Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Melissa S.'s Avatar
Melissa S. Melissa S. is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 109
Default Random Question

Just curious....anyone know how and why dogs sleep SOOO much? My dogs sleep all night and then sleep most of the day- especially if the sun is out and they can catch a sunbeam to lie in. It amazes me how much they really sleep! I mean they are 1 and 2 years old, and are so lazy! WHen they play they play hard but that isn't for very long!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Because they can!
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2005, 12:29 PM
nicco nicco is offline
Wolfpack
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bucharest-Romania
Posts: 956
Post

I think it's because they don't have anything else to do.They don't have to worry about food, they don't have to worry about others "invading" their domain , they don't have to worry about anything...
My dog does the same thing.Oh and my 2 tomcats also.It's in their natural instinct
__________________
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,671
Default

I read somewhere that dogs sleep 16 hours a day and cats sleep 20. sounds wrong but that is what it said
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2005, 01:30 PM
becca_4321's Avatar
becca_4321 becca_4321 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 742
Default

I believe that smkie. I know Kat sleeps ALOT. She gets up to eat, she'll run and attack her hanging toy, play for 15 mins 20 mins then curls up to sleep again. Thinking about it I bet she is only awake 4 hours total of a day. Lately she and I have been argueing over whose computer chair this is. Its right in front of the window and she has made claims to it.
Princess sleeps alot if she has nothing better to do. She is awake more than Kat. What a life. Eat, sleep and have everything handed to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
bogolove's Avatar
bogolove bogolove is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
I read somewhere that dogs sleep 16 hours a day and cats sleep 20. sounds wrong but that is what it said

I believe it. for sure on the cat part. I think my cat sleeps 23 hours a day and the one hour she is awake is about an hour before we are supposed to get up and she walks around meowing (very loudly, I might add) for food. She knows she will get it when we get up, so she tries to get us up earlier. She walks on our chests, kneads our stomachs, lies on us and purrs, steps on our heads, knocks off our alarm clock, knocks over my purse.....anything she can to annoy us on our last hour of sleep. Then she gets to sleep ALL day long.
__________________
"You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother." - Rick Horowitz
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,671
Default

Makes you wonder what they dream of...I know Bronki ate great food in his dreams, he would just chomp and slurp away, where mary is a bit on the chase dream side, I always feel good when they have a tail thumping happy dream, Vic has some scary ones still, not as many as when he first came, he always ends up hic uping at the end.
Guess you can tell I sleep with them...wonder what they think of my dreams...I once read in a story that if you slept forehead to forehead you would have the same dream. I tried it for a long time but it never happened.
I wrote a poem about Bronki's dream..don't laugh
Take me with you into your dreams
we'll run through a field of clover
Then we'll lie 'neath a lilac bush
'til your dream day is over.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
shredhead (DOG LOVER)'s Avatar
shredhead (DOG LOVER) shredhead (DOG LOVER) is offline
Dog Spoiler
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 611
Default

My dogs sleep like bricks. No movement cept them breathing. Occasional howling and barking.

They also sleep around 20 hours a day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2005, 04:50 PM
bogolove's Avatar
bogolove bogolove is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Makes you wonder what they dream of...I know Bronki ate great food in his dreams, he would just chomp and slurp away, where mary is a bit on the chase dream side, I always feel good when they have a tail thumping happy dream, Vic has some scary ones still, not as many as when he first came, he always ends up hic uping at the end.
Guess you can tell I sleep with them...wonder what they think of my dreams...I once read in a story that if you slept forehead to forehead you would have the same dream. I tried it for a long time but it never happened.
I wrote a poem about Bronki's dream..don't laugh
Take me with you into your dreams
we'll run through a field of clover
Then we'll lie 'neath a lilac bush
'til your dream day is over.
That is a very pretty poem you wrote.
__________________
"You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother." - Rick Horowitz
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
avenlee's Avatar
avenlee avenlee is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S.
Just curious....anyone know how and why dogs sleep SOOO much? My dogs sleep all night and then sleep most of the day- especially if the sun is out and they can catch a sunbeam to lie in. It amazes me how much they really sleep! I mean they are 1 and 2 years old, and are so lazy! WHen they play they play hard but that isn't for very long!
I've been told that dogs nap so much because they LOVE so hard! takes alot of energy you know. lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site