Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Default Discipline aggressive husky need help ASAP or she'll go to shelter

My husky, Shelby, is in DESPERATE need of help. Saturday and also today she tried to attack me when I disciplined her. Saturday she was eating our Taco Dip off the bed and I yelled "No Shelby!" and I went to pull back on her collar. She immediately turned and growled and tried to grab hold of my hand. I dropped the collar and then everytime I went to grab it for a few minutes she would snarl, growl, and lung at my hand. Finally I was able to grab it, put her collar on, and take her in the kitchen. The weird thing is when I went back in there an hour later she was just so sweet, like her usual self. She wagged her tail and licked my face and hands. Then today (Monday) she had escaped from the kitchen and was trying to eat the crackers that my daughter was eating in her height chair and I said "Shelby, NO!" and I agian went to pull her back and she didn't growl but she turned her head to snap at me. I put her in the kitchen and she got out and ran into the bathroom. I agian went and got her, she was half way to the kitchen and then she started growling and lunging to bite me. We have small children so obviously she is going to have to go to training or get brought back to a shelter. Does anyone have any advice on how to train her or somewhere to bring her. Due to unforseen events we can not afford an expensive trainer for her. We are in the Northwest Indiana area.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
~3 Mutts~

How about NILIF training?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Top Dog

Just incase you don't know, NILIF training is every single time your dog wants something (a belly stratch, food, to go outside, etc.) it has to do something for you like a sit, down, etc.
Maybe Shelby was abused before you got her? So then when you go to scold her she goes into defencive mode? Does she show any other signs of dominance? Like growling at you when you walk past her food bowl, barking at you when you give a command, stiffing when you pet her on the shoulders, etc.? Has she had any obedience training at all?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Anytime you raise your voice she gets aggressive. Even when walking her if she goes to dart out in the road and there is a car coming (she's always on leash of course) and I say no and go to grab her she will snap at me. She is trying to be the dominant dog in the house (we have one other dog). She isn't food aggressive (in fact I can stick my hand in the dish while she is eating and she will just eat around it). She doesn't bark when getting a command either. She has always seemed a little shy when go to pet her she will sort of stiffened up like she is scared. We haven't gotten her obedience classes but we were thinking about it. The only time she is aggressive is when she knows she's done something, and you go to grab onto her collar. We called two different shelters today and they said they wouldn't even think of taking her but if they did she would most likely be euthanized.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:32 PM
MIiA

I'm not a behaviorist, but it sounds a lot like "food agression". If Shelby is aggressive around food and you show signs of aggression, it'll escalate.

I don't honestly know how to overcome it but these are the things I'd try.

Firstly, speak softly to Shelby and lure him away with a treat or something.

Secondly, put him in a crate or another room when meals/snacks are being served. Make it a positive experience though...a kong with filling works.

Thirdly - and please note, this is what I'd try and I'm not recommending it - scrap the food bowl altogether and feed him by hand for a while so he gets the idea that you're providing the food - not competing for it.

I'd definately start with the first two suggestions though.

I really hope things work out.

Andrew
Old 05-02-2005, 02:33 PM
~3 Mutts~

It sounds like Shelby was abused. Maybe someone used to grab her collar and hurt her. It sounds like she was yelled at a lot, too. Not many shelters will take a dog like that. You can probably find her another home, though. Maybe instead of saying NO switch to DON'T, because maybe her previous owners yelled NO to the point of making her scared of the word. Best of luck!

~Purr
Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I'll try switching to another word, and not pulling. If you don't yet at her you can grab her collar without her snapping. But once you yell than that is when she will start snapping and trying to bite. My main concern is for my daughter's and stepson's safety. If they were maybe 10+ years old I wouldn't be so worried but my daughter's only 1 on my youngest stepson is 5. I think we might try to find her another home but definetely not with small children, and the people would have to be experienced with dogs as well. I hate to give her up but she worries me. She also doesn't seem at home here either, it looks like she is constantly trying to go somewhere (like she's trying to get somewhere). I don't know maybe she's trying to get home, but she just acts like she doesn't feel at home here.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Sounds like food aggression to me

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I have another question. I don't even know if pulling on their collar could be consider mistreating or abusing them. I just want to assure everyone that I am not trying to be mean or anything, to her. If it is considered abusing them or whatever I would stop right away, I just don't know. I didn't want people thinking I was abusing my dogs. I love them very much, and I would hate to think I am the reason that she is like this.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I'm confused. A lot of people are saying it's food aggression but she's not aggressive around ALL food. Like if I feed her in the morning I can literally stick my hand in her food bowl while she is eating and she will not growl or anything, she'll just eat around. In fact like the past few days she hasn't gotten aggressive until my voice got raised and I said "no". I'm just confused, are there certain types of food aggression?