Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I posted to this before, but it got eaten by the spam filter I guess.

I have my CCW license, and I carry a glock 22, the full size .40 glock. I love this gun. It's seriously the best one I shot/tested before buying, I have relatively weak hands and a bad wrist, and I can still rack the slide on it with no problems, in either hand. The only other gun I might want for CC is a sig .40

I am allowed to coceal OR open carry with my license, and sometimes it just depends on my mood what I choose to do. I can conceal the full size frame of this gun, but only with a hoodie or a jacket on. The holster I use doesn't allow for carrying in the small of my back, or I could do it with just a baggy t-shirt. Which is what I wear anyway.

I also have a drop leg holster that I carry with sometimes, simply for ease of access while driving vs the hip holster. It gets some strange looks if I'm wearing civilian clothing, but wearing camo it doesn't get a second look usually lol.

I also like the Baretta px4 Storm my friend has, but it's a 9mm, and I prefer the .40 caliber. Purely personal preference, as knock-down power is a myth.

I will add, stay away from Glock if you want a "real" safety. The Glock has a trigger safety, but as it uses a firing pin vs a hammer, there isn't a true safety on the gun. This can be an issue if you want to carry with a round in the chamber and you are around small children and/or stupid adults. Glock is safety tested against misfires with dropping the gun loaded though, I think from 2 meters onto a steel plate, so the danger isn't dropping it loaded, it's stupid people who don't clear the chamber before picking up a weapon and children who don't know any better.

Part of owning a gun, any gun, is not allowing either category access to your weapon.
My dad has a glock as well and this was the first thing he told me about them prior to shooting. I will not own one to carry, because of that. Thank you for pointing it out, though!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
My dad has a glock as well and this was the first thing he told me about them prior to shooting. I will not own one to carry, because of that. Thank you for pointing it out, though!
Yeah, a lot of people have that as their sticking point against Glocks. I've never met a tougher gun though. I've literally never had a misfire, failure to fire or failure to eject with this gun. Even when I've set it down in dirt, shooting in blowing sand or rain. It's been dragged through the mud, rinsed off and it still shoots.

But, in that case, I'd highly recommend Sig, Baretta or an H&K as well.

Also, I dislike snub nosed revolvers immensely. Have never liked them, but the Taurus .45 I shot was such a wrist breaker it just cemented it.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Fishies!

Isn't the Glock basically like a double action... ie all the other revolvers being mentioned? The long trigger pull is one safety, with the little safety on the trigger being more for drops.

I'd want one for hiking, cougars and bears being a concern in some areas. Pepper spray seems to have a better record, but a deadly option after the pepper spray makes some sense. But then we're talking big bullets. .357? LCR maybe since I could practice with .38 special.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Jerk.

I bought the Glock for the reasons others listed for not owning them. The S&W I sold had a similar trigger system.

That and the Glock rep demonstrating cleaning by field stripping and putting it in the dishwasher. I prefer the AK to the AR for similar reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I'm looking at either the Taurus UltraLite .38 or a Smith and Wesson snub .22 Mag.

I take my class in two weekends. Yay. Can apply in April!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Show Dog

In NJ we aren't allowed too. Boo. My hubbs is a LEO and has a federal firearms license. We have guns in the house, but chances are I'd go to jail if someone walked in my house & I shot them...Go figure.

I have started trap shooting, and I enjoy it. I'm not good, but I'm working on it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

I'm really just curious...those of you that conceal carry...why?

Is it more of a hobby or in-case-of-a-really-unrealistic-situation-like-hostile-government-takeover? Or is it for realistic self-protection on a daily basis? And if the latter...what is it for protection from? Animals, people, both?

I just have never been in, nor can I imagine realistically being put into, a situation where I wouldn't feel 100% confident defending myself without a gun, based on situation awareness, or carrying mace/other means of protection.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

Is it more of a hobby or in-case-of-a-really-unrealistic-situation-like-hostile-government-takeover? Or is it for realistic self-protection on a daily basis? And if the latter...what is it for protection from? Animals, people, both?

I just have never been in, nor can I imagine realistically being put into, a situation where I wouldn't feel 100% confident defending myself without a gun, based on situation awareness, or carrying mace/other means of protection.
Your first question is offensive (to me, anyway) - 'really-unrealistic-situation, etc.' So, you're basically asking if it's a hobby or the person is a paranoid looney-tunes? The government might not be attempting a 'hostile' takeover, but they're pushing really hard to disarm legal gun owners. Really, realistically working for Chicago, isn't it?

I have a shotgun but want a handgun as well for self-protection (more from people than animals).

You might never imagine being in a situation where you need a gun but around here, banks/loan offices are being robbed on an almost daily basis and it seems that home invasions are up. A local elderly woman shot an intruder who broke in and was attacking her sister - she even fired a warning shot but he wouldn't quit, so she shot him. I suppose she could have hit him with a baseball bat, if she had one, and hope it was enough to incapacitate him so he wouldn't turn and use it on her...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

I don't carry yet, but when I get my permit it will be for all of the reasons listed. As a hobby, to protect my rights and the government from taking them, and to protect myself on a daily basis from humans OR animals. Too many odd things happen in our society for me to trust anyone or any situation and I do not have self defense training, and my German shepherd won't be a detterant for everyone. I've gotten weird calls at work, weird vibes inside my own house, and I lock up and close my place of business in the dark, alone, most nights. It is for my all-around peace of mind, along with exercising my rights of course.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

The main reason I want to be able to conceal carry is for protection against other people. Unfortunately I have been in situations in the past where I wished I did have a gun on me for protection.

Quite a few years back I was out walking Bamm and some guy grabbed me. I don't think he noticed Bamm since Bamm was practically in a bush trying to find a pee spot and it was dark out. The guy grabbed me and thankfully Bamm bit him and he backed off, but what if I didn't have my dog with me? What if he didn't back off when Bamm bit him? I had another situation that actually happened in my home when a roommate had a guy friend and his friends stay over. Unfortunately in that situation I was unable to protect myself and Bamm was crated and I do wish I had owned a gun back then.

Thing is anything can happen anywhere. You could be in the nicest of areas and something could still happen. Having a concealed carry in my opinion stacks the odds a little in my favor.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle