Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Would you spend $1000 a night to stay here?
Yes, of course! I wouldn't visit unless I could stay there 0 0%
Yes, I would- it's worth it to be that close 2 5.71%
Yes- other 0 0%
No way! Even the classiest hotel in the world isn't worth $1000/night 11 31.43%
No way! That hotel isn't special enough to be worth $1000/night 2 5.71%
No- I'd rather take the bus ride and stay somewhere cheaper and/or nicer in town 16 45.71%
No- other 2 5.71%
Maybe- I could see myself splurging on it 0 0%
Alpaca and Cuy meat 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Default Would you spend $1000 a night to stay here?

Okay, for the most part, lodging in Peru is inexpensive. Other than a couple of "splurges", we were able to book each hotel/B&B for under $100 each night.

Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) is a bit different. We're spending a night there before going to Machu Picchu, which is a 30 minute bus ride.

The hotels are pretty overpriced in Aguas Calientes- the whole town survives only on tourism. The hotels (in 'tourist season') range in price from about $50 to about $600.

The $600 ones are supposedly really nice. Our hotel is somewhere in between.

Anyway, there's a hotel a mile from Machu Picchu- it's the only hotel where you don't have to take the bus. The rooms aren't anything special- it's the location. You can't see Machu Picchu from the rooms, but you get to avoid the bus.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e.html#REVIEWS

The rooms start at $1000 a NIGHT.

So, if you were planning on a visit to Machu Picchu, would you spend $1000 to stay there? Keep in mind that you can stay in Aguas Calientes in a nicer, higher class hotel for one third to half that price.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I wouldn't even spend a $1000 to stay in Cinderellas castle for one night lol

Not a chance. I could extend my vacation by almost a whole week for that much lol One night is so not worth it. I don't care if they put gold coins on the pillows and the toilet powders my butt after I'm done. NO WAY would I pay $1000 for one night lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Not a chance. If I was going to do it again, i'd do the hike. We were there hours before any large groups that could take buses and watching the fog lift and sun come up was worth it to me.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My answer- I couldn't imagine ever spending that on one night in a hotel room.

I'm kind of amazed that they're actually booked solid for the week we're going.

We rented a house on the Pacific Ocean with a pool in Nicaragua for that amount for an entire WEEK.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I wouldn't even spend a $1000 to stay in Cinderellas castle for one night lol

Not a chance. I could extend my vacation by almost a whole week for that much lol One night is so not worth it. I don't care if they put gold coins on the pillows and the toilet powders my butt after I'm done. NO WAY would I pay $1000 for one night lol
Best answer ever LMAO
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Although the hotel looks swanky, I don't think I could look myself in the mirror if I dropped that much cash on one night in a hotel, no matter how nice it is.

Though the suggestion of hiking or something like that there sounds like it would be a better experience

Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Depends on how much money I have I guess.. If i was a millionaire, sure why not. 1000 a night probably doesn't mean much in that regard.

In terms of hotel pricing, In New York City and London, England, I know many hotel charge upwards of $10 000 a night. And the rooms are always booked, you have to book months ahead of time.

So it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have and what kind of experience you want to have I suppose.

Personally, for me, at this point, I can't afford $1000 a night. But if I were wealthy, I probably would.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Top Dog

Nope. The most we've paid is $550 a night, which was at the Atlantis Hotel (a very,very, VERY nice hotel) in the Bahamas.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Not a chance.

I might spend $1000 for the night on a hotel room if it was one of those underwater hotel domes where I could watch the fish all night. Or if it was on the moon.

Maybeeee maybeee if I HAD the money, I'd spend it on a hotel room IF it came with...IDK, a swanky dinner and champagne and a hot tub on the deck overlooking the ocean and private beach access or something.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
Depends on how much money I have I guess.. If i was a millionaire, sure why not. 1000 a night probably doesn't mean much in that regard.

In terms of hotel pricing, In New York City and London, England, I know many hotel charge upwards of $10 000 a night. And the rooms are always booked, you have to book months ahead of time.

So it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you have and what kind of experience you want to have I suppose.

Personally, for me, at this point, I can't afford $1000 a night. But if I were wealthy, I probably would.
It's not about the money, it's all about perceived value. For a thousand bucks I could do that hike a few times, have a great time with the guides and friends, see some absolutely breathtaking scenery for a few days, get a nice walk in, create memories and tip the guides enough for a few months pay for them and still have money left over.

Whether I was dirt poor or was Bill Gates, I'd still be doing the hike. I don't even remember a hotel being at Machu Picchu. Probably was, but certainly wasn't anything to remember.

That's not to say I wouldn't like to drop 10K on a room in a major city and live like a King for a night once and while, but Machu Picchu isn't about that experience. At least for me it wasn't. Plenty of other places in the world for that type of experience in my opinion.

For the money, I think there is a 2 day hike, which was basically a bus to the base, a short walk up to a "hotel" and you can walk in with the rest of the hikers in the morning, long before those entering thru the gates of Machu Picchu get to go in. So if it's about location and getting there earlier, at least do that one. We were up and packed up by 3:30 am and racing to the sungate where we were greated by a thick fog to see the sun rise