Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default Vibrams?

I've been looking at them a lot lately, I'm hoping they may be able to help with my hip issues a little bit. Which model(s) do you have, what do you use them for, and how do you like them?

I'd be using them for both hiking and walking (pavement, indoors, outside, dirt roads, etc). Can they get wet? I love wading in water, but obviously I'd take them off if it'd mess them up.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I love mine. I'm still getting used to them whenever I have time to wear them. I haven't worn mine outside much yet though. Mostly walk around the house in them, go up and down stairs and wear them on the treadmill.

There are lots of people here that have LOTS of experience with them so someone will chime in soon I'm sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
MIiA

Love mine enough I have several pair. I have the Komodo LS's and a couple of others, but the Komodo LS's are my favourite.

Mine get drenched regularly in the spring, summer and fall as I use them kayaking. I also basically live in them for those seasons, hence why I have two pair of these. This includes longer hikes over rough terrain.

So far, they've taken a good year of beatings and show no signs of letting up.

The only thing I'll caution you on is don't do a full day in them to start....you'll have sore legs the next day. Start slow - even walking - and build up from there.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
The only thing I'll caution you on is don't do a full day in them to start....you'll have sore legs the next day. Start slow - even walking - and build up from there.
^ Very much so. Give your feet time to get accustomed to them - your feet and legs will be using muscles, tendons and such that they aren't used to using so forcibly, so treat it like a rehabilitation regime at first!

I have two pairs of KSOs and two pairs of Bikilas (one LS, one regular). The KSOs are my daily shoes. I have two pairs because one pair is just about ready to be tossed after three years of wear, and the other pair was on sale. The Bikilas are great for everyday as well, but I also use them specifically for running and hiking.

I would love a pair of Lontras providing they fit well, and I'm also eyeing the Seeyas.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my KSOs! I've been a fan of VFFs since the first pair I got over a year and a half ago.

I do not like Bikilas. I have not tried anything other than KSOs and Bikilas. The thinner/less textured the sole the better for me. They definitely help my balance and my feeling "connected" and even help with sensory processing (probably because they're snug/deep pressure).

I wear mine in water all the time. They're not waterproof (though I think they're working on one), but they dry quickly. They're machine washable, and in a pinch you can toss them in the dryer on low heat. Flows are made specifically for water, and I think they had some new models recently, too. I power-washed the otter pool in them, and that was some nasty, slippery stuff, and they were BY FAR the best shoe for the job.

I never had a problem with wearing them all day from the get go, but I have always been barefoot as much as possible, so it wasn't that much of a transition. I DO tend to overdo it when I start running and break myself because I do too much too soon, though. I'm trying to go slow this time, but it's hard to go slow when it feels good

I do not run in pavement in them, at least not yet. That limits how much/where I can run, because there aren't many unpaved roads near me. But they're fine on the treadmill, so that works. Walking on pavement should be fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Top Dog

I run on pavement, trail run, hike, wade in rivers, and run agility and flyball in mine. I have the Bikilas. I bought flows, and KSOs and neither fit comfortably so I only have Bikilas and LOVE them!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I have KSOs I like for the summer but in the winter my feet freeze.

I mostly wear New Balance Minimas, which are made with a thin Vibram sole, because (1) I can wear normal socks with them, (2) I can get by with wearing the black ones at work most days (VFFs would not fly and I keep a pair of nice black dress shoes in case I have an important meeting pop up), and (3) I don't end up having conversations about my shoes with random people.

They seem to have really helped my knees and shins. Apparently I have good feet for them, which helps.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Behavior Nerd

I have several pairs: TrekSport, KSO, two KomodoSports, and a KomodoSport LS pair.

The KomodoSports and KomodoSport LS pairs are my everyday shoe unless it's rainy or below 40* out. I wear them all over, run on pavement, and hike (10+ miles at times) in them with no issues.

My TrekSports were my first pair and are a bit small, so they are now just backup for my others. The KSOs are too thin for me to really like wearing on concrete, so I use them as my primary watersports shoes and indoors on matting usually.

I'm hoping to get a pair of the water resistant, fleece lined Lontras at some point so that I have a pair of VFFs for all seasons.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Glutton for Crazy

My only complaint is I don't have cold weather ones. I wore through my first pair but I hear you can send them in for refurbishing? I looooove them.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
My only complaint is I don't have cold weather ones. I wore through my first pair but I hear you can send them in for refurbishing? I looooove them.
I wore through my first pair, too. I never heard of refurbishing, but that would be awesome! I just used Shoe Goo to temporarily fix them (fill in the holes in the sole) until I could afford another pair. It actually worked really well.