Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: What's your preference?
I do conformation and don't want a working dog. 3 5.56%
I have working dogs and don't want to do conformation. 15 27.78%
I'm open to suggestions... 26 48.15%
Banana cream pie. 15 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Depends on the breed. Fortunately in FCRs it's not an either/or.

Structure is extremely important to me. That said, I consider showing in the conformation ring to be just another sport, not intrinsically more valuable than other sports. I wish more breeds had a CCA-type program like Goldens in which a dog is assessed by a panel for structural soundness and adherence to the breed standard without the politics and extremes of the breed ring.

ETA: Working ability is still my #1. By far. But given the working style and intensity of the dogs I like, structure is equally important to keeping them sound through their working life.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 02-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I voted Banana Pie because.....let's be honest, I don't know enough of what's going on to have an opinion.
I will join you in this group!

I've learned A LOT OF THINGS in the last year, but 99% of that was my gleaning information off the OP.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

I want a dog that "will hunt." I want retrieving desire "written to PROM." I want a dog that is a good tolling dog. That last one is kind of a crap shoot, a lot of the Tollers that are arguably at the working end of the spectrum end up with a toll that is more of a trained retrieve than a playful tolling action.

That said, my preferred type is not the current ring fashion. So working/show lines aren't a deciding factor for me (and the split in Tollers isn't strong to begin with), I just want a dog I like.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

For me, it really depends on the breed and the breeder. You can't paint all breeders involved in conformation with the same brush as being unconcerned with anything but extreme looks. And not all working breeders are producing dogs that are the be all, end all of what that breed should be. And for many, many breeds there really are no "working" lines or need for working bred dogs in modern times. There's show bred dogs some of which may do "other stuff" and pet bred dogs.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a strong preference either way, but for most of the breeds I like I tend to go for conformation over working, as long as the conformation dogs can still perform in other venues. I could live with a working dog, but I don't need a die hard worker. All of the dogs in my home come from show/ performance breeders and I don't find them lacking anywhere in regards to what I like to do with my dogs. I'm sure my Dobermans couldn't excel in protection training, but they're plenty guardy and protective enough for my needs. No idea if Dance can toll, or if she'd retrieve a bird (she probably would), but she retrieves endlessly anything else I ask her to. No idea how Journey will do when she sees sheep or if she could work stock all day, but again, that's not what I have her for. I think it's important to have a dog who has the instinct to do what they were originally intended for, but for me personally to live with, it doesn't really make a big difference just how much working drive a dog has to do the task they were bred for (if that makes sense) because I'm not using those skills. I still think it's important for those instincts and drives to be retained, but I don't want an extreme dog and I find, for me, show/performance breeders have a happy-medium for my personal needs in a dog.

I also like the mind set of most show breeders over working breeders when it comes to health testing and such and where/how puppies are raised.

And honestly, I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the look of most favourite breeds of mine that come from show lines. I'm happy with (my idea of) a pretty dog who is also a nice companion and has enough energy to play different sports, go hiking, and learn things with me.

With that said, I mainly look for a breeder producing dogs I like (structurally, temperamentally, health wise), and a breeder whose ethics I believe in and go from there. Whether they work or show is never the first thing I look at.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Not really, I prefer working/companion lines. Conformation would be a fine bonus but they don't interest me nor offend me. I am willing to compromise on many things and temperament is likely my only no-break thing.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

I chose "open to suggestions" because I know what I want, and I'm not going to compromise too much on what I'm looking for specifically and it's highly possible that what I want could come from either side. However, I do draw a line, and I would never get an extreme at either end, in other words, the stereo type "exaggerated show dog" nor the "well I've never had a problem with my dogs so I don't need to health test" <already fell for that once NEVER again! In fact those were his breeders own words .
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Open minded. I never bought to show. I'm dabbling in it, because I can. I don't even know if I enjoy it yet.

Fred's breeder is a show breeder, but his sire's breeder shows and works her dogs. Many GSP breeders feel their dogs should be able to work, but the docking bans make it hard to show and work. I fully support the docking ban, but I do recognise that it has impacted on some breeds in that respect. Which is very sad... You can show a legally docked dog, but not in all shows (eg crufts).

I have exactly zero desire to work my dog, but I am interested in a dual purpose dog for my next one... Just because I feel the dog should look good and have the right temperament.

But meh, mostly I just want a good companion so...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
I don't have a strong preference either way, but for most of the breeds I like I tend to go for conformation over working, as long as the conformation dogs can still perform in other venues. I could live with a working dog, but I don't need a die hard worker. All of the dogs in my home come from show/ performance breeders and I don't find them lacking anywhere in regards to what I like to do with my dogs. I'm sure my Dobermans couldn't excel in protection training, but they're plenty guardy and protective enough for my needs. No idea if Dance can toll, or if she'd retrieve a bird (she probably would), but she retrieves endlessly anything else I ask her to. No idea how Journey will do when she sees sheep or if she could work stock all day, but again, that's not what I have her for. I think it's important to have a dog who has the instinct to do what they were originally intended for, but for me personally to live with, it doesn't really make a big difference just how much working drive a dog has to do the task they were bred for (if that makes sense) because I'm not using those skills. I still think it's important for those instincts and drives to be retained, but I don't want an extreme dog and I find, for me, show/performance breeders have a happy-medium for my personal needs in a dog.

I also like the mind set of most show breeders over working breeders when it comes to health testing and such and where/how puppies are raised.

And honestly, I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the look of most favourite breeds of mine that come from show lines. I'm happy with (my idea of) a pretty dog who is also a nice companion and has enough energy to play different sports, go hiking, and learn things with me.

With that said, I mainly look for a breeder producing dogs I like (structurally, temperamentally, health wise), and a breeder whose ethics I believe in and go from there. Whether they work or show is never the first thing I look at.
This is pretty much my exact view point as well.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Not a Border Collie

It depends on my plans the dog, for me. I've never been anti-anything. If I'm looking for a sport or working dog, I will first look at that kind of breeder. If I can't find what I'm looking for with those type of breeders (let's say off switch, or health testing) maybe I would then reconsider and check out certain show breeders.

I showed my Vallhund as a kid and really enjoyed myself though! I wouldn't mind showing again and know some great handlers. There are no show ES breeders, and the show line GSDs (my second breed of choice) are not appealing to me. However, when I get a third dog, that will hopefully just be something easygoing and fun (maybe a CKCS, Chihuahua, or Whippet) I wouldn't mind showing conformation.

Quinn - English Shepherd