Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Does your SO like your breed choice?

One of the few breeds that Josh and I can definitely agree on are border collies. I absolutely LOVE them and they have definitely grown on him. We will probably ALWAYS have a border collie or BC mix in this household. In fact, I've started looking into potential breeders for possible future border collie at some point. Kind of leaning towards a smooth coat.

Cricket isn't exactly a breed, but I know she has Josh sold on street dogs from Mexico. He adores that dog! We will definitely be rescuing another one day.

Ibizan Hounds- Josh is not a huge fan. He does like Joey somewhat, but they really aren't his breed of choice. If he could choose his breed it definitely wouldn't be a beezer.

I also really want a Xolo one day and he isn't fond of the hairless ones at ALL... he likes their temperament since they are so similar to Cricket's temperament, but the hairless dogs kind of freak him out.

What he DOES like...

Josh really likes herding breeds. He loves BCs, but seems really drawn to ACDs as well. He also loves bully breeds from APBTs all the way down to English Bulldogs and French Bulldogs. I actually wouldn't mind a frenchie one day as well.

Your turn. How does your SO feel about your breed choice or even "dog type" choice if you mainly stick with rescued mix breeds?
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

Chris is VERY particular on the dog breeds he likes. He picked out Gwen, but we didn't know what breed she was.

He prefers large dogs. He loves the Sibes, any kind of 'snow dog'. We're trying to find a small breed that we both like and it's nearly impossible.

He likes dogs but I don't think he really cares enough. At first, he might say no to certain breeds, but if I really wanted it, he wouldn't mind.

Although there is no way I could sneak a Frenchie in. He's not a fan of the pugs, bulldogs, etc. He likes very dog looking dogs.

And black dogs. Big, black, fluffy dogs.

I think a lot of his likes are just based on looks and not the actual temperament of the breed, so it might be easily to change his views. After talking to Lyzelle, I doubt he would want to have a Sibe. But they are gorgeous.

Anything wolf-like gets an immediate "WANT".

As far as future dogs.... I will get what I want, unless he really hates the dog. We will probably continue going with shelter/rescues. We WILL get a small breed. He can just get over that! (If I just give him a ferret, I could get away with any dog breed. )

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
such sights to show you

If he weren't married to me, I don't think my husband would have dogs at all. He likes dogs, some might even say he loves OUR dogs, but he's more of a cat person.

So he pretty much leaves it up to me. The only specific input I've gotten is that he doesn't like labs. And when we had our greyhound he used to joke about having a herd of them, so I think he'd love to have another retired racer someday. Other than that, I don't think he much cares about breed or mix. A dog is pretty much a dog to him.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Uhm, yes and no. Josh loves Boxers, so that went over pretty good. He's grown up with American Bulldogs, so the Bullies are not a hard sell for him AT ALL. Rider is a little weird. We think he is an ACD/BC. Josh would not have picked him for himself at all, and I don't know that if anything happened to me, that he would be able to handle him.

He prefers a little bit of a "harder" dog, which is why he kind of stepped away from the Vizsla. He would LOVE LOVE LOVE a Cur someday, but we just don't have the resources right now to keep up with their energy. With Josh working alternating 52/40 hour weeks, it just wouldn't work. There is a fantastic Griff breeder around here, and those dogs are a little bit harder, a little bit less energy, yet still very drivey and versatile. They can go from a point, to a retrieve, to a bunny run, to chilling on the couch, which is what he is looking for.

As far as my breeds, for right now and the future, Koolies, BC's, and ACD's, the only one he is really sold on is the ACD, though he doesn't think I need a puppy next year. Again, it has to do with the hardness of the dog. Honestly, I prefer the same in a dog, so we tend to jive pretty well for breed choices.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Aware

Sigh, Rick. We do not have similar tastes in breeds... at all, lol.

I'm really into medium-large intense herding and working breeds, as well as bully breeds, he's... not so much. He's really all over the place. He likes beagles, chis, shibas, cardis, poms, tollers, anything under 50lbs that wants to snuggle with him. He's hinted at another lab, but I reallllly do not want. We did see a gold border collie in a car yesterday that he decided he really liked, so that's a start lol. All of that being said, he is (and refers to himself as) a cat person who likes dogs.

I should say that he has extremely limited in the breeds that he's met. He's 19 and has met probably less than 50 dogs in his life.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Not a Border Collie

Josh and I have very similar tastes in dogs. He pretty much likes all dogs though LOL. We actually met and started hanging out because he loved Quinn so much!

We both love ESs (obviously!), Border Collies, Corgis, Aussies, Australian Cattle Dogs, he loves Papillons even more than I do, Flat Coats, Tollers, Koolies. He doesn't like Chihuahuas or Cavs, or the look of Borzois as much as I do - but I'm working on him He does like Spitz types more than I tend to and has a big soft spot for Keeshonds.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
The Monster.

Nope! He does not like high maintenance dogs. My breeds of choice are as high maintenance as they come. Heck, he doesn't like maintaining low maintenance dogs. It's a shame, but we survive.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

I have two breeds. Chinese Cresteds and Akitas. My husband would probably not own either of those breeds if he weren't with me. I know, for a fact, that he would never own a crestie. It has nothing to do with their appearance, either. Their temperament/personality is just totally the opposite of what he likes in a dog. Our Akita, on the other hand, he loves, but would most likely not want a dog like her for himself. She's what we like to call A LOT of dog.

He has an English Shepherd and probably always will. He's expressed interest in owning a Leonberger (which shocked me!) ,but his breed is definitely the ES.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
SBT Lover!!

In a word, yes.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Josh and I have very similar tastes in dogs. He pretty much likes all dogs though LOL. We actually met and started hanging out because he loved Quinn so much!
I just wanted to say that there are a TON of Josh's on here.

And that Quinn often starts major discussions in my head about ES's. If only they were a touch more drivey, and a touch less reactive-prone.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle