Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
This is going to sound weird (and probably dumb considering all the other very sound advice you've gotten) but better socialization to hats, sunglasses, and facial hair. And tall/big men with deep voices.
Yes. Hats

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post

I plan to get Future Puppy used to ALL things vet visit/grooming/handling related as soon as possible. Restraint positions for blood draws (neck, legs), chilling out in a kennel, nail trims, ear cleaning, teeth brushing, physical exams (and all the weirdness that goes with it), being able to settle on his side if needed, being rolled over and held on his back, getting wet in unexpected places (alcohol or surgical scrub), etc., etc. Also getting used to the force dryer and baths.

After dealing with untrained, idiot dogs at work, I want my dogs to be the model patient. Cynder, Cooper, Gracie, and Chloe are all great. With Chloe and Cynder I can't blow dry their ears, and Cooper hates having his nails done, but other than that they're great. (If I'm the one restraining Chloe, that is.)
So much this! Juno and Lucy are actually both wonderful for vet procedures. Juno moreso, probably because I was in tech school when she was a pup and practiced everything on her! So handling is definitely always a priority for me.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Handling, handling, handling. Jackson HATES to be handled by other people. He is a nervous WRECK at the vet, hates being groomed, hates having his nails cut, hates being crated.

I will definitely work on that kind of stuff first and foremost. Probably attempt to take next pup to the vet just for fun visits, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Immediately start nails, and teeth brushing too.

Noises. I know sometimes you can't help this but I really wish Jackson wasn't so noise sensitive to guns, fireworks, alarms, etc. I think maybe had I exposed him early on, before the fear started, that it wouldn't be so bad. With my dad teaching me how to shoot now and stuff, I wish I could take him with me, but alas, he'd have a heart attack.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

-Asking to jump on/off furniture.
I worked on A LOT (general manners wise) with Merlin.. but I really let this slip. I sat on the sofa, he jumped up next to me. He was never impolite about it so I just let it slide.
Now I have a dog who ASSUMES he is allowed on furniture and hops up when I sit or whenever he wants to really.

Push him off? It's a game! YAY! JUMP UP AGAIN! LOL

- Ignoring people/waiting to greet people.
Merlin went through a bit of a fear period, so I UBER SOCIALIZED him. Other people got treats to give him, people wanted to say hi to him.. so now he assumes EVERYONE wants to say hi to him.

It's lucky he's so cute because sometimes he will sniff the hand or lick people just walking next to us on the sidewalk and it makes people jump! NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO SAY HI TO YOU MERLIN!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Rewarding more for positive dog experiences. Less time at the dog park where all hard work was ruined in two visits.

My main reason for this reply was to say this should be a sticky.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/