Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Super-Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post

The Thinker's quote:
Snip the rest.

This is where the atheist and the theist always come to blows. LOL This very statement assumes that a Christian is a 'non-thinker'.

Whoever you are... I lived a large portion of my life as a secular humanist. Then I had some deep THOUGHT about life and the universe. If you truly are sincere about reaching across the aisle as it were, I want you to understand how insulting such a statement is.... As I am an educated person and have THOUGHT long and deep about these things.

Your statements forget one very important thing about God. He is loving, the part we humans totally dig.... But he is also JUST, the part humans cannot handle. Humans who look at God through human lenses will never see Him as we should. It amuses me to see people talk as if God should pander to US. A perfect God sacrifices Himself for the most unworthy of His creation and we mock it....

Look at the insanity in the world right now.... I believe you are getting what you want, a world with out God.... We want the love, without giving the respect.
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I agree, especially with the bolded part. I think too many people try to be 'good' for the sake of their religion. You should be good because it's the right thing. Not because your god tells you too.

My family and I discuss religion frequently. My family is Christian, my mom became more so when she found out I wasn't.

I don't have a problem with most other belief systems. If you want to worship the Christian god, worship him. If you want to worship Buddha, Jedi's, your mail man, I don't care. But it doesn't belong in schools or govt. or anything in between.

I live in a very conservative area and Christianity is the majority. I don't mind most of the people, but some are infuriating. I didn't go to my graduation because the speaker was a preacher and had a lot of Biblical sayings and messages. Not my thing, so I didn't go.

I'm agnostic so I'm more of the "Meh who cares?" type. Live and let live. Your belief in some invisible being (or lack of) should not dominate your life. You want to be a good person? Just be a good person.
I agree with everything, especially the bolded part.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
]
Look at the insanity in the world right now.... I believe you are getting what you want, a world with out God.... We want the love, without giving the respect.
You really truly believe all the wrong in the world is because people want a world without god or because god has been excluded?
because I think this thread if nothing else is a good example of things going very cruely wrong even when god is VERY present.

I am not saying religion is one thing or another but to say that the world is a mess because people choose to not believe in god is...ridiculous.

with god or without, the world is the way it is because of PEOPLE. bad people, good people, religious people, atheist people, all kinds of people.

To put the fault of famine, disease, war, violence and abuse on people CHOOSING to live without god is frankly insulting.

Not having religion =/= not having morals.

being religious =/= being moral.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Snip the rest.

This is where the atheist and the theist always come to blows. LOL This very statement assumes that a Christian is a 'non-thinker'.

Whoever you are... I lived a large portion of my life as a secular humanist. Then I had some deep THOUGHT about life and the universe. If you truly are sincere about reaching across the aisle as it were, I want you to understand how insulting such a statement is.... As I am an educated person and have THOUGHT long and deep about these things.
Like I said, it's a very pretentious name. I don't like it, but I like some of the things he says. Judge the message, not the messenger (or messenger of the messenger? Or title of the messenger? Or whatever. Ha). Yes, some atheists are egotistical, just like some Christians are egotistical (i.e. those who claim to know for sure what god wants or thinks). That doesn't mean that an egotistical atheist or an egotistical Christian doesn't have anything good to say.

The rest of it I feel like I would be repeating myself, and ultimately neither of us is going to budge on our views, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Super-Genius

Quote:
I was a staunch Christian my whole life, until (officially) I was 22. Since I've become an atheist, my life has gotten so much better. If his hand was a guiding force in my life, and he was never truly gone, why was I so miserable? I spent all of my teenage years trying to figure out what he wanted me to do, and I could never figure it out. When bad things happened, there was no comfort other than my fellow humans (and dogs and horses). When good things happened, it was because of my (or another human's) actions. But still, I was miserable. Always miserable. Clinically depressed, lost and confused, the works. Once I tossed all of that out of my life, though, my life turned around and I've never been happier or more successful in everything I do. I don't understand how an eternally loving god could have had a hand in my life before.
My first guess would be because of all the "I's" and "Me's" in your thought process. Where did you give it to Him to lead? Where did you be still and listen?

If you cannot let go of yourself and believe that He is God.... If you try to do it all by yourself....

Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
You really truly believe all the wrong in the world is because people want a world without god or because god has been excluded?
because I think this thread if nothing else is a good example of things going very cruely wrong even when god is VERY present.

I am not saying religion is one thing or another but to say that the world is a mess because people choose to not believe in god is...ridiculous.

with god or without, the world is the way it is because of PEOPLE. bad people, good people, religious people, atheist people, all kinds of people.

To put the fault of famine, disease, war, violence and abuse on people CHOOSING to live without god is frankly insulting.

But its convenient excuse.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

Couldn't have said it better!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Super-Genius

Quote:
(i.e. those who claim to know for sure what god wants or thinks).
Well, He kinda told us what He wants and thinks. But I digress... LOL

Quote:
The rest of it I feel like I would be repeating myself, and ultimately neither of us is going to budge on our views, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Ditto. I have already went WAY over my yearly post count.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

I guess my biggest issue with many Christians is even while paying lip service to "I accept others" or "My faith is personal" there is still a lot of condescation you didnt do this the right way, etc etc. You have a real, personal relationship with a different deity? Oh, thats not real or thats not the same...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My first guess would be because of all the "I's" and "Me's" in your thought process. Where did you give it to Him to lead? Where did you be still and listen?

If you cannot let go of yourself and believe that He is God.... If you try to do it all by yourself....
I prayed every day. I prayed for him to lead me in the path he wanted me to go down. I read devotionals. I went to church 3x a week. I read the Bible.

I wanted to be a scientist. I applied to the NC School of Science & Math. I was rejected. I took that as a sign from god that I wasn't supposed to be a scientist. I became a music major. I hated every second of it. I had physical ailments that caused pain when I played (backwards spine). I had anxiety. I was miserable. I took time off (2 years!) to figure out what he wanted me to do. I worked in a sub shop and the rest of the time... I was soul searching. Praying. Reading. Trying to figure life out.

That was when I became an atheist. And you know what? I'm back in the sciences.