Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.05%
No 34 39.53%
Almost 15 17.44%
This is a dog forum? 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Bite Club

Riley: Hell no. Unless your only requirement is a giant freak Malinois
The cons definitely outweigh the pros in his situation. Which is too bad because he is extremely intelligent and powerful when he can be kept under his threshold.

Aura: Still going to say no because she is from the same gene pool as Riley and I also don't have traceable lines to draw from (knpv is all I know). However if it were hypothetically based just on her temperament and health alone, and it was guaranteed that the puppies would be just like her in this magical world, then I'd say yes, because she's pretty awesome.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Keira: No. Structurally, she definitely is not the prettiest Doberman in the world. She'd likely get laughed out of a conformation ring. I adore her size and her overall petite-ness, but still, compared to the Dobermans being shown today, Keira has a different look to her. She's also short in the body which affects her movement. Temperament wise, I think she's naturally too frantic and unfocused and I wouldn't want those traits passed on. She learns slowly because she doesn't think properly, and doesn't care at all about making her handler happy. To me, that's not what makes a good working or sport dog at all. It's frustrating, because she has a lot of drive and energy, but her mind is everywhere at once. OTOH, she's super sweet, unassuming and bomb proof in all except one situation. But no, I definitely do not think the world needs Keira puppies. Keira took a lot of work to live with as a nice and non-annoying pet, which is not typical of her breeder's dogs. And her breeder would be mortified if Keira (or a nearly idential sister) was ever bred.

Ripley: No. He did not grow up to be the dog I thought he would. He's quite soft, can be reactive, is easily over stimulated, and not bold in the way I feel a Doberman should be. He's not fearful either, but there is a certain level of boldness and confidence that I feel a Doberman should have, and he's lacking. He also hardly ever thinks before he acts. Structurally he has some nice qualities, but again, I feel he's lacking in certain areas. He's a nice dog, and the few cons he does have are nothing to write home about, but there is no need for him to be bred.

Dance: No. Definitely not. She is people shy/reactive and it gets in the way of a lot in life. I would never agree with breeding a dog that is sketchy with people. She's not aggressive, and I doubt she'd bite, but she's not stable with people in the sense that she's insecure and barky/growly initially and takes a considerable amount of time to really warm up. This is despite heavy socialization and good experiences. Even in everyday life, she can be a rather insecure dog and worries and panics slightly over nothing (bags crinkling, expen made a noise, a noise outside, etc.). She has good qualities too that I love about her: She's easy to live with, a lot of fun, quick to learn, has a lot of drive and is game for anything. But her issues with people and her tendency to needlessly worry are more than enough reason for me to not want her bred. Even if she's not as bad as some dogs I've seen, it still hinders life.

Journey: Who knows. She's just a puppy. Right now I'd say she has a lot of great qualities that could be passed on temperament wise. She's an easy going, take life as it comes puppy. Quick to learn, loves to please, drivey, doesn't worry about stuff generally, and if she does, she recovers quickly. She's happy to meet new people without caring about them too much, is fine with other animals, etc. She's my idea of a perfect puppy and the perfect dog for me to live with, and I'd love for many more people to experience such a nice tempered puppy/dog. Structurally, she's too young to say much. Puppies change a lot.

But none of my dogs will ever be bred, so they're all moot points haha. And I'm far from an expert as far as breeding goes.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Atlas- I vote yes just going my his lineage and how he is developing thus far. But at 4 months that can very easily change to a huge no.

Enoch-Yes, in that he is phenomenal for me I could own 10 of him and be perfectly happy but I couldnt in good conscious unleash more of him on the world I think 90% of dog owners would find him absolutly unbearable :P
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Sit! Good dog.

What a loaded question!

Bodhi.... Well, I'd have more of her. There's lots I love about her!!!

Fred. No, I wouldn't breed him if you asked me today!! For one, I am still working out how he's going to turn out. He changes almost weekly. He has MASSIVE feet, and I'm wondering if he'll ever grow into them I like his build in a lot of areas, but some I'm waiting to see how they'll end up. His personality is just fantastic, but I couldn't see him ever (ever) being a working dog......... Which is important in a gundog, but I suppose not if you never have any intentions of using them for purpose!! A lot of gsp people do like dual purpose dogs. He's probably a bit too submissive and not confident enough for that, but his confidence is growing all the time.

I just wouldn't feel good about breeding him 'just because.....'. Who knows what wonderful things we might get up to over the next few years though and what kind of dog he will become!! I'm only just learning about the breed, so I'd be a pretty poor judge of deciding what is breeding worthy or not. But I'm meeting a lot of people well versed in them, so learning every day
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

He's too young to tell really but..

Temperament wise? Very much so. He is quick to learn, happy, friendly, aloof but happy to meet people, great with other animals, cuddly, smart.

Pedigree wise? Yes. I adore his parents and his lines.

Health wise? Yes (pedigree wise), he comes from health tested parents and a very healthy family.

But structure wise HIMSELF.. he's too young to tell. He has a lovely coat/markings lol but what does that matter really. He is a solid pup well built pup but everything is kind of growing out so who knows.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM
dogstrong

This is all hypothetical, assuming everybody passed health tests (and family members going back had been, and passed), I had tons of homes lined up, and found the ideal stud or bitch.

I would not do it in real life.

Embyr: Yes. I love this dog so hard. Bursting with drive, makes you think, and a pleasure to work with on a daily basis. I adore her structure, her endurance, her speed, her agility. She's smart as a whip and quick on her feet. After a few teenager quirks, she's has no reactivity or aggression towards anything, exceptionally social, especially with children and the elderly, without losing her focus while working. She has a wonderful sense of humor. There's nothing about this dog I would not like to recreate... I might like her a little bit taller, though.

Shadow: No. There's NOTHING about this dog I would want to pass on, lol. Horrible structure, no drive to speak of, shy with strangers, overall nothing I want in a dog. She's sweet, she fits well in our household, just... not my kind of dog.

Copper: Maybe. Copper is quite intelligent, very agile, fast, lots of food drive. She loves learning new things. She has a stellar off switch in the house, but is up for anything you feel like doing. I'd like to see her have more drive overall. She's pleasant to live with, sweet as can be, and extremely funny. Her structure is decent compared to what I've seen in the rest of the breed, but has room for improvement.

I'll do the fosters in another post.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"

Last edited by Julee; 02-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Obey the Toad.

Sally--No.
-she has lots of allergy/skin issues
-she can be anxious
-she is timid around strangers

Jack--No...
-he has elbow dysplasia
-he is slab sided and more narrow than I would like
-he doesn't quite have the drive I would like to see

Don't get me wrong, my dogs are by far the most awesome dogs in the history of domestic canines, just not breeding material.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
SBT Lover!!

Saxon is an awesome dog. He is mostly healthy, has good strong structure, is extremely intelligent, has a great temperament and still I say no. 1. He has pretty severe food allergies/sensitivities. 2. He is not registered. 3. I know nothing about his mother's side. 4. His conformation is not 100% correct for the breed. 5. He can be nervous around yelling (and especially swearing, lol).
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM
dogstrong

Is there a way to add one more poll option (maybe "some of them") for those with multiple dogs?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

Zander...as much as I fantasize and have fun with the idea, definitely not. Not even in a hypothetical world. He's skittish, shy, has bad hips, bad teeth....and who knows what else. Big fat "no" for me.