Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

You can use a tampon. Or a straw wrapped in cast padding. Or double up on the BRS.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I wouldn't use a toothpick or anything hard. Too much risk for injury that way. I'm not really sure what you could use since I have no experience gluing/taping for erect ears that aren't cropped, but definitely make sure that whatever you use is somewhat pliable. I know for Dobe puppies, a lot people seem to use backer rod wrapped with duct tape for sturdiness. That way it's stiff, but the ear can still be played with and bent without getting injured.
That makes sense. I was told to use a popsicle stick by my trainer, but I don't have any and I thought they'd be too big. I ran out of breath right strips. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
You can use a tampon. Or a straw wrapped in cast padding. Or double up on the BRS.
Straw is a great idea, thanks! I have a lot of those!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Part of the reason I was so keen to adopt my first Stafford, Elmo, was the ears:

At an agility trial early on, someone once asked me:

"Does it bother you that his ears don't match?"

I said no, I liked them, and she said,

"it would drive me crazy!"

Which I'm guessing is why she has cropped Great Danes.
Omigosh they match

Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you get the tape/glue off when you're ready to see how they stand? Or do you just wait for it to come off on it's own?

Also... how long do most people glue ears for? A week, weeks? Thanks!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you get the tape/glue off when you're ready to see how they stand? Or do you just wait for it to come off on it's own?

Wait for it to come off on its own. Don't mess with it. You could screw it up.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

With Logan's, I use acetone or GooGone to remove glue before a show (depending on the type of glue). Otherwise I just let it wear off on its own so I don't pull hair out or anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Uni-Solve adhesive remover wipes are awesome for clearing off stray glue, too.
We just wait until the ear comes out on it's own... then clean it up with the wipes and let it go for a day to see how it's doing. Then you re-glue to adjust. If you're just trying to get prick ears you don't need to worry so much about waiting to see how you need to adjust, so when they come out, clean all the old glue out then re-set.
If you're in it for the long haul, keep taping until he's a year old. Payton's ears were glued until he was a year old, then I promised him he would never have to deal with it again unless it's right before a show (they aren't perfect but you can re-glue an adult's ears to get them to look right for about a day or two.)

Realistically ears are usually done by the time all their adult teeth come in, but sheltie breeders argue about when they are "really" done, and it doesn't hurt the dog, so I kept going. Once the dog is a year old though, I don't know of anybody who thinks you can make any permanent adjustments past that point.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(they aren't perfect but you can re-glue an adult's ears to get them to look right for about a day or two.)

That's the point I'm at with Logan. His ears stay pretty nice most of the time, but his left one tends to go prick. He has a show in 6 weeks, so I'm keeping them glued most of the time now. I'd love, love, LOVE to get his AKC and UKC Ch so I can be done with gluing his ears for good. It doesn't hurt him, but it's annoying when people ask about why I chopped his ears off like that. THEY'RE NOT CHOPPED OFF, THEY'RE JUST GLUED DOWN!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post

That's what I loved about the skin bond/stoma glue, it came off really easy after about 24 hours, just pealed off, usually left a few little cling-ons behind but they just rolled up and pulled off without really pulling at the skin/hair.

With her, I kept at it for about 2 1/2 months, her ear was crooked for a long while but it slowly straitened itself out and stood up at the same level as the other as she matured and it's hardly noticeable now that it didn't want to stand. Usually I changed out the stay every day as by morning it would be half peeled off her ear on it's own, I would hold her still and slowly peel the rest off by rubbing my finger along it.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I just wanted to say that you should definitely use a tampon.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/