Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.05%
No 34 39.53%
Almost 15 17.44%
This is a dog forum? 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

This is so weird to even contemplate breeding a spayed mutt when I am 100% never ever going to breed a dog! But, just for fun...Lucy is smart as heck, drivey as all get out, structurally very sound, and rapidly progressing through agility titles.

That said, she is a reactive little brat on leash, and can't eat hardly anything without having cannon butt. There are zillions of mixes in the shelter who are also smart and drivey, structurally sound, and agility potentials. As much as I want a Lucy clone one day, I would never breed her.

If someone gave me a puppy Lucy though, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Nope, he's aggressive towards people and reactive towards dogs.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Silence, peasants.

No, no, no. Bless him, but no.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Is there a way to add one more poll option (maybe "some of them") for those with multiple dogs?
I was kicking myself reading this. This is the first time I have ever made a poll and meant to do "can answer more than one" but failed and now I can't fix it. Maybe a mod can?

This is really cool and interesting to see people's evaluations and read what is more important to some than others.

Thanks! I am writing up my monsters now.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Artimis: No way in hell! haha, I love him and he is a fantastic dog for sure. He is super loyal, loving, cuddly, energetic, great off switch. He will lay around as long as you want but as soon as you want to do something he goes 110%. BUT, he is super nervy with new things, people and situations.

Talon: I probably would say no as well, but not for a real specific reason. He is so far pretty fearless of *most* things. He goes through stages, and he's still young so I don't know what his personality will be like when he's done growing. Right now if he stayed the way he was I'd say probably not, only because he is on the stubborn teenage stage and I don't like that.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

No, I do not see Crystal as breed worthy. In my opinion, she has too much of a startle-y temperament, and has far too many fear issues. Her protectiveness of the family is fear based and she is just too fearful in general. Fear aggression towards males and larger dogs is another issue that we have been trying to work with. I just believe she is naturally a 'fearful' dog. But when she is not put into a threatening position, she is perfect. I consider her well behaved, friendly towards kids, tolerant, although wary of strangers. She is willing to please, and naturally likes children. Another thing that makes her less breed worthy, though, is her bad health. She has luxating patella, which is basically her knee caps dislocating and popping out of place. This is genetic, and would be passed down, so no, I wouldn't breed her because of this as well.

Crystal - Professional Family Sidekick as of 2009
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Nope on either. While Maddie has a pretty awesome temperament, and solid structure her skin problems (while completely under control and not a problem now) would rule her out completely. Plus she was the runt so not really to standard lol.. But she's perfect for me!

Bailey's too crazy - jumpy and a bit skittish, I woundn't say her temperament was solid at all - so even if she was a super model (which she isn't, don't tell her I told you! lol) that would rule her out noooooo thank you

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Meg: Not as a Mountain Cur. She has, to the best of my knowledge, never been evaluated as a hunting dog. If someone were considering trying to breed for the ideal family pet dog, she'd be more interesting. I wouldn't say yes as she is; whether her dog issues (reactivity, never actually been aggressive) were in part due to her early life (among other things, I know for a fact she shared a crate - not a kennel, but a crate - with another adult female for quite a while in rescue), or if they could have been prevented - I don't know.

Beyond the dog issue, she's an incredibly ideal pet for most of America. She's a nice medium size, wash and wear coat. She is as close to bombproof as any dog I know with humans of all shapes and sizes. She is happy to go out and be active, but has always handled being home in the house easily. I think she could do just fine as dog who went out in the yard a few times a day. She's got an iron stomach, and has never once had a health issue in the seven years I've owned her. She's too 'soft' for an ideal sport dog, but I think that can be a good trait in a pet.

Gusto: He's too young to really say - but quite likely as part of a sport dog program. His weaknesses would mainly be his size (a bit over the 16" cut-off that I know matters in agility, and which I think is also a big cut-off in flyball) and not quite enough handler focus - which could be a training issue or not.

He's incredibly well built. He's light on his feet without being "flimsy". He's got nicely balanced play/prey/food drives, and can swap from one to the other as a reward and back again. He might be a little soft for some handlers; perhaps my judgement is tainted by having come from Meg! He is softer than I thought when I first was working with him. He needs more work physically and mentally than an ideal pet, but settles well in the house with his current schedule. His dog skills are some of the best I've ever seen. Zero reactivity, happy to play with dogs who want to play, but very respectful of dogs who don't. He isn't outgoing or social with people outside his few favorites, but doesn't display any aggression at all. So far, he's proving to be a nice agility dog, although it is way too soon to really know.

In this hypothetical world, he's one I'd keep an eye on for another year or so and then make a final judgement.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche - absolutely not. Between dysplastic hips, DA/DR, anxiety, hypothyroid, bladder/prostate issues, teeth issues - just, NO.

Logan - I'm not experienced enough in collies to say either way. I can't analyze his structure, coat, etc like an experienced breeder can. All I can say is he's not an absolute, unquestionable NO like Gavroche is. His breeder is free to use him if she ever wanted to, but I'm not breeding him. I do absolutely adore his temperament and would take more just like him. I do plan on getting a dog somehow related to him when it's time for my next collie.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

(If the world was perfect and breeding mix breeds was acceptable.)

Chloe: absolutely not. She has horrible temperament issues (aggression and anxiety) and already at the age of 6 has arthritis in one of her hips.

Gracie: again, no. Although she's not the worse Dachshund I've ever seen, I'm not happy with her build. Her front legs seem too short to me. She also suffers from horrible allergy issues, and while I don't know if those can be passed on to pups...meh.

Cooper: no. I believe he has a mild patella issue in his right rear leg, although otherwise has a very good build for a Yorkie. Very athletic, not fragile at all, and he's shown on more than one occasion he has a ratting instinct. But his personality is just...not all there. Lol He's a good boy, but suffers from mild anxiety and is not the brightest bulb in the world.

Cynder: if she were to pass health clearences, and we knew pups would be like her...maybe. She has a rock solid temperament, is built wonderfully, perfect size, great coat, athletic, smart, active, quiet, able to live in an apartment and not go bonkers being alone all day, cuddly...if there was a dog breed of her, I'd want one. (Maybe breed in some retrieving/tug drive, though.)