Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?
Yes 2 4.00%
No 19 38.00%
Sometimes 22 44.00%
I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything... 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

I 'share' my local rescues stuff. That's about it. Most of the people around me don't want/need a dog, but I know they love animals so they can 'share'. I don't have a lot of friends, so I don't really think I'm saving any dog's lives' by doing it, it's just something that can't hurt. I'm not saying "OMG SAVE THIS DOG NAO." Especially if it's not in my area. Oh, there's a pit bull about to be euthanized in NYC? That's not really new. And it's not something I can stop. I can't save THAT dog. If it's in my local shelter, I might consider posting it.

I had a relative who doesn't live near me ask my dad to give her one of the puppies and local rescue is fostering. Uhh.... no... I can't ship you a foster puppy. (I seriously doubt she would be an ideal owner for it. And I doubt the rescue is comfortable sending a random person in GA a puppy.)

Like others said, I don't want to spam my friends with poor dogs they can't help. It's like the people who 'share' and 'forward' all the cancer kid stuff. I really don't want to see that. Call me horrible, but I don't get on my Facebook to see stuff like that.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
Maybe because I have many local rescue friends? I don't do it constantly; I mostly just share whenever my shelter's "pets at risk" page is updated, and I do share pictures my shelter posts of dogs and cats, even though they're not urgent most of the dog. I don't *think* I do it enough to be annoying. I just really bond with and love all the animals at my shelter, and I try to do everything I can to get them into good homes.
That to me is different, you are directly involved in the rescue and have contacts from it and in the area. It's not a dog you happened to see and cross post every couple hours that is located somewhere in America and needs to be saved URGENTLY!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Nope.
The vast majority are guilt trippy, vague and impossible causes with unknown histories from high intake shelters..somewhere. and of course it's all rushed and the dog needs to be out in like 24 minutes.
I tried to help with a few of these. Got burned too many times...the whole process is so much more involved (and expensive) than anyone encouraging you would have you believe. The last one was the worst, and I won't do anything that isn't local again.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
That to me is different, you are directly involved in the rescue and have contacts from it and in the area. It's not a dog you happened to see and cross post every couple hours that is located somewhere in America and needs to be saved URGENTLY!!
Ohh, okay, that does make sense. I too get kind of bothered when people literally post nothing but blurry pictures of black dogs hiding in a corner with the label "scared aggressive dog will be pts this afternoon please share" and it's located on the other side of the country. I just mean I share pictures of animals I can realistically help with, or at least know people who can help with, and many of these animals I personally have interacted with several times and know what kind of temperament they have.

I'm sorry, I can get very hot-headed and obnoxious about rescue, as I'm certain everyone here has noticed I probably read your post as "I hate people who post pictures of dogs in need and I will block them on the first offense and I hate rescue dogs and eat them for breakfast."

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
By that logic no dog that goes into a shelter should leave it alive. you will never be able to save them all and there are always going to be rotten homes out there....
Quote:
Doesn't mean I can't try to save as many as I can. I am a long time regular volunteer at the shelter I crosspost for, and I get to see updates on many of the dogs we've saved. Most of them are in very good, happy homes.
I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Twin 2

Eeewww, eat a rescue dog?? I only eat pureblooded breeder dogs. You don't know where those rescues have been.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Top Dog

I know, I know, that was an awful thing to imply. But now I'm confused, because I'm getting one of those fancy newfangled stuck up fullblooded breeder dogs soon, and I was going to eat him for breakfast to show how much I hate his kind. I didn't know eating actually equaled love.

Now what do I do
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.
There are people on my who are involved in dogs and rescue, and sometimes can foster or at least transport or something. I've honestly never known anyone who was not involved in dogs at all to randomly decide to adopt a rescue because it was urgent. If the dog is in my region and I know I could give it some exposure I don't see a problem with sharing it. I think the likelihood that someone on my facebook who should not have a dog will randomly and suddenly decide that they need THAT dog is pretty low, and heck, the right person might see it and be able to help.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Incredibly rarely I will crosspost a dog in rescue in a foster home with some decent pictures, a good character bio, known history/temperament who just needs some exposure and has TIME.

That's what I do. Tango was on Facebook and several of my friends shared him (though it didn't matter, he ended up with a chazzer ). When someone I know has a foster or a dog that needs a place, I'll cross post those. That's about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
I know, I know, that was an awful thing to imply. But now I'm confused, because I'm getting one of those fancy newfangled stuck up fullblooded breeder dogs soon, and I was going to eat him for breakfast to show how much I hate his kind. I didn't know eating actually equaled love.

Now what do I do
I like the breeder culls. That way you know where they came from but you're not only getting nourishment but also helping by not allowing them to reproduce.