Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Vibrams.. running in the city?

I'm due for new running shoes. So of course I went to the nike store but on my way there, I stopped into the vibram store and really liked all they had to say and even tried on a pair! (called the c-ya or something..they had laces)
I would love to have a pair just for running.. but what I'm concerned with is how this shoe will protect my joints..considering I run almost exclusively on concrete/sidewalk.
they also need to be good dog walking shoes and yea.. concrete. Lots of it.

Right now I wear Nike frees..which are pretty minimal.

I can't believe I am even exploring these options but I see a few runners wearing them and they rave about no more chin splints and such so I figure..why not?

and what was your routine for getting used to them? I am thinking of maybe doing c25k again to kind of wear them in
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

I am not a runner, I am VERY far from it indeed. But I LOVE my vibrams! I have worn them walking for several hours at a time through, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and now Cabo and I have got t say they are by far the shoes that make my feet happiest! I do have plantar fasciitis, and have had it for three years, any other shoes over anything other than going from my truck to my door, and my foot is freaking killing me, unless I'm wearing my Vibrams! Can't wait to get another pair in the spring!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I've never had trouble walking on concrete in a Vibram sole. We went on a 5-miler around the block the other day (...big blocks...) and I was fine.

Running...I know people do it but I can't. At least not long distances. That said I have the thinnest of the thin...WT10 Minimas and KSOs...maybe a thicker sole would be better but I run on dirt primarily so don't worry about it...I like thin.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Lord Cynical

Yep, no more shin splints for me! When it's not winter, I generally run 10-15 miles a week (on grass/gravel/pavement) - in Spyridons.

I got used to them by doing C25K from the beginning. Worked very well.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

I find it a little painful to run longer distances in my Bikilas on cement the whole time. I've found the key to my shin splint issue is zero drop soles, they also help my flat feet issues. I am in love with my new Altra Intuitions. Cushion for cement but zero drop. I wear them for warmth when it's wet and cold and if I'm going 5+ miles on cement.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM
& the Muttly Crew

P.S. Fran I thought you hated toe shoes with a firey passion? lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Resident fainting goat

Shai.. I very much still do and will somehow have to figure out how to run without looking down at my feet.

but I've "run into" lol a few runners who have nothing but rave reviews and frankly.. I'm intrigued. I've got to nike for all my shoes/gear for years and have been happy but again.. intrigued. I want to see what it would be like for my foot to work..like a foot.

Plus my running form could use some work (I toe-strike) and think minimal shoes might help with working that out.

Problem? I have never been a barefoot person. I wear shoes all the time.. wear socks in the house. I was never a kid that walked around barefoot ever, especially outdoors lol other than at the beach. So I'm interested to know what it would feel like
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I'm telling ya...NB Minimas...you should try them on and see what you think.

The WT10s have no rise and an incredibly thin and flexible sole. It's almost like wearing socks that have a rubber bottom to keep your feet clean.

I know I tend to sing the praises of them but I really really like them, and I am a person who would happily go barefoot forever if the world wasn't so gross (and sometimes very cold)

Old 02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

You might also look into Brooks' Pure line. I'm in PureFlows right now (working my way down to more minimal, though I love them so much I might not keep working down... looooove them...)

My shin splints went away in hefty traditional ASICS running shoes. Just a different pair of hefty traditional ASICS running shoes than I was in when I had shin splints.

Are you having pain with the Nike Frees or just thinking of switching just for something different?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I have several pair of Vibrams and love them. While I love them, I wanted something that looked normal for work, even though I can wear Vibrams without issue.

I searched high and low and tried many different shoes that claimed to be a minimalist shoe. I finally bought a pair of NB Minimus and I LOVE them. They are the closest thing I've found to a Vibram with a solid toe box. They also do a much better job at keeping your feet warm in cold weather. I can wear my NB without socks, and my feet stay warmer than when I wear wool socks and my Vibrams.

....and to answer the question asked. I don't run miles, but I do jog and do it on concrete/grass and have used both and never had an issue.