Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I think it's the whole mindset of "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" that is a big problem with this society. "we know we are doing wrong but it's easier to just say OOPS sorry... we know we did wrong but just forgive us OK'

NO ... be a decent person and ASK first.
Amen.

I think decency is very much lacking in society today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Well, sure, but I was talking about what the store owners can do when people DO bring their dogs into establishments.
Also the problem is that the more people who bring their pets into stores - and the more practiced store owners get at stopping them at the door and asking questions - the more inconvenient it is for people with service dogs to go about their daily business unbothered.

It's kind of like this: I went clothes shopping the other day. Spent a good hour or more in the store, and ended up with several items of clothing. I checked out with the cashier and was on my way out the door, when the stupid security sensors at the door beeped as I walked through. I had to stop what I was doing, go back to the cashier, she had to pull out all of the items from my bag, find the security tag she'd missed, deactivate it, etc. The whole process probably took less than two minutes, but it was incredibly annoying. All I wanted to do was check out and go home.

That's what it would be like when you have a service dog: every employee in every store would stop you and ask if it's a service dog. It doesn't take much time out of your day, but it's an incredible inconvenience.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
But there are a lot of places where well behaved dogs could possibly be allowed.
But the point is they're not allowed. I'll say it again - if you don't agree, then work to change the laws. Don't just say "Oh, well, I'll do it anyway." Work to change it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

This thread has seriously hit a wall. No one is telling anyone to feel the way THEY do about it. Well, the SD only in public period, otherwise it might make SDs look bad. Let me tell you, in my area, it IS the TRUE SDs that make other SDs look bad.

Everyone has an opinion, respect it, like it, dislike it whatever and move on.

ETA- LoLa is in training at this point and I don't ask for permission to enter. She is very well behaved and if they want to ask her to leave, they can. However, I've never had that happen. Training is important for SDs and technically, SDs in training have no more rights than pets from my understanding of the law....so how do all these SDs get trained?
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Should dogs only ever be in their yard or a car or in a specifically designate dog park? I'll just tell Izzie she's not allowed to go to the bank anymore or to the hardware store because she doesn't belong out of places that are made for dogs specifically.
Oh come on, I don't think anyone's saying that dogs should only go places that are specifically made for dogs. Seriously, there are a lot of places that allow dogs. I've taken dogs to Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, that office supply store next to the Target (I can't remember the name! ), not to mention patio restaurants. There's a mall near me that allow dogs in more than half their stores.

But these places have it posted that dogs are allowed. If I were allergic or in some other way needed to avoid dogs, I would know not to go to these stores. This is not the case when we take dogs places that "don't technically" allow dogs without asking.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Ok... well how about this or that or the other thing.

how about rather than just assuming you just ASK "hey is my dog allowed here" if you have any doubt.

it just really doesn't seem that hard. rather than just "I can do what I want until someone says I can't' how about you just ask if you can before you DO.
LOL i still marvel at the amount of folks who see a dog & go "eww nasty!" I mean have they watched the hygenic practices of some of their fellow humans??? I mean kids are exempt because in a lot of ways they dont know any better, but adults do & they are some of the worst offenders ... I mean just how many employees REALLY wash their hands before returning to work???

I bathe & brush my dog before we go anywhere "public" so I know she is clean & hygenic.

I also disagree with the mindset of: The only dogs that should be allowed ANYWHERE besides 'real' dog areas (hardware stores, pet specatilty stores, dog parks etc ...). Also I am sorry to keep harping on kids but my dogs are better behaved then most people's kids (not the really young ones because they know not) I am talking about the ones who act out even when they know better ... & i always find myself thinking "My dogs are less of a disruption then those kids & they arent even allowed." It's a shame because no onee would really know they where there.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
ETA- LoLa is in training at this point and I don't ask for permission to enter. She is very well behaved and if they want to ask her to leave, they can. However, I've never had that happen. Training is important for SDs and technically, SDs in training have no more rights than pets from my understanding of the law....so how do all these SDs get trained?
Some states allow SDITs to have public access. You should research your state laws (which you can find on the Assistance Dogs International website) to see what your legal options are.

That said, SDs don't NEED full public access to be trained. Like I said in my last post, there are plenty of places that allow pets where you can train.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately, IMO, the purse dog toting people who do no training, far out number those of us that do take the time and effort to train, and will clean up after their dogs. Just as the morons with flexis out number those who have the brain to think "maybe whilst I'm in the store I should keep my dog on a shorter leash. Sad fact is that those people have ruined it for the rest of us. I have yet to go in a petsmart and not find a puddle of pee because some asshat couldn't be bothered to pay attention/clean up after his/her dog. You think that these people wouldn't bring their dogs to other places?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
LOL i still marvel at the amount of folks who see a dog & go "eww nasty!" I mean have they watched the hygenic practices of some of their fellow humans??? I mean kids are exempt because in a lot of ways they dont know any better, but adults do & they are some of the worst offenders ... I mean just how many employees REALLY wash their hands before returning to work???

I bathe & brush my dog before we go anywhere "public" so I know she is clean & hygenic.

I also disagree with the mindset of: The only dogs that should be allowed ANYWHERE besides 'real' dog areas (hardware stores, pet specatilty stores, dog parks etc ...). Also I am sorry to keep harping on kids but my dogs are better behaved then most people's kids (not the really young ones because they know not) I am talking about the ones who act out even when they know better ... & i always find myself thinking "My dogs are less of a disruption then those kids & they arent even allowed." It's a shame because no onee would really know they where there.
Wait... What did this have to do with my post? All I said is ASK before you bring your pet into a store where you A) don't know if they are allowed or B) KNOW they aten't allowed. No where did I say that dogs are ewww yucky or anything like that. So uhhhhh yeah LOL no idea

You can claim injustice all you want but you are still aware of the rules. It is not hard to just ask HEY can i bring my pet here and if they say no... Respect it.

There are Places I am not allowed to bring hannah regardless of the fact that she is a very well mannered child. I don't just say "well screw it, they can just deal with it or make me leave". i don't bring her to places she is not allowed.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Training is important for SDs and technically, SDs in training have no more rights than pets from my understanding of the law....so how do all these SDs get trained?
It depends on the state. Some states afford trainers the same rights as SD handlers. Some only do so for trainers on their special list (like my state). Some don't allow it period.

In my state, only program trainers are allowed access with SDiT. How did I train Logan? Initially we went to pet stores, hardware stores, feed stores, etc. When he was advanced enough to move on, I asked permission. Some places I had to ask permission every time I went. Some places granted me permission on a long-term basis and didn't make me ask each time. Some places I only went to once (like when I went to see Les Mis in KC) and asked permission before I ever made solidi plans to go. I stayed in Motel 6 or other dog-friendly motels when I traveled (still do, actually. I <3 Baymont Inn and Suites).
Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffiangirl View Post
Unfortunately, IMO, the purse dog toting people who do no training, far out number those of us that do take the time and effort to train, and will clean up after their dogs. Just as the morons with flexis out number those who have the brain to think "maybe whilst I'm in the store I should keep my dog on a shorter leash. Sad fact is that those people have ruined it for the rest of us. I have yet to go in a petsmart and not find a puddle of pee because some asshat couldn't be bothered to pay attention/clean up after his/her dog. You think that these people wouldn't bring their dogs to other places?
YES YES YES!! And it's THIS exact reason why most businesses DON'T allow pets! People say "my dogs cause less trouble then kids do", but how the hell is the business owner suppose to know that when they don't know you or your dog? Why should they care? It's their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Also I am sorry to keep harping on kids but my dogs are better behaved then most people's kids (not the really young ones because they know not) I am talking about the ones who act out even when they know better ...
And it's kids like that who usually grow up into adults that think they are above the law and have some right to cram their dogs into the faces of the public, weather the public likes it or not.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb