Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.47%
No 34 40.00%
Almost 15 17.65%
This is a dog forum? 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I am undecided on Quinn. She has many great things about her - she is a beautiful dog with good structure. She is effortlessly athletic and can go all day. She has great toy and food drive, with awesome agility potential. She has a ton of herding drive and our trainer has no doubt we can get her titled and moving up the levels. She isn't all show though - she is a wonderful farm dog at home and very versatile. Aware of her handler but with enough independence to make her own decisions if needed. Intelligent and thoughtful. Family oriented. Loves people. Rock solid nerves and 100% trustworthy with any child or small animal. Has demonstrated some good protective instinct and also the ability to turn it off and be content with the person as soon as I say they're okay. High drive with lots of desire with an amazing natural off switch. Very easy to live with. Registered both ESC and UKC from health tested parents, with close relatives doing tracking, agility, obedience and flyball.

Certain things make me hesitate. She does have seasonal allergy problems. Her DR I wouldn't necessarily count against her as I am quite certain that she would be fine if I had handled her better. Certain structural things. I wish she had more coat. She still needs her hips and elbows done and I would like to title her.

If ever bred I would seek out a male who is a bit more easy going with more balanced drive. Quinn can be a little intense at times and most ES people would probably prefer a dog that's softer on sheep. Some days I do lol. Ideally, if bred to something easier going while still maintaining proper drive and structure, we would get more of a range in drive and aptitude.

All very hypothetical! I am very content buying, not breeding
But... I want Quinn babies. Since you won't provide me Quinn herself, or a clone
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Are you dead yet?

Yes and no. Eve is a brilliant creature, structurally almost bombproof, with tons of drive and a good work ethic. She fits what her breed should be, but she is also prone to being a bit temperamental and stresses easily when exposed to certain stimuli. I made the decision not to breed her because she's never had a fair test of her aptitude as a sheepdog.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

Sonic, not even close. Dumb as a post, slow run up, & no muscle on the left side of the head.
Olive looks good in type, but I haven't been able to put her on enough game to be worth health testing.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Dog Elitist

Ransom - no way. Structurally I don't think there is that much wrong with her, although I've never done any health testing. She is very very small, but still within standard for an Am Bulldog. But her temperament is totally out of standard. Not confident, not very intelligent. I love that silly white dog...

Callen - sadly no. He has a disqualifying fault. Of course all of his health clearances came back great - figures. He has several minor faults if you wanted to pick him apart, but without the DQ I would consider him breed-worthy. His temperament is fantastic. The vets office questioned me when I took him in for his neuter, said he was the friendliest and best looking rottie they'd met. Ok, done bragging on my boy...

Recon - don't know yet. Comes from GCH parents, fully health tested with back end titles, so the potential is there. We shall see...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva - time will tell. There are a lot of things I love, some things I accept, and some things I wouldn't promote. She needs to be health tested and have far more titles before I'd make any decision, obviously. If her breeder and I can find the perfect boy, it's a possibility. He would have to be sound, moderate (no feet coming straight out of his chest), titled in sports or at least herding, and dog social/tolerant. I would like for her gain better focus, she can be like a kid in a candy shop in certain situations. However, these guys mature slowly and her mother made a major turn around 3 and began working as a service dog around that time. She had many of Keeva's less desirable traits until then as well, and outgrew them.

It's definitely not off the table, if I could find the perfect boy. Oh, and she absolutely needs to see stock several times and have her instinct evaluated (I really doubt that will be a problem, LOL, but still), bare minimum, for me to breed her. Ideally she'd have a good amount of experience on both sheep and cows.

Overall, she's a great little corgi and she's always been healthy as a horse, could seriously eat anything, and is mentally sound. Her structure is very sound and she's certainly athletic! And... this is a minor consideration, but, I love her head/expression. Sweet, feminine, but bright and intelligent.

Macky - I dunno, but she's a **** good dog! Go anywhere, do anything, and tries her hardest at whatever I ask her to do. Biddable and obedient but not really soft. SUPER nerves, both socially and environmentally, and just a kind nature. In a theoretical world... I might consider it. I guess I'd take her to a field Cocker (hmmm, she and Ollie would make some fun babies). Ollie has more obsessive drive than she does (though she certainly has drive), which would be perfect to add to the mix. Her structure isn't perfect but it functions and at 7 she's still silly, energetic, and sound.

Blossom - Noooooooooooooooooooooooo way. LOL. I love, love, LOVE her but there's a reason she's getting her uterus cut out right this very moment, lol. She's a great dog and had she received any socialization I'm sure she'd be almost overly-social in public. Her environmental nerves are quite solid as well. Awesome drive, etc... There's a ton I love about her, BUT... her dam's side is not known for producing sound dogs. Her dam was washed by a broker/dealer/breeder because she's super sharp/fear aggressive. Her owner almost could not have her spayed because they couldn't get her sedated safely. Aleron has asked about that side of their ped (KNPV dogs) and was basically told they were some nasty, crazy, overly sharp dogs - and this from people who enjoy crazy, sharp dogs, LOL. Her sire's side is excellent, and I'll look to those same lines when I want another Mal. But no, I would never breed Blossom, not knowing what she has behind her on her dam's side. It's a small miracle she's as sound and social as she is, frankly.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Keeva - time will tell. There are a lot of things I love, some things I accept, and some things I wouldn't promote. She needs to be health tested and have far more titles before I'd make any decision, obviously. If her breeder and I can find the perfect boy, it's a possibility. He would have to be sound, moderate (no feet coming straight out of his chest), titled in sports or at least herding, and dog social/tolerant. I would like for her gain better focus, she can be like a kid in a candy shop in certain situations. However, these guys mature slowly and her mother made a major turn around 3 and began working as a service dog around that time. She had many of Keeva's less desirable traits until then as well, and outgrew them.

It's definitely not off the table, if I could find the perfect boy. Oh, and she absolutely needs to see stock several times and have her instinct evaluated (I really doubt that will be a problem, LOL, but still), bare minimum, for me to breed her. Ideally she'd have a good amount of experience on both sheep and cows.

Overall, she's a great little corgi and she's always been healthy as a horse, could seriously eat anything, and is mentally sound. Her structure is very sound and she's certainly athletic! And... this is a minor consideration, but, I love her head/expression. Sweet, feminine, but bright and intelligent.
Omg. I would totally want a Keeva puppy (as long as it's male). It would be like having the offspring of a Mu/Tipper cross.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Sloan - possibly leaning towards Yes, she has some flaws but over all we've found nothing but pleasure with her. Great drives, great size, natural muscle, stable, social, careful, alert, jack of all trades. Her breeder has talked about it with me and we've been approached. I would like to see a bit more from her that time will allow and a sire with lines to balance her but over all yes, in theory.

Backup - possibly. As per his fathers side he's made a drastic leap in maturity around the third birthday. He's coming together nicely but he is an extreme dog and thus would need to be bred carefully. I've discussed this with both his breeder and a few friends that I trust. He is smaller than I would like but he carries more size in his genes, his mom is perfection and his dad is an extreme dog, like him. If we found the right bitch and if he continues the way I see it, yes. He's a spectacular dog but my inexperience said otherwise when he was younger (and I was told I was wrong by tons of better trainers) so the slow maturity is an issue to be aware of as well.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Macky - I dunno, but she's a **** good dog! Go anywhere, do anything, and tries her hardest at whatever I ask her to do. Biddable and obedient but not really soft. SUPER nerves, both socially and environmentally, and just a kind nature. In a theoretical world... I might consider it. I guess I'd take her to a field Cocker (hmmm, she and Ollie would make some fun babies). Ollie has more obsessive drive than she does (though she certainly has drive), which would be perfect to add to the mix. Her structure isn't perfect but it functions and at 7 she's still silly, energetic, and sound.
We need to get Macky and Cynder together, find some studs, and make a breed of hypothetical medium sized Retriever Spaniels. She and Cynder sound so much alike.

(Of course, in this world, Cynder still has ovaries. )

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Abe personality wise and work ethic wise for an Aussie i think he is perfect.

Structurally he is not bad, back end would need some fixing, but his front is not bad. He is sound, has good hips and elbows.
His coat is out of standard and his height is right up there at the top.
Structurally he is a decent dog but not a decent Aussie.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would totally take an Abe-let.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.