Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Big Dog

Default Random Question

Just curious....anyone know how and why dogs sleep SOOO much? My dogs sleep all night and then sleep most of the day- especially if the sun is out and they can catch a sunbeam to lie in. It amazes me how much they really sleep! I mean they are 1 and 2 years old, and are so lazy! WHen they play they play hard but that isn't for very long!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Felurian

Because they can!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Wolfpack

I think it's because they don't have anything else to do.They don't have to worry about food, they don't have to worry about others "invading" their domain , they don't have to worry about anything...
My dog does the same thing.Oh and my 2 tomcats also.It's in their natural instinct

Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I read somewhere that dogs sleep 16 hours a day and cats sleep 20. sounds wrong but that is what it said
Old 02-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

I believe that smkie. I know Kat sleeps ALOT. She gets up to eat, she'll run and attack her hanging toy, play for 15 mins 20 mins then curls up to sleep again. Thinking about it I bet she is only awake 4 hours total of a day. Lately she and I have been argueing over whose computer chair this is. Its right in front of the window and she has made claims to it.
Princess sleeps alot if she has nothing better to do. She is awake more than Kat. What a life. Eat, sleep and have everything handed to you.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
I read somewhere that dogs sleep 16 hours a day and cats sleep 20. sounds wrong but that is what it said

I believe it. for sure on the cat part. I think my cat sleeps 23 hours a day and the one hour she is awake is about an hour before we are supposed to get up and she walks around meowing (very loudly, I might add) for food. She knows she will get it when we get up, so she tries to get us up earlier. She walks on our chests, kneads our stomachs, lies on us and purrs, steps on our heads, knocks off our alarm clock, knocks over my purse.....anything she can to annoy us on our last hour of sleep. Then she gets to sleep ALL day long.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Makes you wonder what they dream of...I know Bronki ate great food in his dreams, he would just chomp and slurp away, where mary is a bit on the chase dream side, I always feel good when they have a tail thumping happy dream, Vic has some scary ones still, not as many as when he first came, he always ends up hic uping at the end.
Guess you can tell I sleep with them...wonder what they think of my dreams...I once read in a story that if you slept forehead to forehead you would have the same dream. I tried it for a long time but it never happened.
I wrote a poem about Bronki's dream..don't laugh
Take me with you into your dreams
we'll run through a field of clover
Then we'll lie 'neath a lilac bush
'til your dream day is over.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Dog Spoiler

My dogs sleep like bricks. No movement cept them breathing. Occasional howling and barking.

They also sleep around 20 hours a day.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Makes you wonder what they dream of...I know Bronki ate great food in his dreams, he would just chomp and slurp away, where mary is a bit on the chase dream side, I always feel good when they have a tail thumping happy dream, Vic has some scary ones still, not as many as when he first came, he always ends up hic uping at the end.
Guess you can tell I sleep with them...wonder what they think of my dreams...I once read in a story that if you slept forehead to forehead you would have the same dream. I tried it for a long time but it never happened.
I wrote a poem about Bronki's dream..don't laugh
Take me with you into your dreams
we'll run through a field of clover
Then we'll lie 'neath a lilac bush
'til your dream day is over.
That is a very pretty poem you wrote.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S.
Just curious....anyone know how and why dogs sleep SOOO much? My dogs sleep all night and then sleep most of the day- especially if the sun is out and they can catch a sunbeam to lie in. It amazes me how much they really sleep! I mean they are 1 and 2 years old, and are so lazy! WHen they play they play hard but that isn't for very long!
I've been told that dogs nap so much because they LOVE so hard! takes alot of energy you know. lol