Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: What's your preference?
I do conformation and don't want a working dog. 3 5.56%
I have working dogs and don't want to do conformation. 15 27.78%
I'm open to suggestions... 26 48.15%
Banana cream pie. 15 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Default Changing Preferences (dogs/breeders/etc)

I know some people are diehard conformation fans (I am talking specifically about the activity of showing, not looking for good conformation in a dog in general), some people are diehard working fans, and a lot of people fall somewhere in the middle.

I realized that with the last litter I was seriously interested in, I was willing to compromise on my "no foo-foo show dogs" rule to get ALL THE OTHER things I wanted in a breeder/breeding. I about fell over when I realized it!

If you have a specific activity/line of dogs you're interested in, do you think there's anything that would make you "switch" so to speak?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

I like to think I'm a pretty open minded person.

I don't think I will ever stop preferring working line dogs over showlines. It's just kind of a moral thing for me. That's not to say I bash or hate people breeding showlines, it just doesn't strike my fancy.

However, I've "always" (I'm 20 so I've only been involved with dogs on my own since I was 17) been more of a performance type of person, thinking I didn't have enough skill for working and didn't want to be a snobby prick in the show ring. Recently all that has changed. I'm considering getting a show quality pup in the next two years and trying out conformation because it's recently appealed to me for some reason. I'm also planning on taking some lessions with Recon on sheep and taking him to a family's farm for some real work.

And again, I don't think I would ever go to a breeder of a working lined dog, unless there was work in the particular breeding as well, ie. a GSD german show line doing bitework as well would be OK if I liked everything else about the dogs being bred. But I am not against going to a conformation breeder if I like a breed that doesn't do a lot of work any more or wasn't bred to work anything. I would go to an Am Staff breeder that showed in conformation, but I would be looking for lines/pairings that also trialed; whether in Sch, DD, Lure Coursing, WP, etc.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

I voted Banana Pie because.....let's be honest, I don't know enough of what's going on to have an opinion.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I want all in one.

I suppose you could call Payton a confirmation dog because his mom and dad are show dogs only. However (mom's side) his grandma is a working dog and his great-grandma is a working dog and so on and so forth; he was selected because his attitude was right for a working dog, and it was clearly passed on from that side of the family because he acts like he belongs in that family LOL. He is quite pretty and we would like to possibly show him as well, but it was his attitude that was the winner.

I would not want a confirmation-bred dog without working attitude. Dogs who are "just" show dogs are not my ideal and I would have never gone with Payton if, despite his mom belonging to a show breeder, his mom had not been bred by my working breeder, and I had her help determining that he had what it takes. I would probably do it again if there was another situation where a breeder had a dog out of working lines but they only did confo, yet they had produced a little farm dog from their directly confo-only breeding... not my ideal though.

But confirmation on top of working does not scare me off; in fact it delights me. Working dogs only are nice, but I really love to see that there's an effort being made to keep the dog looking true to the standard rather than "this dog is fast, who cares if it looks so un-sheltie like that people constantly ask if it's a mix? BREED IT." It doesn't mean they have to be putting EVERY dog in the show ring but an indication of effort is nice IMO.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
such sights to show you

Well there really aren't conformation breeders in the type I'm most interested in for the future, but hypothetically speaking I'm not diehard anything so I'd be open to suggestions.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't know. I've had a dog from a show/sport breeder, and then the dogs since him have been from straight up show breeders. I'd buy from a working breeder, a show breeder, a sport breeder, or whatever breeder if the dogs they produce are what I like. It really depends on the breed and the breeder in general.

I don't see myself ever getting involved in conformation again. Beau was enough for me. I don't think I will ever need a serious working dog either. I think stock work is interesting but if I get involved it will be purely from a hobby/sport perspective. My interest these days is in dogs that will be my pet and sports partner. So I want a dog that is well put together, healthy, and has proper temperament/drives for the breed. What the breeder gets classified as really doesn't concern me at all.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Twin 2

Right now I'm kinda going through that with Greyhounds. I've for a long time been working/sport breeder person; I've never really have any desire to get a dog bred conformation.

That being said, it seems like what I'm looking for in a Greyhound will be found in, as they call it, An AKC Breeder. I honestly like the look of racing and hunting greyhounds better but so far believe that what I want will be more inline with a show breeder. Though, my hope is (and something I think I've found) is for a breeder that shows but also courses.

But, to be honest I'm not one for hard rules about what I want in a breeder. I have a couple (No alter contract being the main) but I'm pretty willing to compromise on most things to find the right dog for me.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

For the two breeds i am interested in for my someday dogs I am looking at breeders who do both, now neither of these breeds ave strictly working breeders here, at least that I have found, but I am looking for a dog with beauty and brains, not just ne or the other.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Resident fainting goat

I like conformation dogs and will likely always go to show breeders (who also dabble in performance because that is important to me as well!)

I prefer the temperaments, I like knowing the look I am getting and their work as show dogs more closely resembles my life than that of a working dog, so I figure it's the most logical choice for me.

I also tend to prefer the more..modern (if that's the right word) breeding philosophies more commonly found in show breeders. I checked out A LOT of working aussie breeders and just couldn't find the right fit (health testing, performance, focus on temperament,early neurological stimulation, dogs living inside the home etc..) I have no doubt they exist it just in my search was not nearly as common or easy to find.

That said, I have an open mind. At the end of the day it's about the dog/puppy I am getting, not the politics. I went with a show breeder because she was the right fit and I loved the dogs she was producing. Not because I was on the show side of the show vs. working debate. I honestly don't care.. if she bred working dogs and they were a great fit and these dogs had never seen a show ring, I wouldn't mind either.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Silence, peasants.

I really like dogs from working lines, so I'll probably stick with those, I don't see how I would be swayed.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle