Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Question Bully sticks (aka cow schlongs)

Are they meant to be chewy and tough?

Bought some, but think they've been roasted can't get them in the shop here, have to buy online, so didnt realise till they arrive. Disappointed.

Do they come tough (funniest sentence about a penis ever... Still hasn't lost its novelty)?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I mean, a bully stick refers to dried bull/steer's penis, so yeah, they're meant to be tough and chewy. The whole point is that it's a long lasting treat that's safer/healthier than rawhide. I don't know if I've ever seen a bully stick that wasn't tough?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Resident fainting goat

They are quite tough. lol god this is all so wrong but they have the consistency of a regular stick. Much tougher than say..jerky. The ones I buy are not bendy at all.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Ho ho ho off.

They're roasted so brittle. The dogs can snaffle a penis in 10 seconds flat

I obviously need to get myself a more high class penis peddler. Or pimp?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I forget, are you in London or somewhere else in the UK?

Pet Pavillon has them and they call it pizzle sticks. I think that's the only pet shop in London that I found with them...no one knows what they are there LOL I thought that was so bizarre.

But we always grab them from there, they're really stinky but last a long time and the quality seems good.

I don't know whereabouts you are but if you have a Pet Pavillion around, might be worthwhile to give them a call and see if they have them.

And they're hard and as the dog chews it, it doesn't break off in chunks, instead it turns sort of sinewy....and it cleans my dogs' teeth pretty well. It's all edible too and I haven't heard about it causing any problems like hooves, pig ears, raw hide, etc. We absolutely love them for all our dogs.

If you have a really aggressive chewer they don't last very long though. I usually give for about 20-30 min and take it away.

EDIT: Nevermind LOL I see you're in Wales...I don't know which stores are there haha
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Little dog, big voice

I've always found the ones we buy for Cali and Moses to be super tough... I've tried cutting them in pieces so that'd it'd last a bit longer but they won't bend/break/anything. They get absolutely disgusting once they've been completely chewed though, not to mention the odor... but I guess healthy teeth are worth it!

If you can't find quality bully sticks, try looking for himalayan chews. Cali likes them and I saw a difference in her teeth within days, I was pretty happy. She used to have a small gunky build up in her molars but it went down to only a tint of yellow after a few chewing sessions.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.