Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Kung Pow Fish

Default Brachy breeds health vs quality?

I've had an idea rattling around in my head for a long time, ever since I inquired into bostons years and years ago, and was told that Bostons with a little bit of a snout length were "incorrect" and "horrid" and "no good breeder you want to be buying from would ever produce one". Which didnt jive with me, so I just walked away from the entire group entirely.

Now Im wondering if its possible to find a dog that is bred with just as much care, but with a lighter body, more leg, better angulation, and more muzzle, than its show counterparts? Particularly Frenchies, as they are a breed Id love to own, but I cant get over the fat cobby body and basically nonfunctioning nonexistant face

What is your take on it? Am I doomed to buy BYB Frenchies if I want one that can function?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Our boston is a byb and has a longer snout. We didn't know better when we got him..but somehow he is healthier than a lot of bostons we see. He can hike 3+ miles with me and can even swim
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

Depends what you mean by byb.

There are people out there that breed dogs like bulldogs, pugs, Boston's, etc with less extreme faces. Some of them health test, and many have therapy dogs or dogs titled in some way other than Confo or via breed clubs. Not easy to find, but they're out there.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

http://www.htpuppiescb.com/

This is a website that lists breeders who health test and there is a boston breeder on there, she also breeds poodles and is a vet, so she'd be one person to contact and ask. I did superdogs years ago and there was a boston or two then that did everything and was quite cool. I don't think it was a byb dog either. It's a reasonable request IMO so there shouldn't be a problem with finding a few breeders that would work with you. May not be 'next door' but road trips to get puppies are fun (until you have the risk of getting arrested of course.... but hey... ).
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

You could always go for the cheap knock-ff and get a Boston mix like Lola

Her snout is way long but she never has any trouble with swimming, running, or slobbering.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

her snout isn't long, dogs are supposed to have a muzzle. They're supposed to be able to breath without snorting and wheezing. They're supposed to be able to run or at least trot for long distances. The problem with a lot of dogs, is they're snouts are too short I swear some people won't be happy till they can breed a dog who's nose is coming out of it's own ass.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

Bostons are one of those breeds where I just prefer the so called "badly bred"

I am dog walker.. in Boston. I see a lot of bostons, frenchies and pekes (very common city dogs)
and honestly, the BYB ones are the ones that have the longer snouts, less extreme features and honestly.. you can HEAR the difference a little bit of extra snout makes lol and can tell a lot endurance wise.
ESPECIALLY when it comes to the pekes and the bostons.

Typical show boston

and your typical pet style boston

Personally I prefer the typical pet style, Just a personal preference from what I've experienced.

I think it's an issue of just finding the right breeder or rescue and i wish I knew of one or a couple that could point you in the right direction but everyone I know in Boston that has that kind of boston terrier went either the rescue or BYB route.

I would kind of opt out of show breeders.. look for boston breeders who title in obedience or therapy dogs and such.
Health testing is paramount, once that base is covered I would honestly just go with your gut.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I swear some people won't be happy till they can breed a dog who's nose is coming out of it's own ass.

I'm just glad boxers generally are not an extreme brachy breed, there is nothing appealing to me about the things that come along with having a super smashed in face.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

I wish I could find a responsible, health-testing breeder that breeds boxers with a head like Gavroche has. Actually I really like Gavroche's build in general. Not extremely angulated, no huge wrinkles, and he has a face long enough that he can (and is allowed to!) run a full CAT course. If I could find a dog like him minus the temperament issues, thyroid issues, and bad hips, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

I've been struggling with this too; I'd love another peke like Zobby's dam. She was a pet-bred dog from a long line of pet-bred dogs, but she lived to be 19 with no major health problems. Even though she was black and kept coated most of the time she could run like crazy in the summer heat, and was active and outdoorsy.

Zobby's got a muzzle;

and runs 3+ miles without issue on a daily basis. It's important to me that dogs be able to run, but I'd love another peke.

I don't know what we'll do when the time comes.