Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Anyone else have a nudist dog?

Merlin is such a nudist. He fuses with harnesses, scratches at collars and is SO HAPPY at the end of the day when I take them both off. I have tried all kinds of collars (super soft nylon, hemp, leather) nope nope nope! lol he just doesn't like them!

haha he has grown out of "fussing" with his collar/harness (scratching at them etc..) but still, you can tell from how impatient he is to have them off that he does not approve

It sucks because he has so much cute stuff and he works at a dog store but he will NOT go to bed at night with a collar on lol I even had him checked by the vet to see if maybe it was an allergy or something, nope! He is just fussy.

Anyone else have this problem? Have you found a super light collar that they are fine with?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche didn't like wearing collars until I got his Ella's Lead collar, which is lined in suede and super soft/smooth. He still messes with it sometimes, but that usually means it needs to be cleaned.

Logan HATES wearing pretty much anything, but he accepts the harness, vest, and collar, and the halti when needed, without fuss. He actually never, ever fussed over the halti, which really surprised me. He goes naked at home more to preserve his coat than to satisfy a deep-seated urge to be naked But sometimes he still pouts about putting the harness on, until he realizes that means we're going somewhere. If I'm just putting it on to measure/adjust things, he knows it, and acts like it's torture

If you want something minimalist, maybe a super light, super simple, polypropylene (lighter than nylon, it floats) collar with a small slide-on tag? You can get collars with no buckle even, the only hardware can be a slide to adjust it with - and that can even be plastic. Or a braided collar tag (like Braid-a-Roo makes), those seem fairly unobtrusive.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Owned by Belgians

I have this problem sometimes at obedience trials. My dogs never wear collars at home, so when we are in the ring, Balto has more than once, plopped on his butt to scratch his neck.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

My dogs always fuss with their collars after a while, but I think that's because my parents will NOT leave a collar on them at home. If we get back from something and I leave the collar home my mom is like "why is his collar on him?"

"BECAUSE HE'S A DOG?!?"

I have a feeling they'd be fine with them on if they were used to them.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey's the opposite. She panics if she DOESN'T have a collar on

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Chloe doesn't love collars either and most of them rub the fur off of her neck, but I found an ADORABLE cheetah print collar at DOLLAR TREE for $1 (obviously lol) and it's perfect!! It's cheap so it's super light weight. I have it on her as a tag collar and it doesn't bother her at all, she even sleeps in it. She has a puppia harness for walking.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Little dog, big voice

Moses seems a lot more comfortable without a collar on, so I just put it on for walks and that's it.

Cali loves being a "nudist" but at minimum she always has her harness on unless she just had a bath and she's drying off. My sister always says, "oh my goodness Cali, you actually look like a dog!" whenever she doesn't have a collar/harness/sweater on. But, at five pounds, sweaters are obligatory when it's -35 degrees outside.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

I guess my dogs are nudists lol. I very seldom have collars on them (and NEVER in a crate unless under direct supervision), but having said that if they are wearing a collar they don't seem to mind.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

Jackson's neutral about nudity. I don't really think he cares either way... I do typically take his collar off when it's bed time, but he really wouldn't fuss with it either way and has slept with his collar on before. He's even slept with his Puppia harness on before... I just forgot.

Sweaters/coats/etc though... when we come inside, he will rub against all the furniture and the floor like it bothers him. I never leave clothes on him when we're inside.

Puppia is the only harness I will leave on him for really long periods of time though. They're so comfy and he just doesn't even notice they're on really like he does sometimes with other harnesses.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Behavior Nerd

Mine used to wear them 24/7 except when crated so they don't mind collars. In fact, most of them get super excited when they get a collar put on because it means we are going somewhere. Aeri's so thrilled she shoves her head into any collar I pull off the hook...