Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.47%
No 34 40.00%
Almost 15 17.65%
This is a dog forum? 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Puppy Dog

Only a tentative yes on the new kid.

Pixie is from a backyard breeder so her structure is a nightmare. However, she's always had a great work ethic and was a breeze to train. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she has a lot of heart and always tried her best.

Emma is from titled parents and I'm sure many people would have bred her. She's fine with other dogs, is trainable (trial-able is a different story!), very athletic, amazing prey drive (which often interferes with training) and so-so structure. But she's fearful of random inanimate objects and she has higher anxiety than i'd like in a staf. Her granddam and her sire lived into their teens.

If someone would have approached me with a nice bitch i would have bred my BC. He's a rockstar in training and quite nice structure wise. He's titled on both ends and cleared a few health tests. Breeding a male seems difficult though, especially if you have goals with a litter. The sport people saw him as too barbie and the conformation people thought he wasn't typey enough. *shrug*

Ash is a nightmare of behavior issues, despite his fairly nice structure.

Nova is the golden child. I've waited near a decade for good bloodlines and she was worth it. Awesome temperament, stable, trainable, useful drives, fearless with an off switch. Nice moderate structure that i'm hoping improves with age. However, she has some minor faults that i think will hold her back in AKC (are those HOUND ears?). We are going to try UKC and possibly ADBA and see what she does. If her health tests are all clear she might be knocked up by her 5th birthday.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Top Dog

Nia? No.

Although she's fairly nice conformationally, she has one fault where she is pretty east/west in the front. Other than that her conformation is good.

That being said, she is not the most outgoing dog, is dog reactive and not as outgoing as I think the breed should be.

The pluses for her is that she's incredibly drivey and very very in tune with the handler and very eager to please and pick up on new things.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I want a little Ash.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

No.

But if I could add a new hypothetical stipulation that dogs were more like horses and I could breed Boo and just get one puppy to keep for myself, I'd do it.

She's not a perfect dog by any means, but she's a great dog for me.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM
<3 mes deux filles <3

I'll have to go with a big fat no, here.

Tilly was used as a breeder dog before the breeder retired her at 6 years old, and then ended up in a rescue. I hope her puppies had a better beginning then she did.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I want a little Ash.
You can HAVE little Ash. He's a bag of nerves!! And i can't seem to find his focus anywhere... (looks under couch cushions)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffanatic View Post
You can HAVE little Ash. He's a bag of nerves!! And i can't seem to find his focus anywhere... (looks under couch cushions)
How old is he? Pirate is just getting his focus now, at 3 years. Well, he had amazing focus as a 7 week old puppy, but that was apparently just to trick me into picking him, because it's been AWOL for almost 3 years.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Awe Ash <3 we should get together again and see if we can bring out some of that cattle dog.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Sometimes I consider breeding Sham to create the start of the apocalypse. I think I would breed him to a Malinois.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Lab Love

Nope.

Duke has a weak immune system - he gets everything. He had a weird IBS type thing when he was younger, before I had him. He had demodex mange, he had kennel cough, and now we're dealing with some really, REALLY, bad allergies. He's been on steroids on and off since July. I'm also worried about future neurological issues because he had a weird moment where his pupils were drastically different. One was pin sized, one was a plate. Sometimes I still notice a pupil difference if he's really stressed or excited.

His structure is very narrow, too thin for a lab. Labs are supposed to be thicker dogs, with moderate bone. I blame him getting neutered at 4.5 months.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever