Top Dog

Quote:
Maybe I should get some life jackets
Perhaps a snorkel.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
I have absolutely nothing prepared LOL. I don't live in an area that doesnt have any natural disasters Except for a massive earthquake that people say is every 300+ years. And we're overdue on that 300 years. But essentially I live on an island and if an earthquake/tsunami hits, the entire island will sink because it's made from sand deposits at the mouth of a river. So I don't think there would be much I can do in that situation. The only 2 bridges to get off the island would probably break... Maybe I should get some life jackets
Sleep in a boat?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Absolutly not. We don't live in an area where we have natural disasters, except MAYBE tiny earthquakes, but thats about it. Though we probs have enough pasta to servive a week if need be. And since we buy water anyways we have that here.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I am snowed in today. I have enough food and such to last a few days without leaving the house.... I am not zombie apocalypse prepared though. No bug out bags or any of that.

About the only doomsday prepper preparedness going on in this house is that I have antibiotics on hand... But that is mostly to give to the dogs and my hiking first aid kit. I do take antibiotics with me for long hikes... If I cut myself on something extra nasty I want to start a broad spectrum right away.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

The only real issues we ever have here is power being knocked out... from ice storms or the power plant blowing up.

In that case, I can eat salad. Lots and lots of salad. That's about it for our preparedness, though.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

We're not prepared at all.

Not even a little.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

There is an ad in Australia which asks the public if they could survive 3 days in an emergency.

With my pantry, I could survive 3 months plus I reckon.

I don't have the dogs with me at the moment, but I usually have their stuff in one spot and I have made a list of stuff that would be essential (or even just useful) if I had to leave in a hurry.

But I'm not really that prepared at the moment, which is quite silly because I live in the tropical north and it's cyclone season.

I have some candles.
One small torch (but no spare batteries)
No bottled water (because I don't like to use bottled stuff when I can get water straight from the tap)
No alternative cooking source (I have electric oven and other appliances)

To be truly prepared I'd like to have some water in case of contamination/cessation of local supply, a small gas camping stove with spare gas, a couple of large torches and a good supply of spare batteries.

If something happened today I'd have to make do with filling two buckets as I don't even have a bath tub.

But food wouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't be too worried about cooking food, I'd just use what I can from the fridge first (if the power went out) and then the freezer, but I wouldn't bother going to the effort of cooking stuff. But the gas stove would come in handy if I needed to boil the water supply.

Water supply would be the greatest concern for me and this thread has probably prompted me to pop down to the supermarket during the week and purchase a large container or two of water.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Taxiderpy

I keep a machete in with my spare tire, in case there's ever a zombie apocalypse when we're away from home and I need to defend my kids or go kill a deer for everyone to eat.

Actually, for reals I have a 72 hour kit with food and medical stuff in my car. I packed food for two adults, the kids, and one of those huge beef dog food chubs in case there's a dog with me. Then I've got drinking water, a blanket, flashlight, lighter, can opener, etc.

And a machete. lol
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I keep a machete in with my spare tire, in case there's ever a zombie apocalypse when we're away from home and I need to defend my kids or go kill a deer for everyone to eat.

Actually, for reals I have a 72 hour kit with food and medical stuff in my car. I packed food for two adults, the kids, and one of those huge beef dog food chubs in case there's a dog with me. Then I've got drinking water, a blanket, flashlight, lighter, can opener, etc.

And a machete. lol
Romy, you are/were a Morman, correct? I'm curious--there seems to be a trend with Mormans as a group to be into storing food...why is that?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Romy, you are/were a Morman, correct? I'm curious--there seems to be a trend with Mormans as a group to be into storing food...why is that?
I was. The church encourages members (and back it up with certain scriptures) to be prepared so that, should anything bad happen, they can care for themselves and their families. They help to instruct members in how to build up financial savings and their food storage, not just for natural disasters but any sort of "emergency." Should the breadwinner lose their job, for instance, it is handy to have money and food saved up.