Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Default Border Collie Crisis

There is a huge Border Collie breeding dilema going on. People are breeding them just to make money, there are so many puppy mills and back-yard breeders. There are TONS of these poor dogs being euthanized in shelters every year due to people who don't know what they are getting into.

Border Collie's have a HIGH energy level, a STRONG desire to work and if you don't give them something constructive to do, they will find something to do. Most likely destructive.

If you don't have the time and space for high-maintenace dog, then stay away from Border Collies.

If you are considering a Border Collie PLEASE, PLEASE take the time to read up about the breed. They aren't suitable for everyone.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Amen to that. If more people researched their chosen breeds, I'd have a LOT less work. And that would suit me just fine, if it meant there were more happy dogs and owners out there.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I get exactly what you are saying. I had a friend when I was in highschool who owned three Border Collies they trained as agility dogs. They were sweet energetic dogs and all rescues from shelters where they were dropped off because they were bought from uneducated people who did'nt know how to deal with their high energy level. They are great dogs and i think their adorable.

I go through the same thing with huskies four of my dogs were rescues from the shelter and where they were there for the same reasons as my friends Border collies. Huskies like Border collies have a huge energy level and are born and bred to work and if you don't harness that urge to work then they will do their own kind of work like Border Collies it is almost always not to great.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

My Border Collie is SO smart and SO energetic. She needs constant stimulation to be happy. It's a full-time job! I tell people who want a BC (or a Husky, for that matter; it's a shame what's happened to Huskies in the past few years), "Would you take in three adolescent elephants? Because that's the kind of work we're talking about here!"
Old 02-08-2005, 09:03 PM
no touchy

If only everyone could read that . I have a mostly BC mix that we rescued from abusive and neglective owners. Luckily, we can and do provide her with the cuddling, exercise, and training she needs. BCs need jobs. My girl is happy protecting and herding us up to bed .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

I would love to have a BC but because of my age I know I wouldn't do them justice....that's why I stay with Golden Retrievers. I only rescue or foster the older ones who just need love and attention ( like me!..LOL) ... I love big dogs !!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Felurian

The Filas were totally Charley's idea. I'd never heard of them. He knew he wanted dogs that could help him with the cows, but had the good sense to know he wasn't up for dealing with the high energy demands of a dog like a Border Collie or an Australian Shepherd. If more people would really THINK about what they wanted and were able to cope with in a dog there wouldn't be all the problems with overbreeding we have. Border Collies are cute and adorable and very good at what they do, but they are just not for the average dog owner! The average dog owner really wants something cute and cuddly and playful, but with a very moderate energy level - the Border Collie is cute and cuddly and playful, but that energy level is far beyond moderate. I just wish people would THINK before they chose a dog . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-13-2005, 10:51 AM
no touchy

Yes. Without proper exercise, a Border Collie will literally tear your house apart. And that won't be pretty.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Border Collies R' Us

All true, but Border Collies can live in the city in an apartment too. They can be for the average "dog ownwer," if they have researched the breed and are WILLING to put forth the time and effort.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Brildwn Border Collies

they would have to put forth a lot of time an effort at that because i have 5, 6 soon and each runs for about 2 hours straight a day not to mention more time spent trainning.