Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

View Poll Results: What Agility Venue Do You Compete In?
AAC 6 22.22%
CKC 2 7.41%
AKC 12 44.44%
USDAA 8 29.63%
AKC 8 29.63%
CPE 9 33.33%
NADAC 4 14.81%
UKC 5 18.52%
Other - Please Specify 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Show Dog

Right now we just do USDAA. I really want to give NADAC a try though, but there aren't very many trials in our area Also hope to do some ASCA
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

We've only competed in CPE so far, and I will likely start Recon in CPE as well. It's a little more friendly, and a little easier. There are a TON more CPE trials around than AKC, too.

But Frag and I will probably be moving on to AKC soon as well and we'll keep trialing in both venues.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

USDAA is my real love, and my first choice whenever I seek out a trial. I like the highly competitive atmosphere, the seriousness of the competitors, the more challenging handling, and the higher criteria. I like the lack of entry limits, because I could never get into a CPE or AKC trial around here with my organizational skills. Plus, you know, snooker

I've done some CPE, mainly because I had a good friend who was competing in it at the time, and a trainer I really like and try to support was running some trials. They were nicely done, and very welcoming. I think the venue can be more welcoming to new people, and also has some very competitive teams at the higher level. I disliked the more lax attitude displayed by the competitors in CPE (things like being less aware of/on top of their dogs - a bit more like being around "pet" dog owners; tough with a dog reactive dog!), and the greater ease in qualifying at the lower/middle levels. I'd have no qualms about going to more CPE trials if I had people I liked trialing with competing there, but they don't draw me in otherwise.

I do AKC twice a year at the local trials; obviously that is fairly new for us, since I don't run AKC dogs. I do like that people are pretty dog-savvy at them, and the courses were very nice for Meg - less challenging than USDAA for her, but not 'easy'. I like seeing a bigger variety of breeds running. I can not stand sitting around all day for two runs, or being treated like a fool for not running AKC dogs (I had one woman seriously put her hand on my shoulder and say "good for you for running mixed breeds!" in a very condescending tone of voice).

I'd love to do some AAC since I'm so near Canada, but I refuse to bring either of my dogs into communities with BSL since both could potentially be called out as pit mixes. Given the amount of BSL in "our end" of Canada, I haven't bothered looking into it further.

NADAC just confuses the heck out of me, and I don't have the equipment to train on for either that or UKC (which also I never see around here).

Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

I do AKC and CPE. Oh and UKC about once a year at the UBSDA National.

I like them for different reasons. AKC is what I have always done and excellent is pretty challenging at times. CPE is fun with the games and that you get lots of runs per day. And it's not entirely as "easy" as people make it out to be as you get to the higher levels. Whim has her AKC Open titles and legs towards Excellent but we still NQ'd on all 4 of our CPE runs at the last trial. Not our shining moment in the agility ring! LOL

UKC is like old fashioned agility, like agility was when I first started. It's interesting in that way. They are much pickier about the finer points of performance, taking points off for anything less than perfect. The last UBSDA trial I went to, I lost points on most of my runs because of my "launch" start with Whimsy...pushing her back while I start running. They have unusual obstacles too and I never get to train on these obstacles, so I have to say my dogs are pretty cool for doing them at trials!

I have done ASCA and liked it but haven't done it for a long time. I may give it another try. Or try maybe USDAA, since there are now very local trials. It's hard to pursue too many venues though, only so much entry money to go around! I'm a bit torn on the jump heights for USDAA though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
(I had one woman seriously put her hand on my shoulder and say "good for you for running mixed breeds!" in a very condescending tone of voice).

I'd say the crowds in the different venues vary from place to place. Around here, the AKC people don't seem to care at all about mixed breeds. There's rude people everywhere though, topics might be different but rude none the less. I had someone at a CPE trial comment to me that Savvy didn't get any prettier when grew up. I wanted to reply that her BC didn't get any less butt high when he grew up but probably best not to
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
NADAC just confuses the heck out of me, and I don't have the equipment to train on for either that or UKC (which also I never see around here).
The only equipment difference is the hoops (well, and lack of tire/table/teeter). The a-frame is shorter, but jumps/dog walk/tunnels are identical. It's all just numbered courses at that point. Nothing fancy. (Not that you should add another venue, but it's a surprisingly simple one!)
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Glutton for Crazy

NADAC is a ton of fun, I think people under estimate it.

UKC has weird equipt but that makes me want to try it. Sway bridge? Heck ya!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

I'd say the crowds in the different venues vary from place to place. Around here, the AKC people don't seem to care at all about mixed breeds. There's rude people everywhere though, topics might be different but rude none the less. I had someone at a CPE trial comment to me that Savvy didn't get any prettier when grew up. I wanted to reply that her BC didn't get any less butt high when he grew up but probably best not to
This. I got nasty comments from CPE people when I got a Breeder Purebred (the horror) but have never gotten grief or even a veiled comment at an AKC agility trial over Kim or Webster, both of whom are very obviously not purebreds of any sort.

Obedience people, yeah I've heard some nasty comments, but they are a group unto themselves shall we say.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Want to make NO friends in obed? Run a Malinois and discuss trying your almost nine year old rescue pit bull.

Ha!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Want to make NO friends in obed? Run a Malinois and discuss trying your almost nine year old rescue pit bull.

Ha!
Or even better yet, beat out a couple BCs and Goldens in Rally with a pit bull who is under 2. That sets the tongues wagging quickly. Especially when they see how awesome her heeling is.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
(I had one woman seriously put her hand on my shoulder and say "good for you for running mixed breeds!" in a very condescending tone of voice).
Looking back, it was hysterical. All I could think of was someone putting their hand on a person's shoulder after they were last in a race and saying "Well that was good trying!". Mind you, Meg is now in Excellent and has only ever not-Q'd once in AKC. It isn't like she doesn't do well there. At the time, I just sort of gaped at her.

The AKC group around here is...unpleasant, to me, but I've been told it is just those who come out for the local trial, and that if I traveled at all, it would be different. I thought about getting Meg's MACH because I think it is attainable for her if I really focused on AKC for 18 months, but I just love USDAA more.

Quote:
The only equipment difference is the hoops (well, and lack of tire/table/teeter).
Aren't there *barrels* now instead of curved tunnels? Or at least the option for them?

Don't get me wrong, I am blown away by many of the people I see run NADAC. If I had those distance skills, I'd be dancing a jig! The venue itself just seems to get stranger to me every year. And yes, there's that whole "I do not need another venue!" thing.

Quote:
I'm a bit torn on the jump heights for USDAA though.
Rumor is, there will be an announcement regarding jump heights soon. I'm guessing there will either be breed allowances, or they will stick another height in between 16" and 22".