Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

I'm in a pretty dog friendly area. There are a few parks and hiking trails. BSL is non-existent too.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Squishy face

I would say that the Northern VA/DC/MD area is fairly pet friendly. We have Pet Expos and other pet events with massive turnouts, plenty of pet stores (big box and small mom & pop specialty types) and dog parks popping up everywhere, and during the summer there is always a few dogs waiting in line with their people to get ice cream cones or a dog or two on the patios of restaurants. The ice cream places usually offer doggie cones too. Many of the bookstores and little thrift shops have or have had shop cats at some point. I remember a little bookstore where I used to buy books when I went to GMU. They had a big counter that you walked up to, and you would tell them what used book you needed and they would run and get it. They usually had two or three dogs running around back there with them. I remember one was an older a black and white border collie. When I worked at Dollar General the store manager would allow pets in as long as they were kept in the cart. There was a lady who used to bring her little dog with her, and I remember a man who came in with an Iguana on his shoulder.

I would say that, on the whole, people here like pets.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

I don't really know. I mean, there are lots of dog friendly hiking trails, but the dogs must be on a leash. The dog parks are few & far between and have yearly fees. I did take Hudson into the feed store with me one day when we were picking up bird food and I saw someone sitting in the outside seat at McDonald's with their Standard Poodle this summer

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Grace moved to Mexico a few years ago! That's how Amber rescued Cricket from Mexico....she was Grace's foster dog.
And then she moved back to Ohio

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Are you dead yet?

I moved to Ohio a year ago. I live in a town called Ashtabula.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

I live in a pretty dog friendly place. We have a downtown full of restaurants with outdoor patios, farmers markets, most downtown stores have water out for dogs and signs inviting them in, the bank encourages ppl to bring their dogs in, we often have dogs in the funeral home, we have a couple big dog parks.

The only problem I'm really having is finding a good place to do sports. I have to drive 45 min to find anything.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

The suburb where I live (and the ones I've worked in) is not dog friendly at all. It's a large metropolitan area (Twin Cities), so you have a large assortment of Petsmarts/Petcos, small pet food stores, boarding places, dog daycares, groomers, etc, specific dog parks, and you can bring your dog into all of those, obviously. But you can't bring them into many hardware stores, farm stores, etc. There aren't many restaurants with outdoor patios, and some have signs saying no dogs.

I work in the heart of the city, however, and it is VERY dog friendly. There are lots of dog-related places (stores, bakeries, boutiques, daycares, groomers, boarding, training) all very close together. Most of the restaurants have sidewalk seating or roof seating, and I see dogs there all the time on warmer days. I've even seen dogs inside various coffee shops and boutique-clothing type stores. People walk EVERYWHERE, and they bring their dogs with them.

All of the "city dogs" I have met (and you can definitely tell the difference between them and the dogs belonging to people that have driven into the area specifically to go to our store) are extremely well-behaved. Just very chill, content to hang out, like the whole thing is no big deal. It's a refreshing change.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think the area I'm in is very...neutral. There are a public parks where dogs are allowed on leash. There are also some places where there is no real rule, but the unspoken rule is your dogs are off lead only if they are behaving. I've taken my dogs to outdoor patios at fast food restaurants (like DQ, or Igloo! ^^) and was never frowned upon, but it also wasn't desired, either. Apartments around here tend to allow all sizes of dogs, but ban certain breeds due to insurance. I've taken my dogs to farm stores (and pet stores) and they're welcome. *shrugs*

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~