Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Vizsla mom

I'm not saying it's easy ..as a newbie training my own dog& running a Border, I know it's anything but. I don't even have a Border, I have a Vizsla so I even get there's other breeds

I guess I just lucked out ..I click really well with Briar& my transition from total beginner to handling B fairly well was, well not easy exactly. But in 4 months we've won both events we entered and we work really well together. That said, there's still times with him that I want to rip my hair out. There's also times the same can be said for Penny. I'm assuming fast dogs just means that is par for the course? Heck, Penny isn't even half as fast as B but but just the learning process is taxing.

Although, I will also say a Border DOES have ridiculous drive. Or at least all of the ones I've met& especially B. So, that part may not mesh regardless for your criteria!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
While they are biddable dogs I can say with confidence that Arnold, my lazy "whatever you say" pit bull, is easier. He never gets too creative, he never moves too fast, he's never too pushy, he's never chaotic and quirky and confusing.

I love border collies, really, but I worry about proposing a breed which holds such intensity and challenge without offering up the whole picture.
I think that if it were someone that didn't already compete and know a lot about dogs and wasn't a trainer, I would not be so quick to suggest them, probably would have gone into more details, so I understand what you're saying.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

Other than the Icelandic, I'm not sure any of the others would have much more drive and desire for agility than a Finkie.
Yeah I don't know much about Finkies. I've only ever met one and the dog was lazy lazy lazy.... so probably not a good comparison point.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm All Ears

I love BCs and I think they're great dogs and obviously great sports dogs. But I have met many many border collies over the years. And many many owners. Some of whom got the dog only really because BCs are 'the best'. And the dog is a terrible fit.

Dogs wash out of agility all the time or the owner changes their mind about dog sports. The dog is your pet and partner 24/7 and a sports dog only a portion of it's life. If it's like most people, they spend a few hours a week training. The rest is a pet. Get a dog you like as a pet first.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

Dogs wash out of agility all the time or the owner changes their mind about dog sports. The dog is your pet and partner 24/7 and a sports dog only a portion of it's life. If it's like most people, they spend a few hours a week training. The rest is a pet. Get a dog you like as a pet first.
the point I was attempting, well put!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I love BCs and I think they're great dogs and obviously great sports dogs. But I have met many many border collies over the years. And many many owners. Some of whom got the dog only really because BCs are 'the best'. And the dog is a terrible fit.

This. And, one of the criteria was "drivey but not over the top drivey". Which kind of lets out most BCs. BCs tend to be very driven. It's why I wouldn't have recommended Pyr Sheps (not all the Pyr Sheps I know are really drivey, but if a person doesn't want a really drivey dog, I don't think their odds of liking a Pyr Shep are very high)

I actually think Valhund was a good suggestion.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Taxiderpy

Would a samoyed work as an agility dog? They've got that spitzy independent streak tempered with herder biddability. The only drawback might be the coat if that's not a type you want to deal with.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

The one Coolie I know fits most of those criteria, about 30lbs, definitely has drive but totally not over the top, not much in the way of grooming, definitely a rare breed. He is a bit of a velcro dog, though.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
considering life with a dog is so much more than just sport training/competition.
This.. you should find a dog that compliments you, both in the ring and out.