Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I want a dwarf lab please!!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm All Ears

I was thinking the dwarf dobe looks like a dachshund.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

I don't know enough about it to add much to this thread. But I knew a dwarf Doberman. She was quite a surprise for her breeder. She was better proportioned than the dog featured in this thread... but still odd looking for the breed. I will have to see if I still have pictures stored on the computer somewhere. She only lived to almost 5 as she was also born with other health issues.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

I find it quite interesting that most well bred corgis have much better legs and feet as the dwarfism affected dogs from the other breeds. Is there a reason for that? I see some with extremely distorted legs and very east/west feet, extremely down on the patterns, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

This is a pretty good explanation of what is going on with the limbs of dwarf dogs: http://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/...g-on-in-there/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
I find it quite interesting that most well bred corgis have much better legs and feet as the dwarfism affected dogs from the other breeds. Is there a reason for that? I see some with extremely distorted legs and very east/west feet, extremely down on the patterns, etc.
Well, most well bred dogs have better structure than pet bred dogs, dwarf or otherwise. In some breeds weak pasterns, east west fronts, ect are fairly common structural faults. Still, feet turning out and bowed fronts are not unusual in dogs of dwarf breeds at all.

And Ziggy!

First generation Box x Corgi mixes with varying degrees of dwarf characteristics:

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Here's a question:

I know corgis and other dwarf breeds have been bred for LONG LONG LONG LONG LoNG LONG times to have these characteristics, extreme dwarfism, and the gene pool has been likely entirely wiped out of dogs who do not carry the dwarfism mutation.

But do these dogs, purebred, ever produce an anomaly or throwback dog that is not a dwarf? Or even if it was 100 years ago...any records of corgis/bassets/dachshunds producing puppies with "normal" bone growth and the legs of a non-dwarf dog?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Big Dog

OMG you have a pic of Caleb on this thread!!! He's such a cutie!!!

To answer the previous question, there is a HUGE variation in Cardigans specifically. Pemmies are more of a cookie cutter breed, but Cardis can be all over the place.

I've seen some Cardigans that I thought were BC mixes, but were actually purebred. Wouldn't have believed it had I not known where they came from.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Glutton for Crazy

A dwarf Malinois would be amazing.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm All Ears

I would LOVE a miniature malinois. Like... a sheltie sized mal. Awesomeness.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Big Dog

I'd also like to add that it's in our breed standard that Cardigans not have straight fronts, so that wrap you see and the turn out are supposed to be there. Some dogs have too much, some have too little. My girl, Miz Naughty, is too straight in the front.

Pembrokes and Doxies are *not* supposed to have wrap or turn out. Neither are beagles, although you do see alot of bow legged eastie westie beagles out there for some reason. Anyway, Pemmies are to have straight fronts.

Weak pasterns are a problem in almost every breed, as are bad feet. I find that angular bone often results in witchy toes and bad feed. My Miz Naughty isn't oozing with bone, but she does have nice round bone and good round feet.

Something I cannot stand is a short toed dog with flat pads. That is the WORST Yuck! lol