Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
What glue do you use with them, Sara?
I don't use glue, just shave the inside of the ears and stick them on.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I don't use glue, just shave the inside of the ears and stick them on.
Huh! I was under the impression they wouldn't stick if you didn't use glue, too.

I will try them today without first and see if I even need to worry about it.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Huh! I was under the impression they wouldn't stick if you didn't use glue, too.

I will try them today without first and see if I even need to worry about it.
I didn't use glue either. And Blossom's ears were nekkid enough that I didn't even need to shave them.

Honestly, I bought some glue for false eyelashes and it sucked so I just slapped the nasal strip right on her ear and it stayed.

Also, personally, I find that the Walgreen's brand nasal strips were better than the name brand Breathe Rights, mostly because of their shape. YMMV and I'm sure it depends on the dog's ears, but for Blossom they were more comfortable and seemed to stay put longer.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I did eventually tape them on with Classic, just because I had to use two BRS in each ear. Dang long crop.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Grr.

Well, I picked up the strips, shaved his ears (maybe not enough?) and set them in. The right one keeps coming out (two strips now) but the left one is staying in and looking good. Might have to pick up some tear mender unless something else is easier to find/cheaper/better.

BUT, Sir wanted in on the action so I did get this shot with my phone...

Recon is hiding in a dark corner from me currently.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

I taped Roust's ears. I tried gluing but couldn't get him to leave them alone long enough for the glue to really set. I used a lightweight 1" Johnson & Johnson tape that was somewhat waterproof. It was not PyrShep proof though :/

His ears are ok now, still weak and not perfect but they stand unless he's sleepy, stressed or thinking too hard. He genetically would not have standing ears, at least one of his ears would be flopped. All of the litter I have seen that he and Blossom came from had one or both ears down and their sire has floppy ears. Sometimes you can tape and tape or glue and glue but it's hard to get perfect standing ears from dogs who's ears genetically wouldn't stand. I probably could have taped Roo's a lot more but...he hated it and his ears standing most of the time is good enough for me

Roo taped (bad cell pic):

Standing ears:

Relaxed:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Bite me.

I found using two breath right strips helped a great deal. One straight up and down like you show in the picture, then another that crosses that one to help brace it.

I DID end up gluing them, but they would stay in a couple days without extra glue. I used Skin Bond Latex adhesive.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I taped Roust's ears. I tried gluing but couldn't get him to leave them alone long enough for the glue to really set. I used a lightweight 1" Johnson & Johnson tape that was somewhat waterproof. It was not PyrShep proof though :/

His ears are ok now, still weak and not perfect but they stand unless he's sleepy, stressed or thinking too hard. He genetically would not have standing ears, at least one of his ears would be flopped. All of the litter I have seen that he and Blossom came from had one or both ears down and their sire has floppy ears. Sometimes you can tape and tape or glue and glue but it's hard to get perfect standing ears from dogs who's ears genetically wouldn't stand. I probably could have taped Roo's a lot more but...he hated it and his ears standing most of the time is good enough for me

Roo taped (bad cell pic):

Standing ears:

Relaxed:
So funny, they have the exact same ear set, with the pockets in the same place.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
I found using two breath right strips helped a great deal. One straight up and down like you show in the picture, then another that crosses that one to help brace it.

I DID end up gluing them, but they would stay in a couple days without extra glue. I used Skin Bond Latex adhesive.
What I did was, they had just came out with the newer BRS that have a 3rd support in them and I found they worked better than the "regular" variety, also the clears don't stick well at all (not even on me). I started with just the strip stuck in by itself, but as I said, she broke out in a rash .

And that's the other name of that glue! I knew it had a different name, I was told to get "Stoma glue" which is also called Skin bond, I liked using it a lot, but will say yes, it is a little harder to apply if you have a very wiggly dog, which is why I usually did it during her feeding time in the morning.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Well, I picked up some tear mender this morning because the strips were not sticking by themselves. Set them this morning with strips PLUS some medical tape over them at another angel to reinforce at a crease. Seems to be working great! I crated him for most of the day and he is only allowed out by himself to prevent the other dogs from noming on his ears, so hopefully they will set well and STAY there this time; those were my last two strips. Lol. I did get a coupon for 1.50 off the next package though.