Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Ever go through phases?

Anyone else go through phases where they are really into dog stuff for a while, and then kinda fade out, and then go back, etc? If that makes sense.

I've been really indifferent lately.... I used to do training sessions with him almost every night (even if it was only for 10-15 mins), I used to make youtube videos of him all the time (feat. his tricks, and just whatever, all edited and dubbed with music), and I've even been a bit blah about agility. His class ended last night and I'm not doing another for a bit, partially because $150 every 6 weeks isn't feasible right now, but I also just find myself not feeling like going certain nights, even though we both always have fun once we get there and it is awesome to see him really thriving.

It's even been too cold and windy to do much outside (for my sake). We actually prefer the cold, but the cold wind is what is killer. Makes it impossible to do much out there.

But I am positive that by late spring, I'll be itching to get back into agility, and try new things like dock diving and nose work. But lately I've been content to be home with him, and doing much of nothing, LOL. Maybe it's just because we're getting closer to spring and have a winter slum going on. He's been okay with it surprisingly, for the most part. But he can only go so many days of being in the house, so we have to do something, or even a pet store visit etc. And I'm getting a feel of just being a regular ole' dog owner, hahaha... where, ya know, you feed them, play a little bit in the house, potty breaks, occasional walks. No dog sports, and that sort of thing.

Or maybe it's because he's 4 now, and we've been doing basically the same things for 4 years, and he knows so many tricks, etc, it's all just repetitive. It's not that I don't have fun with him anymore at all - he's still so willing to learn, and excited to do so, and loves being active outside, etc, I guess I've just been lazy

Lol, but I didn't know if anyone else goes through these kinds of phases. Where you do a bunch of dog stuff all the time, and then you kinda just... put it on the back burner. I'm sure I'll start again (being obsessed with looking at collars and supplies for him, getting into more dog sports, finding more new places to take him and travel with, all that stuff).

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

Me! I don't get the option to quit doing everything though...I think my dogs would stage a rebellion and overthrow us if I did. I will go to one a week training sessions and slack off on running them as much as possible (which is still every other day for Tipper and every third day for Mu). I think the fact that I can only have one of them in class at a time helps keep me from burning out. For the four week period that all three of them were in classes I almost lost my mind - and I got super burnt out and had to take a month off afterwards.

I have to say though - we've been running the girls a lot due to Mu's snarky attitude and it's SO NICE. They both settle down in the evenings and Tipper actually sleeps! While we're awake! And doing things! I told Matt yesterday that this must be what it's like to have normal dogs.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
orange iguanas.

Oh I do all the time. Buy all the things, do all the things for a little bit. Sometimes now its like...I don't even want to talk about dogs outside of work lol. I don't care to look anything up or try new products. Its cold so we don't do much. I'm just maintaining our current status lol. The trick of the weeks we have, I was so excited at first and so committed to at least trying them all. But that excitement lasted all of 3 weeks maybe?

Like you, after winter I know I'll get into it again. But right now they're just couch warmers and its easy to stop caring about dog stuff when we aren't doing anything.

That all being said, I still am not very above average even when I'm "on" lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Winter is just a killer for everything. I work Logan every single day since he goes pretty much everywhere with me. But extra things in the winter just don't happen. This time of year, though, the dog show season in my area is starting up soon, so it's time to prepare for those.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

All the time. Which is sad because Merlin is a puppy lol

Merlin has weeks where he goes everywhere, a new adventure everyday, training for all his meal times.. we are just ON.

Lately with work and school and crappy weather. We are totally in "maintenance mode"..
I have days where school and work just suck it all out of me and I just can't handle anything.

He gets fed in the morning, potty break, I go to work/school, he goes to the dog park to tire him out and then I bring him home and just...vegetate.

I feel so bad using the dog park as such an outlet but things have been so stressful and it just..works. He goes crazy there for an hour or two and is fine for the evening.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yup, I think everyone does though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Slave to the Aussie

At this point in agility no. I'm well and truly addicted and in deep.

Other things though? Yes for sure!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Me.
I blame Winter too. Nowhere to go, no desire to train anything, even the stuff that needs fixing. The new guy has had almost no training in the 3 months I've had him, apart from house training
I've taken all the "This is my dog standing in the backyard in the snow" pictures I could possibly take so the camera is gathering dust too.

I keep telling myself soon there will be no cold windy days and no icy salted sidewalks and the happy fun times can begin again.....but soon seems really far away!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Little dog, big voice

I was just thinking about this today... the sidewalks are complete slush and Cali has balls of snow matted on her legs within minutes, so we've been sticking to indoor activities and I've felt pretty bad. We did go on a walk today, but my feet were soaked and she hated all the slush more than I did.

I'm excited for spring though since we're going to enroll in a training class (leaning towards flyball) and we'll be able to go on hikes again and just enjoy being outdoors.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Sort of. I can only slack so much before Mia is impossible to live with. Lately we've been 'slacking' some. Haven't gone out in 3 days really, just played ball and did stuff in the yard. It's been slush and nasty outside.

But... still went to nosework last night. Have agility tomorrow. Been hiking every day off.

Mia's ok with me slacking a couple days a week but she really gets bad after that.