Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Still all the puppy class things.

Part of our homework is beginning to teach the puppies to walk on our feet. Like, where they stand between your legs and put their paws on your feet.

Being the overachiever that I am, I REALLY think it would be awesome if we could have that nailed by next class. Especially because even the students that are taking this course again (it's a continual course, not a 9 weeks and you are done kinda thing) don't have it down. And I want to show off

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Honey, I hear you 100%.....bad boy dogs!
Yeah. I've got one of those too. He's very smart, but he's a very smart brat.

ETA: Newton is moving up to Cricket and Journey's agility class tomorrow! He's been doing SO well lately.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
It's been a bit since I've watched the DVD, but one piece of advice would be to be very mindful of how you are rewarding. Always toss the food in the direction that continues the wrap.

I didn't watch your whole vid, but he got a few multi-wraps!
Good tip! I think I kept allowing myself to get confused about which direction to throw it, which way he was "wrapping." I don't think I will ever be able to use two commands on a course like cik/cap, or even say stuff like "left" or "right." I won't be able to keep straight which is left or right on the fly. x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Beanie, is there a reason you're using that stool for 2o2o versus using a phone book or something similar?
It's the best thing I had - it's actually a storage box turned upside down. I went through the house trying to find something to use and that was the best I could come up with. I have an actual kid-sized stool that I brought back from my house this weekend to use instead.

Auggie was taught off the retaining wall in the garden (we have two that are different heights, I ping-ponged both) and then with the deck stairs and then the steps inside. Now that it's finally warmer I could probably teach Pay the same way.

Tonight in agility class we used a slightly elevated plank to mimic a dogwalk. No commands on it yet, I just kind of let him play on it to be comfortable. He doesn't care.

Neither did Miss Georgie who is quite awesome except her flatwork is rubbish.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We use phone books because they're the same width as a DW & teeter plus they're easy, everyone has one or seven, and they are portable.

That's awesome about class tonight.

PWC, why do they train that? For fun or does it have a purpose?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I don't think I will ever be able to use two commands on a course like cik/cap, or even say stuff like "left" or "right." I won't be able to keep straight which is left or right on the fly. x_x
I soooo can't. I use "dig" for wraps and "push" to take the backside of jumps. I find it sooooo much easier with the one "dig" command, just using body language to indicate which standard to wrap.

I ran my friend's BC pup in a class with cik/cap and I had to walk the courses a million times, memorizing the order of the directions. She has since switched to "dig" because she can't think on the fly either, lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Not sure, I think it's just supposed to be something "fun" since most of the work is crate games, focus games, reverse luring, pivots, leave it, etc etc etc. Which not everyone is going to see as super fun, lol.

It's not a large part of the class, we do other stuff most of the time, and then at the end of class we work on tricks.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Not sure, I think it's just supposed to be something "fun" since most of the work is crate games, focus games, reverse luring, pivots, leave it, etc etc etc. Which not everyone is going to see as super fun, lol.

It's not a large part of the class, we do other stuff most of the time, and then at the end of class we work on tricks.
It sounds really cool, I am all about for fun. I was trying to figure what it could be for and couldn't seem to come up with a lot so I thought I'd ask.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Crazy Dog!

Gus cik/cap day two. I skipped yesterday because, ya know.. I was lazy

I need to break it up and go to foot targets, stays, and 2o/2o, then go back to this. We only have 4 days until the start of the class.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Forgot that last night during class I was working Payton (we were practicing 180s) and when I called him over the second jump, "Here Aug!" is what came out of my mouth. I don't think he even noticed but it sort of broke my heart. I miss working Auggie. I almost brought him to class with me just because, but I need to get Georgie going too so I couldn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
We use phone books because they're the same width as a DW & teeter plus they're easy, everyone has one or seven, and they are portable.
We don't, LOL... we throw them all away immediately. I even threw away the one that got delivered to my house, which was a mistake because I don't have internet there yet, so I was over there one day and was like "Hey I wonder what the number is for $place. .....Well crap."

I could maybe bring my contact trainer back to my parent's place too, but I'm almost positive it's buried somewhere in my garage behind all kinds of crap we ripped out of the kitchen. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I soooo can't. I use "dig" for wraps and "push" to take the backside of jumps. I find it sooooo much easier with the one "dig" command, just using body language to indicate which standard to wrap.
Yeah, with Auggie I just used "around" for wraps - I don't really like it as a word though, it's long and not quite easy to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs
We only have 4 days until the start of the class.
*scream* Noooo! Not ready! Ack!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Sloan is working on auto downing on the table, we're close but it's still a thought process. I would love a sliding down but I'm not sure we'll see it.

We just ran through several weave proofs today and she nailed almost every one, our entry issue may be fixed. Next test will be collection with a tunnel/jump to the weaves.

I'm trying to train a right side line up and she's really against this, Backup used to be as well, too much obedience. She's offering a great mark and left line up so she's sure that's enough.

We're also tinkering with the foundations homework Backup has because she's starting foundations with Denis this Sunday.

I have started training with Shamoo very casually, trying to find a way to exercise her mind without wearing down her body. We're playing with sits and downs, trying for sit pretty, working on leg weaves, and spinning right and left.