Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Island dweller

Thanks for bringing up those points Mordy.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:48 PM
no touchy

I'm not saying the AKC is "everything". I'm just saying there is NO SUCH THING as a Miniature Australian Shepherd.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Border Collies R' Us

If it looks like he is hopping when he runs, that's a bad sign. "Hopping" of the back end is a symptom of Hip displaysia. Please get him checked for it.

The mini aussie is growing. There's a lot op people that have them now. Personally, I'd rather have a full-size aussie (i do have 2) b/c they were bred for herding. What is a mini going to herd? Nothing. The mini aussie is a breed though.

AKC for a herding/working dog is worthless anyways. The ABCA (American Border Collie Ass) is trying and has been trying for years to get AKC to drop the BC. They never wanted AKC to recognize the BC in the first place, but they did anyways. Now it's a constant effort to get them to pull the BC out.

FYI: If you have a BC registered w/ AKC and ABCA and the dog wins an AKC conformation title, ABCA will drop that dogs registry. ABCA is about breeding for work, not conformation. I hope they are successful in getting the BC out of the AKC.

Last edited by caseyolee; 02-17-2005 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
I'm just saying there is NO SUCH THING as a Miniature Australian Shepherd.
and i happen to be in disagreement with you on that statement.

http://www.mascaonline.org
http://www.namascusa.com

there's a breed standard and obviously these dogs breed true.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyolee
AKC for a herding/working dog is worthless anyways. The ABCA (American Border Collie Ass) is trying and has been trying for years to get AKC to drop the BC. They never wanted AKC to recognize the BC in the first place, but they did anyways. Now it's a constant effort to get them to pull the BC out.
um, hold it for a second. the AKC does not recognize breeds just out of the blue, the national parent club of a particular breed has to approach the AKC and request it be recognized.

so it is definitely wrong to blame the AKC for everything, even if they don't have all their priorities straight.

from my understanding, the ABCA is a registry, not a breed club.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
no touchy

Well then we must agree to disagree. I can have a different opinion if I choose to, and I do. And that doesn't make me irresponsible or my opinion worthless.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Mini Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyolee
If it looks like he is hopping when he runs, that's a bad sign. "Hopping" of the back end is a symptom of Hip displaysia. Please get him checked for it.
I have heard hopping was a sign of hip displaysia so that was why I posed the question. We plan on having him checked when we return home in May (we are currently abroad). His breeder gauranteed him for hip problems up to a year also so we have always planned on doing a full check up for hip displaysia before he turns a year old.

He doesn't hop at all when he is running. He just does that funny gallop/hop thing when he is between running and walking. His walk is fine also. No problems there. I know that he has no discomfort from it so I thought that maybe it was a just a weird gait he developed to use betweeen running and walking. Any thoughts?
Old 02-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Felurian

Bimmer does the run-run-run-hop thing when he's in particularly high spirits, and Bear did it too.

I don't remember how O'Reilly (the blind Aussie we had) moved at a medium gait, mainly because I don't ever remember seeing him move at anything less than full speed ahead, lol.

If he doesn't seem to be having any pain and doesn't exhibit any real signs of dysplasia, you're probably fine waiting until you get home to have his hips checked thoroughly. I've never had a dog with hip problems, though, so someone who has been through it can give you better first-hand observations.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Quigleyfied

of course you can have a different opinion, i don't argue that - just that you base your opinion on incorrect facts, which results in a pretty narrowminded point of view.

neither did i say that your opinion makes you irresponsible. (huh, where did that even come from?)
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

GeeAnnMarie, I would absolutely get my pup's hips checked as soon as possible. Even if it's not causing him any pain now, to show evidence of structural defects so young is a bad sign. I would also take him to a doggy chiropractor and an acupuncturist, just to cover my bases. The reason I react this way is that I once got close to declaring bankruptcy after a corrective hip sugery for one of my girls, and it didn't work the first time!! I had to take her to a different vet and have it done again, but thankfully they were experts and had a fund set up for us broke people. I always thought that if I'd had her as a puppy, maybe I could've prevented the problem altogether with diet and medical care.

And I think we should take the "mini Aussie" debate elsewhere and leave this thread for GeeAnnMarie's health question. But that's just my opinion.