Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Masters program and career path indecision, advice?

I have a BA in Fine Arts and I would like to go into teaching. My end goal would be teaching college level in art education. The problem is to teach at a university I need my PhD. So, I am going for my masters next. My initial plan was to go for MEd (masters of education) and start with elementary. While there I would slowly finish my schooling with a doctorate and apply for work at a university level. I would then be teaching education, not art, but I would be where I want to be an thus not heart broken.

It was brought to my attention this week that if I go for my MFA done with a dual focus of art and english (far more reliable for jobs) I can in turn begin teaching at a CC immediately and work towards my PhD if I was not satisfied with working at a CC instead of a university.

I'm torn, I'm looking at both options with caution but neither are less appealing in the short term. Long term I am not sure I would love elementary when I am 50 or 60. Short term it feels like a more reliable career path.

Suggestions? Advice? Something I've missed along the way? Thus far I am on track with my MEd application but now I'm questioning my plan of action and I'm not positive who to speak to about this yet.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I'd choose the second option. Working at a CC, while different from a university, is not as vastly different as a university and an elementary school. Plus, it looks like that would give you better chance of teaching what you really want to teach. And for me, teaching a CC class sounds way, way better than teaching an elementary school class. And getting an MFA sounds way more enjoyable than getting an MEd.

I guess it will come down to things like: Would you be happy teaching education instead of art? Would you be happy teaching in an elementary school? Even long term? Some of these things you aren't going to know the answer for until you try them.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would enjoy elementary, I did work for some time in a daycare/early start program as an aid and my first major in college was elementary eduction(then bio, nutrition, and art when I settled in so that may not say much lol).

So... Yeah... Maybe I'll apply to both and see if one likes me better, if I don't get in to one maybe that's the easy answer.

I do know I have strong feelings against middle and high school but I see pros and cons to both additional options.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

If it means anything, I have a friend who's finishing up her first year teaching at a community college in the communications department, and she loves it. You typically get a lot of adult students, so, students who are there because they want to be rather than because Mommy and Daddy are making them.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
If it means anything, I have a friend who's finishing up her first year teaching at a community college in the communications department, and she loves it. You typically get a lot of adult students, so, students who are there because they want to be rather than because Mommy and Daddy are making them.
It helps, can you ask her what path she took to get there? I'm curious if my MA is the right step.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
such sights to show you

I am more familiar with the hard sciences, where a teaching position at a large University can be less teaching-driven and more research and publication driven. I don't know if that kind of thing even applies to your chosen subject field, but if my goal was teaching I would probably choose a CC over a University any day of the week.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Thank you, that makes sense as well and helps me think on things.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

CC was actually where I wanted to teach if I got my Masters in art education... but I changed my mind when I found out the local college didn't hire very many teachers without a PhD. It's gotten so competitive... so... I just changed my mind and didn't pursue it.

Not that you should throw the idea out but I think it's definitely worth looking into the colleges where you are looking to teach and see if they are hiring teachers with MAs or if it's highly competitive there as well.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Here you need masters for everything. Some states teachers are not required to have masters. I didn't know about the phd thing.

My step mom has been teaching at out community college (for accounting)just because she had her masters and was qualified and they offered it to her when she had nothing else to do. She has now found another job. My friend who does elementary was allowed so many years to get her masters.

I keep thinking about teaching clinicals, only need bachelors and pay is good and can do it on the side. But .....

I think if you want to do elementary do it now. It's different worlds. You need new classes then to be able to teach different grades to. I know I'd hate to test for that at that age. Kids are fun. Community college can be fun to if they want to do it.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Often when hard up for teachers they lessen the requirements such as accelerated licensure programs and MA incentive programs, et, but job security seems to come with a masters and in turn a license. Here you can't even sub without your MEd from what I understand.