Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?
Yes 2 4.00%
No 19 38.00%
Sometimes 22 44.00%
I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything... 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Top Dog

Ooh good idea, I forgot about the $1/lb special that was going on with oversized pups.

Thanks for the help. We may be mortal enemies in this epic breeder vs rescue war, but at least we can agree on eating the flesh of our victims.

Back on a serious note, I did read the thread wrong, CatStina. I apologize for that!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Glutton for Crazy

It's funny going local, most of my friends are not local on my FB.

I have a friend who posts probably 5-10 a day, I don't mind and breeze over them. If I didn't like her well enough I would probably delete her. I have another who does the same number of text photos and ee cards, etc. That actually annoys me more but sometimes they make me laugh and I think, eh to each their own. I post more photos of my dogs than most want to see. lol

While flooding seems counterproductive I can't look at a broken senior in a shelter, I wish I could save them and if there is a tiny chance my cross posting a senior will actually assist in finding it a rescue to pull it, sob story or not, it's worth it to me.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
There are people on my who are involved in dogs and rescue, and sometimes can foster or at least transport or something. I've honestly never known anyone who was not involved in dogs at all to randomly decide to adopt a rescue because it was urgent. If the dog is in my region and I know I could give it some exposure I don't see a problem with sharing it. I think the likelihood that someone on my facebook who should not have a dog will randomly and suddenly decide that they need THAT dog is pretty low, and heck, the right person might see it and be able to help.
Whatever you say. When I see dogs, like the one I posted in the venting thread, who have a rating of "red" and are described as having "severe aggression," "try(ing) to bite," and "not allow(ing) handling" being shared thousands of times with thousands of dollars pledged towards his rescue and people begging to "please give him a chance for love" and saying that "he just wants to be loved," I have a hard time thinking anything good can come out of the situation. If it makes me an evil dog killer not to share him and others like him, so be it.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
Whatever you say. When I see dogs, like the one I posted in the venting thread, who have a rating of "red" and are described as having "severe aggression," "try(ing) to bite," and "not allow(ing) handling" being shared thousands of times with thousands of dollars pledged towards his rescue and people begging to "please give him a chance for love" and saying that "he just wants to be loved," I have a hard time thinking anything good can come out of the situation. If it makes me an evil dog killer not to share him and others like him, so be it.
But I was NOT talking about THAT situation. At all. Nobody said you were an evil dog killer, I just said that I didn't get the logic of "You can't save them all and there is a chance they could end up in the wrong home so it's not responsible to share it." Not sure how you got "evil dog killer" out of that....

If there is a dog in my area who I think might be helped by exposure on facebook, I'll share it. If that makes me a bleeding heart, so be it, there are definitely worse things to be in life, and definitely more meaningless stuff on my news feed on facebook.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Top Dog

Nope. And I hate getting spammed with them too. Generally, they are vague, assuming, and unrealistically placed across the country with a very limited time limit. Let alone the fact that I wouldn't want anyone on my facebook to have a dog anyway.

If there is a dog person I know that I think might have resources or the desire to find that right dog, I will send fosters to them privately. But I don't randomly post junk on my facebook, nor do I feel like adding to the general problem with posting crap on facebook.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Lord Cynical

No.

I have my own fosters to deal with.

And besides... after the dog is saved, no one cares anymore. I have had two fosters that came through, originally, as urgent crossposts. And they happened to be the two fosters I had the longest.

But out of those two, the one that really sticks in my mind is Katie the 12 year old pitbull, who spent 11 YEARS - ELEVEN YEARS - in a shelter. Boo hoo, someone save her, someone pull her, boo hoo. So we did. And guess what? Once she was out of that shelter, everyone forgot about her. I fostered her for six months, and she died. Didn't get a single application, didn't get a single interested glance.

I don't know. Maybe I'm bitter, maybe I'm burnt out - but it did (and still does) make me angry that once those urgent dogs are saved from the needle, people cease to care. Out of the hundreds of people who wanted to see Katie out of that shelter, not one of them actually wanted to live with her.

At least she had a loving foster home until she died, but still. You'd think with all that rallying to get her out, someone would want to take her in. As in a forever home, not a foster home.

And that is why I don't crosspost. Because I can't take in another dog. I'm not going to harangue others into doing something that I myself cannot do.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I'm sorry, I can get very hot-headed and obnoxious about rescue, as I'm certain everyone here has noticed I probably read your post as "I hate people who post pictures of dogs in need and I will block them on the first offense and I hate rescue dogs and eat them for breakfast."

I don't know, I think it's pretty ridiculous to just assume that anybody who doesn't share them doesn't care about rescues.

I mean, I don't share those posts and I run a rescue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Professional Nerd

I share some, typically ones that I like in the hopes that somebody I know will adopt them. It has happened, and then I get to keep up with them

I posted one today that I really really want but can't have. Lol
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm pretty sure the goal to get Katie out of the shelter and given the love she deserved for the time remaining and a chance for a home was achieved.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm pretty sure the goal to get Katie out of the shelter and given the love she deserved for the time remaining and a chance for a home was achieved.
I guess it didn't seem fair - because while she was a foster, she was not in a forever home that would love her. I liked her, but she was "just a foster dog" here - sure she was out of the shelter, and she was off that concrete floor, but it was nothing like having an actual home where she'd be loved and cherished. I wanted that for her. Apparently I was the only one. "Someone pull this dog and foster her for the adoptive home that doesn't exist, until she dies" really wasn't what I'd had in mind when I agreed to foster her. And it really did turn me off to volunteering to help with urgent crossposts in the future.

I can do a lot for rescue - I can emotionally handle a lot from rescue - but I found out that caring for a dying dog with no chance of being adopted isn't something I can handle.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)