Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM
such sights to show you

Thanks, I appreciate it! The problem we're having is that we're not really "Oh I've ALWAYS wanted to go to XYZ!" kind of people and we enjoy a lot of different things, can do either resting or active vacations, rough it or not... so it's overwhelming to get over the complete freedom of "well we could go anywhere and do anything" hump.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Oh gosh, where do I start?

My favorite vacation EVER was a cruise through the Mediterranean. We spend 3 days in Rome (most amazing city EVER!) and then hopped on a train out to the coast where we caught a ship and spent a day each in Naples (where we saw Pompeii and drove the Amalfi coast), Athens (hired a private cab driver to take us EVERYWHERE in the city), Rhodes (beach day on a greek island!), Ephesus (followed Paul's journey through the book of Ephesians), and 2 days in Egypt (dirty, disgusting, but SO INCREDIBLE).

We did a similar trip last summer up in the Baltics, starting with a couple days in Copenhagen and on to Germany, Estonia, St. Petersburg, Finland, and Sweden. Not nearly as cool as the Med to me, but Russia was fascinating and Copenhagen was a blast (all walkable--it's a very compact city).

I'm going to Ireland for a week next month. We're going to rent a car and zip around to castles and pubs. Not sure what it will be like--hopefully it has the wow factor Italy had for me!

Closer to home, I always enjoy time in the outer banks of North Carolina. As kids we always went camping, so I've done Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. Not my cup of tea, but my family enjoyed it immensely.

Our "to do" list includes Alaska (I went as a child, but DH has never been), Peru (Machu Picchu!), Hawaii (I've been, but never to the big island), and back to northern Italy to do florence/venice. One day if I ever have a flexible job again, I'd love to do a spring cruise through Asia. My cousin is the music director on a cruise ship and has been posting amazing pictures from Thailand, Korea, Kuala Lampur, etc, and I'm super jealous!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Not sure Ireland will have the wow factor Italy has, but maybe... They're drastically different.

Right now I want any holiday that is relaxing! The last two have been morocco and china. And they're mad, smelly, busy places!!!

We have rented a cottage in Cornwall for may, which I can't wait for. Just us,and the dogs and a local pub!

But I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want a cheap, cheerful sunny holiday. My parents have a house in the south of France, that I really should take advantage of more. You can get SUPER cheap flights to lots of countries in Europe and again, I should take advantage of it, but time, life, work get in the way! I need a relaxing, cocktail filled, sunny, hot lounging holiday. Country isn't a big factor... Lol. Turkey, Malta, Cyprus maybe.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Not sure Ireland will have the wow factor Italy has, but maybe... They're drastically different.
Yeah, my girlfriend is the one who wanted to go. I suggested Iceland, she wanted to do Ireland, so off we go! Maybe DH and I will do Iceland this summer together...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Mutts to you

We always vacation on the Outer Banks of NC, mostly because Dad's family is across the Sound on the mainland but also it's just a nice place to go. We stay in Emerald Isle (Bogue Island) and while the beach is public, there's no public parking so the beach never gets that crowded. At certain times of the morning and afternoon, it's downright deserted, which is nice. Dogs are allowed and Riley loves running on the beach.

There's stuff to do (boat tours to Cape Lookout lighthouse, or Shackleford Island to see the Banker ponies), dolphin watching, plus the usual beach stuff (diving, fishing, jet skis, etc.) We're not too far from Beaufort, which still has a house Blackbeard lived in, and Sinbad, the only registered pirate in the U.S. . The Maritime Museum is constantly updating their Blackbeard collection (Queen Anne's Revenge was found in Bogue Outlet) and there's the Old Burying Ground, which is pretty cool, too.

The NC aquarium is on Bogue island and last year, we were there at the right time for sea turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs (Bogue island is a sea turtle sanctuary).

Looking forward to this year's trip!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yeah, my girlfriend is the one who wanted to go. I suggested Iceland, she wanted to do Ireland, so off we go! Maybe DH and I will do Iceland this summer together...
I've only ever been to Belfast, so I can't really talk, but I have been to Italy, and I know it's nothing like that lol! Ireland is beautiful though.

I lie, I've been to Dublin too! For a day trip. It was pretty touristy. If I went for a holiday, I'd want to go countryside and coastal.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My friend did Ireland as part of a 10-odd day crawl of various places in Europe and his family loved it. They had some amazing pictures when they came back too. That and France I think were the two places they liked most. I know they stayed in Dublin for a day, but I think they also went a couple other places.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

My parents went to Turkey a few years ago and loved it- lots of good food, dancing, beautiful stuff to see... I want to go sometime. My next vacation will be tropical- Hawaii, Mexico, somewhere with a beach and some really awesome food. I also would love to go to India someday, or maybe on the other side of things Alaska or New Zealand.... There are so many cool places out there!

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

I know some people are talking about traveling all around the world and whatnot....but....I've been begging Jin to take me here for a birthday or anniversary for the last two years. It'd be an awesome weekend getaway. I tend to think "small" when it comes to vacations! (Personally, running around like mad trying to see EVERYTHING I want to see doesn't sound like a great relaxing vacation to me).

$400 per night. Sybaris. And yes, this is all one room. They have locations in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I know some people are talking about traveling all around the world and whatnot....but....I've been begging Jin to take me here for a birthday or anniversary for the last two years. It'd be an awesome weekend getaway. I tend to think "small" when it comes to vacations! (Personally, running around like mad trying to see EVERYTHING I want to see doesn't sound like a great relaxing vacation to me).

$400 per night. Sybaris. And yes, this is all one room. They have locations in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

Ok, this is our next vacation!!