Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
We got our Hero Air discs in the mail today!!! And I've spent my whole morning (at work) on Pawsitive Vybe's youtube channel!!

I can't wait to go home and practice some throws (for me) and some rollers and flatwork for the Bone. I've started compiling a list of foundational things we can work on.
This makes me happy!! Videos, lots of videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
-Starting Susan Salo's Puppy Jumping tomorrow as long as I can cut up these pool noodles with scissors
You can totally cut pool noodles with scissors! I used to use cut up noodles to post Classic's ears.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

I've been slacking on impulse control work with Zinga lately and it's showing. Last summer, she could easily hold her spot while I played disc with Zuma. Now I'm lucky if I can get 2 tosses in before she comes barreling at us!

So last night we did sequential "mat" games (crate games but with mats instead), especially quick releases and sending one dog to a mat while calling the other off. Zinga nailed it!

I've also been sprucing up her heel because I haven't worked on it since she was a puppy. I'm surprised to say that her heel is awesome!! I'm so happy about that.

In agility, Zinga is working on reading deceleration/acceleration cues, 2x2's, driving on the teeter (figuring out the "clutch"), and hitting the 2o2o on the dogwalk. I haven't had her on an a-frame for a while so we'll have to go back to that.

Zuma is in footstall bootcamp. Somewhere, somehow, it fell apart and we have to build it back up. So now we've turned it into a game of fetch: footstall, sit pretty, off, ball gets thrown, call for footstall on the retrieve, she jumps up, drops ball on my face, sit pretty, off, ball gets thrown, repeat. I'm really, really liking the improvement I'm seeing! No more hesitation on the jump up, nice collection so she doesn't overshoot it and no more hesitation on the sit pretty!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM
The Monster.

Zuma's foot stall sounds awesome. :3

As for Cohen and me, tricks tricks tricks, always tricks. We're polishing up her leg weaves (I lost them for a long time when I taught her to stand underneath my legs and/or backwards weaving) and it's getting really fast and fluid. I'm also working on her walking forward while balancing on two legs for her "be people" trick (backwards is always easier for her) as well as introducing a "dance" cue which is just a spin on two legs.

We're also doing some disc basics and working on a basic vault off my body, simple flip catches and some drive to catch longer throws. I've also learned to throw a disc more reliably, and it's giving me some confidence to progress.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
Zuma's foot stall sounds awesome. :3

As for Cohen and me, tricks tricks tricks, always tricks. We're polishing up her leg weaves (I lost them for a long time when I taught her to stand underneath my legs and/or backwards weaving) and it's getting really fast and fluid. I'm also working on her walking forward while balancing on two legs for her "be people" trick (backwards is always easier for her) as well as introducing a "dance" cue which is just a spin on two legs.

We're also doing some disc basics and working on a basic vault off my body, simple flip catches and some drive to catch longer throws. I've also learned to throw a disc more reliably, and it's giving me some confidence to progress.
Zuma is always better "walking" backwards too! We are working on balancing while walking forwards.

I want video proof of yours and Cohen's disc work!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I really am jealous of the awesome hind end awareness your dogs have. We're working on heeling backwards without swinging out, it's a slow process but I am thrilled he can make a step or two now because he used to drop into a sit and statue up or spaz out if I nudged him. He's finally up and trying so that's cool. If we can straighten him out for a good amount I may try weaving backwards.

We're still building core strength for a sit pretty, he is long in the loin this is harder for him but he's getting it.

We're working on rear foot targeting off contacts as part of class even though he already has a pretty steady 2o2o, it could use proofing so we're taking the excitement out and making it easier to focus with the phone book.

Also we're working on walking backwards through a ladder.

More on forward drive, we'll click and releasing for any obstacle focus now but it's feeding his ever failing impulse control so balancing that with line up drills near equipment is another biggie.

Mmmm I think that's it?

Oh and proofing weave entrances.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:42 PM
The Monster.

Here's another video of our handstand. I'm pleased that we're actually getting some decent duration now. I feel like both the dog and I are on the right track and it's just a matter of time to get the duration way up and Cohen hopefully taking a few steps.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Crazy Dog!

SO much to update! I have really been at it with this foundations class and taking 2 (was 3) dogs through it.

LOTS to do.

Zen went for his surgery this morning, so he will be in the recovery/rehab phase for a few months.

Gus is still working on ALL things foundation and making tons of progress.

Rumor is also working on foundations, mainly just for fun and to keep her active.

Here's a link to my blog with video of ALL of it.

http://outlinepupdate.blogspot.com
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

My ultimate goal for Frodo is to be able to ask him for a down/stay and for him to be able to do so calmly while another dog walks by.

I so badly want to be able to walk Frodo and Siri together, but I won't until he is able to accomplish that task. So I am working on it with both of them right now on separate walks. To help it along, I am working on Protocol for Relaxation with both of them, separately at this point, but hopefully in the next week or so I can start them both lying on mats next to each other.

Frodo was doing so well on being able to function when he sees another dog on a walk, then a couple weeks ago a person was running with her lab and kind of bum rushed us at the park he felt most comfortable at, now we're back to baby steps. So much frustration

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
My ultimate goal for Frodo is to be able to ask him for a down/stay and for him to be able to do so calmly while another dog walks by.

I so badly want to be able to walk Frodo and Siri together, but I won't until he is able to accomplish that task. So I am working on it with both of them right now on separate walks. To help it along, I am working on Protocol for Relaxation with both of them, separately at this point, but hopefully in the next week or so I can start them both lying on mats next to each other.

Frodo was doing so well on being able to function when he sees another dog on a walk, then a couple weeks ago a person was running with her lab and kind of bum rushed us at the park he felt most comfortable at, now we're back to baby steps. So much frustration
So sorry, that sucks! (about the park)

How are you liking protocol for relaxation? I tried it before with Rumor. Didn't have too much success.

I need to go back with all three of mine and teach a RELAXED mat behavior.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
So sorry, that sucks! (about the park)

How are you liking protocol for relaxation? I tried it before with Rumor. Didn't have too much success.

I need to go back with all three of mine and teach a RELAXED mat behavior.
I like it a lot! I did it previous to behavior medication with Frodo and just ended up frustrated and got nowhere, I couldn't even count to 5 out loud before he would shut down and slink off the mat.

After starting meds we went through a period of him offering relaxed positions when he wasn't actually relaxed at all. Eventually we got to actual relaxing.

I'm excited about the prospect of actually being able to take it on the road now that the weather is getting nice. I think taking frodo's mat along and tossing it on the ground when we see another dog is going to do wonders for him. He functions so much better when he is in work mode and knows what is expected of him.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.