Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Ditto on the long lead! It can definitely be a lifesaver at rest stops, to just let them stretch their legs.

Having a blanket that smelled like home/his bed helped too. I just took one of the sheets he lays on at the house, put it in the car. When we got to the hotel, I spread it out on the bed. It helped greatly compared to the first time around when we had nothing.

They sell travel bowls in places like Petco and such. I have one that folds up, it's good for when we stop. But we usually use a water bottle more often. (As it turns out, moving car + moving dog + water bowl = a huge mess in my case.)

I just flip it over my head while driving, it isn't too distracting or anything. He gets his drink, and I screw the top back on.

I have one like this, but I know they sell just the caps you can put on any water bottle, too.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

We just got back from a cross-country road trip, Minnesota to Florida and back. Not to mention the Florida tour we did while we were down there.

The dogs were awesome. I have my dogs crated in the car because Zuma doesn't really like other dogs touching her, plus I personally believe it's the safest method of transporting your dog (not just for the dog but for the people that are riding in the car). Here's a picture of our setup:

We took 3 days each way, averaging 10-12 hours of driving each day with a hotel stay at night. Everybody including the puppy, slept in their crates the whole time. We stopped every 3 hours or so for quick potty breaks. They would rip around the hotel room when we first got there for a half hour or so but then were perfectly content to sleep.

I didn't do anything special like long lines or anything, most of the places we were stopping at wouldn't have benefited from a longer line anyways just because there were small pottying spots. I did happen across a rest stop with a small fenced in dog park area (vacant of dogs), so I let the girls tear around that for a few minutes.

They had bully sticks once on the way down and antlers to chew on, but honestly they didn't really need it.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie