Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Well I have a cropped dog, so I'm sure you guys know my opinion.

For me personally, I see no point in cropping a pet dog (as can be seen by my two dogs that are pets that have natural ears). Except for a Dobe.. if I had a Dobe, even if it would just be a pet dog and never show, it'd be cropped/docked because I think they look like Coonhounds if left natural.

I had Sako's ears cropped because #1, I like how Amstaffs look cropped, and #2, just about everyone crops Amstaffs. Natural earred dogs are pretty rare, breeders in the US don't breed for "nice" ears, so it's just easier to crop. Any future Amstaff I have will be cropped.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

I'm also kind of "meh." I won't villainize you if you crop/dock and I wouldn't NOT get a dog breed I wanted just because the breeder I want crops or docks, but if it were to be universally banned for cosmetic purposes I'd consider it a gain for dogs overall.

That said, I don't have a problem with docking sheep or pigs because in my opinion, there's often a health/sanitation reason for that. Granted, part of that "health" reason is due to the conditions that some of the animals are raised in... but I won't get started on that one, especially since I'm very much an omnivore.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

General: As long as it's done well by someone who knows what they are doing and is cared for, I don't have a problem with it.

Personally: I strongly prefer dogs I own to have full ears and tails. Fortunately all breeds I'm interested in owning are kept intact except one, and that one is 50/50. I also prefer front dewclaws be left on as long as they are well-formed. These preferences are strong enough that I will likely pass on a docked/cropped/de-dewclawed dog.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Well, seeing as I only have one tailed dog and two with cropped ears, obviously I'm not against it. I think the decision to crop and dock should be left up to the owners/breeders/fanciers who want traditionally cropped and docked breeds.

Having been with puppies before, during, immediately after and days after cropping, I can't call the procedure cruel. Once the anesthetic wears off, they're running and playing and eating as normal. I'm sure it hurts, but when done right and taken care of afterward properly, you truly cannot tell. The anesthetic is what bothers them the most. Makes them cold, shakey, drunk, nauseous... once that's done, they're back to being puppies. Honestly, every dog I've spayed has shown a lot more pain than the 30+ puppies I've seen who were cropped properly and looked after properly. Now, people who take their BYB dogs to stupid vets who don't know anything about cropping, that is something I will never agree with. Aftercare is done wrong, the crop isn't done nicely, the whole thing is just a mess.

As for docking, if I'm ok with cropping, then I'm definitely ok with docking. It's a much less invasive procedure.

With all of that said, if either or both procedures are ever banned (which I hope they're not), I'd still own an Aussie with a tail. Should I decide to have another Doberman in the future, I'd own a Dobe with a tail and floppy ears, but it's not my preference. Especially having recently known a rescue Doberman with a tail who had to have it amputated because she broke it. Obviously that wouldn't happen to all dogs, but it happens often enough. I actually think natural Dobermans are pretty.

I am also not against debarking either when done for the right reasons. Or dewclaw removal, although I don't care one way or the other whether my dog has dews or not. Before having gotten involved with and knowing my Doberman breeder really well, I might have had a different opinion on all of this because I was uneducated and all of these procedures sounded cruel. But now I've been around it and experienced it all, and I'd be lying if I said I had a big problem with any of it.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Top Dog

We were not going to crop Byron's ears. He had been an accidental litter. Breeder left it up to us. He started getting ear infections, vet kept him to try to clear it up when we couldn't. Took him to our horse vet who asked why the hell isn't he cropped and he gave us a refferal and it was done much later than he should have been. Never had an infection again. I felt horrible. He was miserable for weeks with the infections, dragging head, whining . For him he just needed airflow. So yes I will crop dock breeds that traditionally have it done. Came home from crop and was a new dog.We also have a high accident home lol! My poor tawny broke her tail as a pup and never let me touch it again. Only tailless dogs now(just kidding).

Now no crop or dock is better than a bad one. Or no after care.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Top Dog

I see it as an unnecessary surgery, even more so than neutering because it doesn't really have any practical purpose for the owner either. But I don't really care if others do it, I just don't think I could ever bring myself to have it done to my own dog.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
The same way I feel about altering. It's not needed, nor ideal in most cases, but a personal preference and not to be villainized.
This for me, too. I would probably dock a traditionally docked breed. I also wouldn't want to deal with cropping, so I'd leave ears natural.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
dogstrong

For those who are okay with it, do you feel that it's okay for a non-traditional breed to get it done? Like, say, a lab?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I personally don't care for cropping. Docking, well, I have a dog with a docked tail. Personally, I think Boxers look weird with tails, so if I were to get another I would probably get a docked.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACD/BCx ::
Marquis' Livin' On Tulsa Time "Tulsa" 2014 ACD
& part-time resident Corral West Call Me A Grimm Fairytale "Story" 2012 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
such sights to show you

Eh. I think most (if not almost all) in this day and age is done purely for looks, but at the same time I don't think it's worse than Hitler. My personal preference is for natural tails and ears but as long as whoever does the procedure knows what they are doing (including good anesthesia and pain management) I can't really summon much outrage over it.