Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Have you tried silky leash training?

It's the only thing that worked for Frag and is working for Recon.
Can you explain this?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Can you explain this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZarFGdcj8s

LOVE this method, been using it for years in all my training classes with a 100 % success
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Can you explain this?
It'd be easier to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZarFGdcj8s

Basically, you start in a small, non-distracting environment and put a little pressure on the dog's lead in one direction. When it turns that way, you mark/treat. It just builds up from there.

I spent many a night with Frag outside of pet stores turning in circles and standing like a fool with a tight leash waiting for him to turn into the pressure, but it totally paid off. He didn't walk on a leash except in pet stores for the first 1.5 years of his life, so he had no idea what a city walk was. Now he's great!

eta; whoops! Someone else shared the same link while I was typing. I recommended it in my first training class last week to a couple and I sure hope it helps them. They need it.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Might give that a whirl! Bodhi is the puller, Fred is ok, but not perfect. He's better on his own. Will try that!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Might give that a whirl! Bodhi is the puller, Fred is ok, but not perfect. He's better on his own. Will try that!
Good luck!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Impulse control- I'd likely do a NILIF program. I'd also work on supervised exposure to things like shoes lying around, so that he would be desensitized to their prescense and not want to eat them on site.

I also wouldnt try to force socialization so much, which is more important for a fearful puppy. If hes not comfortable i'd immediately end the interaction and back up.

I agree with getting the dog comfortable with having things taken from him. When I finally taught Tucker a good retrieve and could get him to bring me his stolen objects it was the greatest thing ever.

Also I wish I had taught him to relax and self occupy sooner. For the longest time he would go steal things and get into all sorts of trouble if he was not being directly interacted with or asleep. So far a while I'd make all sorts of food stuffed toys or try to play with him until he was exhausted. So he didn't learn to deal with having nothing to do in an appropriate manner.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Silence, peasants.

Probably learning to be out and around the house earlier, making having the freedom not some big exciting deal which means it's time to look for trouble. And more socialization, especially to sun glasses.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Behavior Nerd

This may sound uber specific, but I wish I had started ALL of my dogs on rear foot targeting BEFORE front foot or nose targeting. Snipe is soooo much easier to shape in body awareness type things since we started with rear foot instead of front foot.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Just from a pet dog perspective, not a sport dog perspective:

I plan to get Future Puppy used to ALL things vet visit/grooming/handling related as soon as possible. Restraint positions for blood draws (neck, legs), chilling out in a kennel, nail trims, ear cleaning, teeth brushing, physical exams (and all the weirdness that goes with it), being able to settle on his side if needed, being rolled over and held on his back, getting wet in unexpected places (alcohol or surgical scrub), etc., etc. Also getting used to the force dryer and baths.

After dealing with untrained, idiot dogs at work, I want my dogs to be the model patient. Cynder, Cooper, Gracie, and Chloe are all great. With Chloe and Cynder I can't blow dry their ears, and Cooper hates having his nails done, but other than that they're great. (If I'm the one restraining Chloe, that is.)

Sadie learned at a young age how to just lay down and relax when she was on lead (she had to, as she was out in public with us all the time). Chloe knows that lesson as well, and after experiencing my sister's puppy - who has NO idea how to just chill unless he's sleeping - I plan to really implement that as well.

Also, off leash recalls. Puppy will be started Day One on off leash behavior. Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper are all great off leash and I want Future Puppy to enjoy off lead time in parks and such as well.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Top Dog

Self-control has been the A-#1 focus this past year. And Miss Grace is still a work in progress, though at a year old, finally so much better! Love relaxation protocol and place work for this. And she had to learn to be bored, which is still often a challenge.

Her recall is pretty awesome, for which I'm grateful. Her breeder started it early and it's a super fun game for her so it's been easy to reinforce.

We also focus a good amount of time on Bailey-Grace dynamics.

My only real "advice" is to remember that dogs change over time and keep in mind that it's a forever process. For example, G recently started demonstrating some (very mild) resource guarding behaviors -- something easily missed or dismissed, but we're working on it so it doesn't turn into anything.

Bailey and Grace are very, very different dogs, so probably some of it is breed and dog specific. Gracie is a typical happy-go-lucky bouncy golden and everything rolls off her back, whereas Bailey could absolutely have benefitted from more confidence building at an earlier age.