Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

I like the way most traditionally cropped and/or docked dogs look. I've done the after ear care on a dane, and it was a PIA. But that was mostly because I was over worrying about what I was doing.

Its a strictly personal choice in the matter.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Those that said they are OK with/prefer removing dewclaws.. what are your opinions on declawing cats?

I mean, the main reason I hear against (and why I'm against) declawing cats is because of the amputation. Seems kind of mute if you're fine with chopping off dewclaws.

Just curious
From what I've seen, the anatomy is a bit different. There isn't as much to cut through with a dewclaw, especially as a two day old puppy. That said, I'm not a huge fan of removing them either. The horrible vet I used to work for used guillotine nail clippers to hack off the nails. And then you would find the little kitty 'fingers' all over the place. And then the cats would wake up and be absolutely devastated and you had to cut the bandages off the seriously pissed off kitty. They would hop around the cage like a bunny with the front legs tucked up. It's just a sucky thing to put them through.

If it's done, it should be done with a laser.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
From what I've seen, the anatomy is a bit different. There isn't as much to cut through with a dewclaw, especially as a two day old puppy. That said, I'm not a huge fan of removing them either. The horrible vet I used to work for used guillotine nail clippers to hack off the nails. And then you would find the little kitty 'fingers' all over the place. And then the cats would wake up and be absolutely devastated and you had to cut the bandages off the seriously pissed off kitty. They would hop around the cage like a bunny with the front legs tucked up. It's just a sucky thing to put them through.

If it's done, it should be done with a laser.
Yeah, dewclaws are cut off when the puppies are only a couple of days old. They cut them before the bone fuses, so it's a really easy process.

All of my dogs have their dewclaws except for Chloe- her breeder removes them from her litters. It makes cutting her nails SO much easier than the others. I can't even see where her dewclaws were- no scars, no weird patterns of fur growth, etc. She's the most agile of all our dogs as well.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Other than having to clip them - I'm curious what the issue with dew claws is. I've heard people say they get caught on things. For those who have dogs with them, is that frequent for you?

Both of mine have front dew claws (I even googled a picture just to make sure I wasn't calling them by the wrong name), and I've never had an issue at all, even with all the off leash running my guys do in the woods and brush.

The ears and tail I get from a visual standpoint - like I said, the look doesn't do it for me, but it is obviously a big change and I can understand people doing it because it looks good and right to them. I'm just not sure I'd ever notice dew claws visually, and like I said, I've never actually seen a dog have an issue with them. Have I just been lucky?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Other than having to clip them - I'm curious what the issue with dew claws is. I've heard people say they get caught on things. For those who have dogs with them, is that frequent for you?

Both of mine have front dew claws (I even googled a picture just to make sure I wasn't calling them by the wrong name), and I've never had an issue at all, even with all the off leash running my guys do in the woods and brush.

The ears and tail I get from a visual standpoint - like I said, the look doesn't do it for me, but it is obviously a big change and I can understand people doing it because it looks good and right to them. I'm just not sure I'd ever notice dew claws visually, and like I said, I've never actually seen a dog have an issue with them. Have I just been lucky?
I can't recall any dogs I know having issues with them.

Izzie uses hers all the time and it isn't a big deal to keep them dremelled nice like the rest of her nails. I mean if you don't do your dogs nails at all I guess they're an issue because they don't get worn down like the other nails.

My sport vet strongly advises against removing dewclaws plus she's an advocate of tails. When watching dogs weave in agility it's amazing to see how much work the tail does and then to feel the muscles along the tail on a dog with awesome weaves? Incredible.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
& the Muttly Crew

There was a conversation on a Flatcoat list recently on the issue of dewclaws...it was an interesting discussion. People fell very strongly on both sides of the fence. For a long time I guess it was just one of those things people did...cheapo BYBs (all breeds) trying to save a buck or not paying attention to the puppies wouldn't do dewclaws...responsible breeders did...it was seen as a way to tell a puppy came from a Good Breeder. But the sentiments have changed quite a bit especially with recently information on the role a proper front dewclaw plays as a structural component of the wrist and in certain movements (most commonly cited article by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD here).

Nowadays some FCR breeders do and some don't. In the field crowd (actual hunting or field trial or hunt test or some combination thereof) there was a mix as well. Some in support of keeping dewclaws either because they'd heard of the research or because they aren't fans of elective surgery. Others opposed, either due to tradition or because of some dog or someone else's dog who had an issue with tearing a dewclaw one time, not necessarily out in the field. But reports of people who actually had one of the THEIR dogs tear a dewclaw (not this one guy they knew from way back whose brother's dog tore one) where rare...other injuries in the field were as or more common and it seemed to fall into the category of freak things that can happen to active working dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
My sport vet strongly advises against removing dewclaws plus she's an advocate of tails. When watching dogs weave in agility it's amazing to see how much work the tail does and then to feel the muscles along the tail on a dog with awesome weaves? Incredible.
Yeah this is one reason why I'm so pro-tail. I mean first off I just like tails...I like the look of tails and the big goofy over-the-top wagging of tails and being able to see what my dog is thinking while working a field with her back facing me...but also the way a dog moves in agility is definitely affected by the lack of tail. There is a blitz-fast Aussie here owned and ran by a world-team class handler and the dog is amazing but still just corners and weaves a bit differently because of the lack of counterweight. Has learned to compensate pretty well and is awesome to watch but it just bugs me . Many don't compensate nearly so well.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

My parents shepherd had back dew claws that were very loose and floppy, she got them caught on things constantly. After the third (more serious) injury which made her limp like she was totally lame and took a loooong time to heal, they got them removed when they had her spayed as well... Never seen problems with the front ones, though

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

I've seen a few dogs get dewclaws caught and ripped off on things, but thinking about it, not more than dogs I've seen get regular nails caught and split or torn off on things. Heck, I've ripped my own toenails off, and while that's really unpleasant, I'd rather not have my toes amputated to prevent it.

I can see the pros and cons to declaw removal, though. I've never heard anyone want to declaw their cats because it's preventative of an injury to the cat.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Sport Model Pug

An interesting video on dewclaws and hunting dogs.

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Sport Model Pug

Okay the vid isn't showing up... here's the link

http://vimeo.com/39124130

The Proudest Pug