Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Got Floof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Haven't you said that your SD doesn't go to work or school with you? I mean, if that's true, I assume you're functioning at work or else you wouldn't have a job. Therefore, the statement "I NEED my dog to function" isn't completely correct, nor is it the same as somebody who can't walk using a wheelchair, in your case.
Work environments and social environments aren't even remotely the same thing. I have stuff at work available to me to compensate for my disability that I cannot carry with me into the public areas or outside my home. Not to mention, in a workplace, the people around me are aware of my disability and can react accordingly, which is not the case in social environments.

EDIT: Thanks Saeleofu for the clarification on the legal terminology.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
the whole allergy bit doesn't fly with me. I think it's an overblown excuse. Public places are well ventilated with large volumes of air moved every minute. If you're that sensitive, I'm betting you can't make it to the store in anything other than a bubble

my dogs will break less stuff in a lifetime than the next 10 kids I see out in public will in a weekend
I swear I have read these exact words before. Have you posted this exact comment in another thread word for word? I'm not asking to be mean, it's just really messing with my head right now. I swear I've read these words before!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I swear I have read these exact words before. Have you posted this exact comment in another thread word for word? I'm not asking to be mean, it's just really messing with my head right now. I swear I've read these words before!
If i did it was one heck of a consequence, but I'm sure I've said something similar in the past as it's not a new thought of mine.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I just see purposely lying about something to fufill a want as totally on a different level than other things we are discussing here. And I am sure at some point the amount of dogs in a place would become an issue. If you start having multiple dogs in small restaurants, stores, etc I can see where limits would start being set (which would make the handicap parking comparison valid).
Bolded what I think is the difference here. I speed, though not recklessly, I have no problems admitting it. If I was pulled over I wouldn't lie nor would I complain later about being pulled over. I was speeding. It doesn't matter if I was going 65 in a 60 rather than 90 in a 60, it doesn't matter if I was weaving in and out of traffic cutting people off; I was speeding and I was breaking the law. Bringing your well-behaved pet dog somewhere it is not allowed under the guise of it being a service dog is breaking the law, regardless if you're bothering anybody else or if you agree with the law or not. There's a part of town around here where the speed limit is 30 and several cops I know have told me they think it's stupid to be 30 MPH out there... but it is, and people speed, and they still pull people over and write tickets. If something is illegal and you disagree with the law, work to change it rather than just breaking the law because you feel like it.

Quote:
Haven't you said that your SD doesn't go to work or school with you? I mean, if that's true, I assume you're functioning at work or else you wouldn't have a job. Therefore, the statement "I NEED my dog to function" isn't completely correct, nor is it the same as somebody who can't walk using a wheelchair, in your case.
It's incorrect to assume somebody in a wheelchair or using a cane needs those items 100% of the time. I know a girl with cerebral palsy who needs (and uses) her wheelchair sometimes, but not all the time; I worked with a guy who was in a wheelchair all the time, but could do a few limited thngs without it - he, however, chose to use his wheelchair all the time while the girl I know chooses not to.
So it is a correct comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Have fun on your moral high ground.
Oh pot kettle black. <3

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBark View Post
Work environments and social environments aren't even remotely the same thing. I have stuff at work available to me to compensate for my disability that I cannot carry with me into the public areas or outside my home. Not to mention, in a workplace, the people around me are aware of my disability and can react accordingly, which is not the case in social environments.

EDIT: Thanks Saeleofu for the clarification on the legal terminology.
Yes, but claiming its just like a wheelchair, and then saying that you only bring it when its convenient, if offensive. Many People in wheelchairs don't have that choice. They bring the wheelchair convenient or not

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Bolded what I think is the difference here. I speed, though not recklessly, I have no problems admitting it. If I was pulled over I wouldn't lie nor would I complain later about being pulled over. I was speeding. It doesn't matter if I was going 65 in a 60 rather than 90 in a 60, it doesn't matter if I was weaving in and out of traffic cutting people off; I was speeding and I was breaking the law. Bringing your well-behaved pet dog somewhere it is not allowed under the guise of it being a service dog is breaking the law, regardless if you're bothering anybody else or if you agree with the law or not. There's a part of town around here where the speed limit is 30 and several cops I know have told me they think it's stupid to be 30 MPH out there... but it is, and people speed, and they still pull people over and write tickets. If something is illegal and you disagree with the law, work to change it rather than just breaking the law because you feel like it.

It's incorrect to assume somebody in a wheelchair or using a cane needs those items 100% of the time. I know a girl with cerebral palsy who needs (and uses) her wheelchair sometimes, but not all the time; I worked with a guy who was in a wheelchair all the time, but could do a few limited thngs without it - he, however, chose to use his wheelchair all the time while the girl I know chooses not to.

Oh pot kettle black. <3
Oh Beanie. I think I love you. Marry me?
Got Floof?

Quote:
Yes, but claiming its just like a wheelchair, and then saying that you only bring it when its convenient, if offensive. Many People in wheelchairs don't have that choice. They bring the wheelchair convenient or not
Splitting hairs, you are, yessssssssssss.....

I have to deal with my disability whether there's a dog at my side or not. A wheelchair is a tool to aid an impairment, just like a SD. Some disabilities have more variety of tools available to them, but they are still tools that are used in our lives.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
If i did it was one heck of a consequence, but I'm sure I've said something similar in the past as it's not a new thought of mine.
Hmm. Maybe it was just similar enough to trigger the deja vu response in my brain.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

Oh pot kettle black. <3
I missed be part where she specified she's only talking about some people with wheelchairs, apparently.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

There are a lot of places that I wish dogs were allowed (like pubs) and lots of places that I don't think dogs should be (clothing stores). A dog is a dog whether it's a SD or a pet, and I'd rather no dogs be in some places, period. If you need the dog and it's prescribed, or if dogs are allowed, fine. But if you can leave your dog outside the eg clothing store, I'd personally rather you did.

If there's a SD in a pub, fine, if there's a faker in a pub, great, if someone has just overtly brought their pet dog into a pub great. I don't care because I think it's a fine place for a dog.

And SD or otherwise, ill-behaved dogs should be evicted unless it's necessary the dog be there and the establishment is OK with it.

I really don't have any particularly strong feelings about any of it, I suppose I feel some very mild annoyance on behalf of non-animal people who their new black garment has those very fine little dog undercoat hairs on it