Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Default Border Terriers

This is WAY off, like when we move and have more space lol

BUT, hubby wants a terrier again, and I'm definitely game. We'll have a child by this point, potentially two. Obviously we will have GSDs...and Eden and Limit (who are fantastic with small dogs).

I'm looking for recommendations for nice breeders...dog would most likely be into flyball and/or agility and barn hunt. BUT, primarily as a very active pet. I mostly just want to have breeders to watch what they produce in the next few years.

Hubs REALLY wants a Jack (we've both lived with them for several years when ex's owned them), but I'm not into the white coat...Otherwise we like them though (and it's a possibility still for sure). Any other terrier breeds that might suit better. He's wanting the scruffier look, I prefer the smooth...Lines tending towards less dog aggression are going to be preferred for obvious reasons. We crate and rotate as it is, but it's really lovely that our current pack allllll gets along.

Share the infos! Please
Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Just try me..

Most BT I have met have no where near the drive of a JRT. They make lovely pets and are adorable as all get out. The breeder I got Seren from is an active terrier man (hunter) he went across the pond to get BTs that would hunt) He did some crossing of JRTs and BTs. Don't know how they hunted but they were super cute.

If you are looking for drive in a small terrier sans white what about a Patterdale?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Most BT I have met have no where near the drive of a JRT. They make lovely pets and are adorable as all get out. The breeder I got Seren from is an active terrier man (hunter) he went across the pond to get BTs that would hunt) He did some crossing of JRTs and BTs. Don't know how they hunted but they were super cute.

If you are looking for drive in a small terrier sans white what about a Patterdale?
The "terrierness" of the JRT is what my hubby wants. So if the BT is too watered down, that will be a no go. The other really nice thing about JRT is they are in rescue a lot so we could go that route as well...

I looked into Patterdale...the issues I saw (and please, if you have more info, do share!) were lack of accessibility, SERIOUS prey drive (like kill all the things prey, and we've got working line GSDs so I know prey drive fairly well), and dog aggression.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Just try me..

I have only met a few patterdales and they were nice and were pretty much black JRTs. But then again my JRTs have had quite high prey drives. (kill all the cats/rodents and the like. Try to eat the horses if they thought they could get away with it)

JRTs in rescue are ubiquitous. What about rat terriers? I don't know them personally but I hear they are drivey without being aggressive.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

Without knowing a ton about these breeders dogs too much, as far drive/etc gos, these are a few I personally have saved in my bookmarks for the future.

http://www.sunkistborderterriers.com

http://www.zealouskennels.com/index.html

http://www.mchenryborderterriers.com/

Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Puppy Dog

I know several BT breeders. Some in Ga and more in the south east, there is a friend of mine in Tennessee and I find my self stopping and looking at his BTs when they show up in my fb feed.

I love BTs. When I decide to get an easier, calmer terrier I will go with a BT. They are not what I would call watered down but (most) are not as hard hitting, balls to the wall as a PRT or a JRT is. They are still pretty drivey and very easy to do other stuff with and mix well with other breeds. I know a local man who has BTs and he has Master Earth Dog hunt titles on them and Barnhunt titles, they are the most high energy BTs I have ever seen. Way more than my PRTs. A general BT will do well at all sports you want to put it in. They are my second favorite terrier breed.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Aussie Obssessed

A friend of mine has an Otterby Border Terrier, MACH 13 one of the top Border Terriers in the country for Agility. And Otterby produces lots of top Agility Border Terriers.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

I have a major want for one, like now.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
They are not what I would call watered down but (most) are not as hard hitting, balls to the wall as a PRT or a JRT is. They are still pretty drivey and very easy to do other stuff with and mix well with other breeds.
I agree with this. A good BT is a fabulous earth dog and they make awesome agility dogs. I am not a terrier person at all, but an agility friend of mine has BTs and I love them. He was fostering a little male for breed rescue many years ago, and he nearly came home with me...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ NF CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 AM
Top Dog

and lets not kid ourselves, we need more scruffy terriers on Chaz.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/