Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Very much so

- Dogs are allowed on public transport (buses, trains)
- nearly all clothing stores/electronics/furniture/anything but food stores I've encountered are dog friendly
- At banks etc..
- Dog friendly apartments are common
- Dog friendly restaurant patios (and a few places with dog items on the menu!)
- Dog friendly parks have off leash dog areas
- Dog people are everywhere lol
- Lots of "doggy business" (Bakeries, day care, groomers, pet stores, pet spas etc..)

The dog culture is strong as well. It's a large, tight knit group. People are strict about picking up poo (poo pickup police!) and dog manners in parks because we DO RISK losing the park access we have if dog owners as a whole misbehave.

If it's an area where dogs aren't allowed off leash or you don't pick up poop..somebody is going to tell you.
If you dog is acting aggressive or you walk into the dog park and don't take your dog off leash.. someone is going to tell you.

It's so much of a MISSION to have a dog in the city that I've noticed when people do, they do it well.
I don't run into a lot of "just the family dog" people. Lol the city is very DOG PEOPLE friendly.

Everyone I encounter who has a dog is really INTO having a dog, which I think is awesome. Everyone has a favorite training center, daycare, park, pet store, dog bakery etc..
I just decided I'm bringing a dog when I visit my in-laws in Boston lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Sport Model Pug

Yes and no.

Dogs are allowed on buses and in banks and most salons.

There are 7 pet stores in a city of 80,000 people. A bit excessive.

We do have three dog parks but they put one on a rattlesnake reserve and the other two are overrun with deer and therefore also coyotes. I don't go to dog parks for those reasons and because people keep an interesting mentality about how dogs behave here.

Most of the public parks, unless there's a festival going on or something, are fairly quiet and as long as your dog is under control no one cares if they're off leash. We have the coulees too (a big hilly valley) and dogs are almost always off leash there.

Izzie is only on leash near roads or when it's busy during a festival (we're usually performing agility demos off leash for those anyway and are being watched closely so we behave when we're not performing).

We have zero dog friendly patios. Even if the dog sits outside the rail. Though we don't have many patios anyway.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Silence, peasants.

I live outside of Boston, so what Fran said.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Top Dog

The suburb I live in is not dog friendly. We have the usual stuff but generally dogs aren't allowed anywhere. I was able to bring them on the patio at Dairy Queen and haven't tried the other patios yet but I'm not holding a lot of hope. I have my secret off leash hiking areas, but dogs aren't really allowed off leash there. I am very, very strict on leashing them up when we see someone though and not allowing them to go say hi as I don't want to get in trouble.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Are you dead yet?

No, where I live (the ghetto, lol) is not even remotely dog friendly. Even the more well to do parts of town are not especially dog friendly.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Very much so

- Dogs are allowed on public transport (buses, trains)
- nearly all clothing stores/electronics/furniture/anything but food stores I've encountered are dog friendly
- At banks etc..
- Dog friendly apartments are common
- Dog friendly restaurant patios (and a few places with dog items on the menu!)
- Dog friendly parks have off leash dog areas
- Dog people are everywhere lol
- Lots of "doggy business" (Bakeries, day care, groomers, pet stores, pet spas etc..)

The dog culture is strong as well. It's a large, tight knit group. People are strict about picking up poo (poo pickup police!) and dog manners in parks because we DO RISK losing the park access we have if dog owners as a whole misbehave.

If it's an area where dogs aren't allowed off leash or you don't pick up poop..somebody is going to tell you.
If you dog is acting aggressive or you walk into the dog park and don't take your dog off leash.. someone is going to tell you.

It's so much of a MISSION to have a dog in the city that I've noticed when people do, they do it well.
I don't run into a lot of "just the family dog" people. Lol the city is very DOG PEOPLE friendly.

Everyone I encounter who has a dog is really INTO having a dog, which I think is awesome. Everyone has a favorite training center, daycare, park, pet store, dog bakery etc..
I need to merge to Portland or to Boston for the first year of my ACD's life. XD Holy socialization opportunities!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Germany as a whole is pretty dog friendly. You can bring your dog into almost all stores (except supermarkets) and you're allowed to bring dogs to reteraunts with outdoor patios and sometimes inside. Depending on where you live there are no leash laws ( my parents town for example). All parks allow dogs anyways.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

Not at all. There are no patio areas. No dogs on buses (we don't even have full sized buses on our public transportation system). No dogs in stores. Half the town doesn't even have sidewalks, so there's not many places to walk dogs. No dogs in parks, aside from the dog parks. No dog classes besides the co/mart ones. You have to drive to Vegas if you want actual dog training classes. (almost an hour and a half away)

There is a little park that has one small stairwell where I so want to take a pic of Goose at in the spring months, and every year I debate if I could sneak her in long enough to snap a few pics I have seen dogs in that park, but it's a no no.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm a little jealous of those who say dogs are allowed on public transit in their areas, though. That is one thing we don't have, unless they're in a carrier.
(although apparently, someone forgot to tell this coyote)
http://seattletransitblog.com/2009/0...portlands-max/
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Lol how cool
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.