Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Recon hates Bogey, so we've been working on a lot of LAT lately with the two of them.

We've been getting out to stores a lot and Recon doesn't even need treats in a pet store for 10-15 minutes to behave properly and happily. WIN!

Bogey on the other hand...

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Since distractions in novel environments are our nemesis right now, I've been trying to take Squash out to some pet-friendly businesses. Just practicing attention, leave it, and short stretches of heeling.

Today we were at PetCo and as a reward for walking nicely I let him watch the glass cage full of budgies for a few minutes. He just stood there motionless with his nose smooshed against the glass, staring. I'm sure if I'd been across the cage from him I would have seen little buck teeth lol. And the budgies didn't seem to give any effs, they just stared right back at him.
You should bring him to my work. I can provide distractions

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Mutts to you

Picked up the book Alphabet Drills, so we're working on those. Been taking my little portable jumps over to the neighbor's pasture (it's got more open areas so I can space out the jumps properly and not smack into a tree while running the sequence, although I'm sure Riley would find that amusing).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Down. Focus. Body Blocking. Brace work. Directional cues.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 AM
BusterLove

Buster: Just trying to find time to get out and walk him.

Quinn: Working on breaking down her dog reactivity and work on her ongoing impulse control issues. Plus restarting her agility foundations.... and scent detection training.

... inbetween working 8-12 hours, 6-7 days a week.

Now that she can come to work with me most days fitting in keeping her happy is easier. Plus I'm either at work training or at work at my trainers house grooming so if I'm at training she is atleast getting lots of exposure to other dogs and at the Salon I can take her and leave her in the backyard with my trainers shepherd. She doesn't want to make friends yet but we're getting there. He's being very patient with her.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Silence, peasants.

Got Crate Games in the mail, so I went over the first few sessions with Wesley tonight. The DVD is really for puppy purposes, but we did it just for fun. I sometimes forget how smart Wes is, he's so quick to catch on. We've also been working on recalls, he's been fantastic at calling off his biggest distractions, other dogs. He may be finally growing a brain at the tender age of 2 1/2!

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

Zuma: Smoothing out our disc freestyle routine, rebuilding a couple tricks (oh silly sensitive girl), and teaching a couple new ones.

Zinga: We are doing a lot of foundation contact work right now. Full height dog walk is going well, lowered a-frame is going well and teeter with a 16" table is going well. We are also working on driving ahead for jumps and will start weaves soon (I LOVE WEAVES). We are also working out disc stuff right now which is proving to be interesting with spazzoid-leg girl.

Zip Tie: The husband has been working a lot with him (YAY!), I know they are working on pivoting around a pedestal in prep for heeling and doing a lot of "spot" training. He's also becoming desensitized to garage noises, good thing he has such a stable temperament because I can't even stand being in the garage when Tim's working. He's also in my puppy k right now and doing awesome around all the distractions. The only thing I'm working on him with is focus and impulse control when dogs are moving. We do a lot of group play sessions currently where each dog has their own toy to play with me. He's doing well but every now and then goes into "attack Zinga" mode. Nothing worrisome at all though, just normal puppy dog excitement.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
such sights to show you

I've started playing around with some of the rally exercises with Pip at home. He is really loving it and is surprisingly good at it. I might start taking him to class with me to see how he does there... but he is really sensitive to unfamiliar environments and can get shut down, so I don't know that it will ever be anything we do away from home. At least he's having fun, though.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Getting in shape, the dogs are all soft and put of shape. It's werkin time.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
such sights to show you

Yea, me too. I let the youngsters put on a little padding for the winter since we were out playing in the snow so much, but unless I can sneak a run in tomorrow morning I think our skijoring season is over.