Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Yep. I'm going through it now because of the weather. Too cold to be doing much outside. The weather here goes from cold to rain which makes it worse. Add that up with take classes, dog stuff has definitely taken a back seat for now.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

I don't really. I might shift focuses for a bit but the dogs get worked every day in some form.

During the summer/fall I was so focused on disc but with the snow, it's really hard to get out there to play without the risk of injury. So we've been working agility hardcore instead. Tricks are done when we don't get any sports training in, same with exercise ball/treadmill. Luckily, the majority of the tricks can be used for our freestyle disc routine, so in a way, we are still working on that stuff.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I don't really. I might shift focuses for a bit but the dogs get worked every day in some form.
Yes that is exactly what I wanted to say!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

I guess you could say I'm going through a "phase" right now with Aiden. He's always been difficult to train because he really lacks motivation to do anything. He is a perfect pet, but not quite cut out to be a working dog. Right now, I'm exhausted with just trying to get him to want to train. If I could, I would train structured sessions with him every single day, regardless of the weather, but his attitude just makes it really tiring. I don't want to make him do something that he doesn't want to do, but I really don't want to give up training all together... It's selfish of me to try and make him do something that he hates. It's a rather depressing point in my training career with him at this moment. I'm hoping that once the snow melts we can get back to tracking and it'll get me out of this funk.

That or I need to get serious about bringing in a working line puppy to give Aiden the rest that he wants. Hoping my job/living situation settles out in the next few weeks..
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

I'm going through a phase right now - but my circumstances are a bit different. I'm dog-less until the end of March. I have a batch of DVDs that I really should watch and take notes on before I get them back, but my heart hasn't been in it to be honest and I'm missing them like crazy. But I must try soon because I am always time poor when they are around because I'm doing stuff with them. Great opportunity to catch up on the stuff I've been meaning to do.

I only started to feel ok when I made plans for the temporary fencing - seemed so much more real. They are coming home!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I always like doing stuff with my dogs, like playing, walking grooming ... The things that most people consider the "chore" aspect of dogs, kind of like horses ... I actually ENJOY the cleaning/bathing/saddling part more then the riding (riding is WORK, man!) the ground stuff is a lot easier then riding lol.

I am kind of burnt out when it comes to horses ... Just dealing with their **** & whatnot, I am glad I will be able to take a while off & actually spend time with my DOGS LMBO.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I don't, but my wallet does
Aheheh.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I don't, but my wallet does
^this! I'd do herding and dock diving year round. Heck, now that it's closer, I'd even try agility again. If my wallet allowed.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Got Floof?

I wouldn't really say I go through phases. There are nights I'm too tired to do so, but I'm always doing something with Kobe at least 4 nights a week. It's usually teaching him pointless things, free shaping, etc etc. I really don't ever put any of the behaviors on cue. I've been pretty consistent about it for as long as I can remember except for times I am physically unable to do so.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13