Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: How old were you when you had your first menstrual period?
<11 10 11.90%
11 11 13.10%
12 23 27.38%
13 24 28.57%
14 5 5.95%
15 2 2.38%
16+ 9 10.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I was around 16 years old, thank God.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

I was 10, it was very close to my 11th birthday though I think. My mom had started at ten as well.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Absolutely no idea. How do you guys remember this stuff?!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Well, some people's families make it a pretty big deal, like "you're a woman now!!!" I've heard of people having parties, going out to dinner to celebrate, etc

And, if your family does not celebrate this life tragedy, it's fairly like to be a mortifying experience if, say...you're 9 and don't know what a period is and think you're hemorrhaging, you get it at school, or your visiting your estranged father when it pops up.

Plus, my doctors have always asked me pretty frequently...so...gotta remember for those people.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

I was almost 17. I remember my mom getting nervous about me not getting it, she took me to the DR and he said it was late and if I didn't get it in the next 6 months they would do some tests, but I did get it soon after. I was on steroids off and on in my teens because of bad cases of poison ivy and sumac and my mom was afraid they did something to me.
One of my daughters was about 10 and the other 16. I don't know how true it is but the DR. at the time told my mom that girls with more fat tend to get it earlier than those with less body fat.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well I'm only 25 LOL, it was less than 10yrs. ago! Plus in my case it's kind of hard to forget since it did start literally the day of my 16th birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaJD View Post
I don't know how true it is but the DR. at the time told my mom that girls with more fat tend to get it earlier than those with less body fat.
That is true, I was always super tiny with very little fat (and still am), so I hardly ever get a period anyway.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

I've also heard girls with more body fat get it earlier...I'm SUPER thin, but I wasn't as thin in middle school/early high school when I started.

I've also never missed a period, ever, even when I was emaciated and treated for starvation in a hospital. I had a BMI of <15 at one point, and still always got my period, 26 days later, every time.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Well that's a slightly amusing story. Right around the time I got my first period, my pet guinea pig died.

Why I remember this all so well is that one day my teacher at the time took me out into the hall and told me that my mother had let her know what was going on, and she knew I was going through a rough time and if I needed anything blah blah blah. Naturally I thought she was talking about Fluffy dying and I was thinking "Wow, my mom and Mrs. B are really cool, they get it."

Turns out she meant getting my period and when that became clear later in the conversation I was like... "Whut? THAT stupid thing... is not hard."

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I got mine at 12 and was in the 7th grade. As far as body weight... I had just finished going through a tubby phase right before a major growth spurt and ended up being pretty thin.... so not sure if body weight contributed to when I started or not.

Nowadays I rarely ever get my period.... once every so often if that. I don't think I ovulate right now so when I do get my period I think it's just my body shedding everything that's been building up over the months because when I do have mine it's pretty bad. Sorry for TMI.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaJD View Post
I don't know how true it is but the DR. at the time told my mom that girls with more fat tend to get it earlier than those with less body fat.
I've heard that as well, but my experience was pretty different. All my overweight friends were late, all the thinner ones were earlier, under 12. Could be completely random scenario, though. I'd imagine it has to do more with actual health, and not just weight. Also, if you are active/serious in a sport or not. Genetics, too.

Last edited by Lyzelle; 02-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.