Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default What is your bad habit?

Mine is biting my nails. I wish I could stop but it's like a drug. I bite them so badly that my finger tips are in constant pain. So frustrating lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Resident fainting goat

I pick my lips. It happens when I'm anxious mostly.. I sometimes wake up with blood on my hands, literally lol It's such an annoying awful habit! My lips are super soft because I'm always peeling skin back but still it's a bloody mess

I babble when anxious. Awkward situation= WANT SOME RANDOM FACTS? YOU GOT EM!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

Well...I smoke, so there's that.

I also pick at my skin a bit, pop zits.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

I crack my knuckles. Ugh, it's a horrid habit. My mom hates it! But I just... can't help myself! I've become so accustomed to doing it, and my fingers, like, NEED it in the mornings, they're so stiff, lol. I wish I could stop though.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Mine is biting my nails. I wish I could stop but it's like a drug. I bite them so badly that my finger tips are in constant pain. So frustrating lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Well...I smoke, so there's that.

I also pick at my skin a bit, pop zits.
I do all of that. And I rock a lot. Can't help it. Can't be still like, ever.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

I bite my nails. It's a product of my anxiety. I wish I could stop, and I've tried tons of methods, but then my anxiety just gets so much worse....and then I give it to biting my nails.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I bite my nails. It's a product of my anxiety. I wish I could stop, and I've tried tons of methods, but then my anxiety just gets so much worse....and then I give it to biting my nails.
My therapist said my lip picking could've easily manifested as nail biting if my parents didn't keep my nails so short as a child.
I've been through a few therapists and many tips and tricks but the manifest that comes out if I don't pick is usually not worth it. Your body has created a pacification method to calm your nerves and even if it isn't a real solution... it's a placebo, your body believes it.

I applied lip gloss, cut my nails super short.. so I started picking at my hair. Put my hair up, I toy with clothes, shake my legs, pace the floor.. etc..etc..etc..

According to my shrink the only way to fix the manifests is to fix the anxiety (the root of it as well as the bodys response to stress)

Easier said than done.

I'm just saying to all those who have anxiety responses to stress.. it's not an "annoying habit" that you should feel bad about not being able to break.

It's your bodies pacification system. It's much more complicated than just "being too weak to not be able to stop biting your nails"
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I bit my nails for 19 YEARS.

I finally stopped for good 2 months ago. I'm amazed at how PRETTY they look now! I can paint them pretty colors and they're not in constant pain. I used to be so afraid to let people see my hands, and now I want everyone to look at them.

My biggest bad habit is cracking my knuckles. It just feels so good, and I love the sound. lol.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Mine is just a habit, not anxiety related. I do it when I am bored, whenI am watching tv or if i see that there is room to bite more I have to do it lol or I think about until I can't take it anymore and CHOMP lol

Funny fact, te only time I was anle to stop was when I was pregnant with Hannah. I had no desire to bite my nails and my nails grew so long. As soon as he was born... CHOMP lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Nail biter here. I am actually in the process of trying to stop..Been 3 days and so far so good. I keep catching myself putting my fingers in my mouth but I can make myself stop before I find myself biting.