Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.05%
No 34 39.53%
Almost 15 17.44%
This is a dog forum? 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

Bailey-never in a million years. She has a few good things going for her, but structurally, she's a train-wreck. She has a myriad of health issues and some mental health problems as well. I love the dog to pieces but she should never recreate!

Buzz-I've often fantasized about breeding him, if he didn't have allergies. He is built very well and he's pretty much the easiest dog to live with. I attribute a lot of his less than stellar behaviors to his lack of training/very poor training as a youngster. We were able to "fix" a lot of it but he just really doesn't give a cr@p about people vs environment unless there's food involved.

Although, they both have all breed-specific health testing completed. So, I can breed them TOGETHER, right?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years

Last edited by SpringerLover; 02-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

Frag; Nope. He's got allergies, and some weird aggression issue in the past likely due to a combo of allergies and nerves. He's got great hips though!

Sir; Eh... He'd make cute puppies, that's for sure! But, he's got too much directed prey drive that isn't controllable. Could be fixed with time, but he's iffy with other dogs, too, so I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Recon; If only he had another nut to use! Lots of ups and downs with him as a puppy, but he's only 6 months old, so it's too soon to tell. He's got GREAT drive and instinct so far, but is a little guardy, too loud for my taste, and a little too soft. He's bomb proof in some areas and in others it's like.. "where did Mr. Confidence go!?".. that's a puppy for ya!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
has a tail (also not to standard)
Well, this isn't Lamarckism. Yorkies are born with tails. They just get them docked. That's like me saying Gavroche is out of standard because he has a tail.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Twin 2.0

Sawyer has a couple of minor structural faults (front pasterns are a hair too long) but other than that and the fact that I have zero idea of his back ground...I would seriously consider it. Stellar temperament, good moderate coat, no health issues and even though he's nine, people mistake him for a four year old.

Too bad he's neutered.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Taxiderpy

Kaia yes. Passed her health tests, AKC pointed, has the most fabulous, most stable temperament EVER, and she killed her first coyote when she was only 7 months old. Killing a coyote is probably the closest any borzoi in the world could hope to get to proving they're still capable of performing their original purpose.

Strider is more complicated. There are things about him that oh heck yes. But there's enough other little stuff that I didn't want to risk being passed on, so he's neutered. He doesn't generally like other males. He developed epilepsy after being poisoned and I don't know if the poisoning caused it or if he was already predisposed and it pushed him over the edge. And he has severe flea allergies. Other than that, he's amazing and sometimes I kick myself for neutering him.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Murphy - No. His temperament with humans and most dogs is freaking awesome (aside from his serial humping tendencies, which could probably be fixed with time and effort) and he's the easiest dog to live with ever. But structurally he's a bit of a freak show. And just because he's aged REALLY well doesn't mean I'd want to chance that on his offspring.

Mu - Ehhhh. I think she'd be fantastic as a sport breed. She's drivey and focused and quick. She's reactive though (which I don't completely count as a negative) and she is rather intolerant of other dogs. I think the reactivity and intolerance would be so so much better if I'd known wtf I was doing when she was a puppy. She didn't get nearly enough socialization. I don't know enough about structure to say for sure, but her's doesn't look quite right to me - it's not bad, but it's not the best either. I also wonder if that would be better if I hadn't had her spayed so early.

Tipper - Nah. I freaking love her structure (which again probably isn't perfect) and her temperament but I don't think she needs to be bred. She's fun and drivey but getting her to focus is hard and tbh it's kind of a pain in the ass. It's the main reason she is not as well trained as Mu. I don't know if she would be better if I'd gotten her as a puppy or if it's just something innate. But if I were a breeder it's definitely not something I'd want continuing.

It's harder to say with Murphy and Tipper. Is Murphy's temperament awesome because it just is, or did someone do an amazing job socializing him as a puppy and his natural awesomeness got a boost? Is Tipper soft and easy to shut down because she is, or because her previous owners yelled at/whacked her for everything? And of course, because I don't know the answers to those questions I wouldn't be willing to hypothetically breed either of them. I can give a fair guess as to where Mu's messed up tendencies come from (*looks at self*) lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Nope.
Not in a million years!
They came from a puppy mill, from parents who should never have been bred in a million years themselves!

Just a look at Trin's "grin" is a pretty good inductor. Mommy passed along her wonky bite to the young'uns. Every single pup out of her has snaggley teeth in some shape or form. Most just hide it better. But poor Trin's bottom jaw is about an inch and half past her upper one.
Both parents also have major fear issues, as do many of the pups, but much of this is due to the conditions they were raised in, but certain Afghan lines can produce dogs that are more fearful than one would wish for.
The father also has terrible conformation. He is a bit of a swayback mule! Robyn's wonky back become more prominent as she gets older.
That being said, both parents are beyond adorable and very gentle. I love meeting up with them...I just wish they weren't so scared so I could give them a cuddle!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Sport Model Pug

If I wanted pugs that win in the show ring? No.

But if I want pugs that can play sports and be active little family dogs. Then yes, in a heartbeat.

Her structure is actually nice, she's not overly straight like show pugs, is nice and flexible, and according to a lot of people is amazingly well built for our activities. The only problem is her height is awkward therefore bumping her to 16" thanks to a mere 1/4" over. We have specials though so meh.

Her temperament is fantastic, she's pretty brave but is loving to pretty much all people unless they're threatening. She's a star therapy dog and awesome shop dog. She learns well and fairly quickly, would probably be even better if I had raised her right.

So provided she passed her health testing and such I would breed her. To a specific dog though. Too bad they're both fixed and unregistered.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Vizsla mom

If Penny didn't have white toes& chest, the breeder was going to keep her as her pick of the litter. Thank you, white markings <3 We got our perfect little defect V! We had last pick but pretty much everyone who took from this litter wanted a male and the people who wanted females wanted either show females or darker colored than Penny.

So all this to say, I wouldn't but if she had no white she would have been tested, titled& knocked up
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM
dogstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Well, this isn't Lamarckism. Yorkies are born with tails. They just get them docked. That's like me saying Gavroche is out of standard because he has a tail.

This. I very much prefer Yorkies with tails

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"