Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie, a thousand times yes. Just... a thousand times.
Payton, yes. Definitely. As much as he has driven me to tears of frustration, I love him so much and am glad he's in my life.

As for Pepper, I guess you can put me in the horrible camp. I love her desperately, I really do. And yet she is the opposite of the kind of dog I like. She is MY girly and she's here to stay, but if I had my choice of dogs, Pepper would not be it. If I could have lived my life without ever having brought her into my home and falling so much in love with her that I hated being without her... I would have done so.
I have said before that I picked my boys, but Pepper picked me.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Suzie: Absolutely. She is pretty much the perfect dog. She's lazy and mellow, and she isn't a challenge at all. She's the kind of dog you could stick in any family and she'd just fit in. I love her to bits. She's like the lazy version of me. You don't notice her because she just does the right thing all the time.

Jack: Same as Suzie. I would in a heartbeat. He is the bounciest, happiest, fastest, most playful dog I've ever met. And he has an off switch and sleeps like a log. At the dog park he doesn't stop running. He gets so many comments as he speeds by people. He jumped through my window from outside once because the screen was out. He had the brains to take a running start too. He makes the whole family laugh every single day, he's a hoot.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

Schaffer wasn't my choice, but yes, I'd take him again.
And then I'd do everything, all our training and socialization, differently. He's an amazing dog, and if he'd been trained differently, he'd be completely perfect.

With Kailey, it's the same thing. Now if you offered me Kailey's clone four years from now, I'd turn it down, but she's a great dog for this point in my life. I hope to have a more serious agility dog in a couple years, but I couldn't handle that at this point.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I may be the odd one out for saying this, but I ABSOLUTELY plan on having issue dogs in the future. Maybe not for keeps, but definitely at least fostering. I enjoy the work that Frodo and I have done with his people and dog issues, and yeah, I'm really really proud of how far he has come. It's not Frodo's dog issues or people issues that limit us (and maybe I should have been more clear about this in my first post), it's the SA that I can't stand

We are working on it, and it is getting better, but holy cow does that alter our lives. More than I would have ever thought before having to deal with it. I can totally deal with not being able to do certain things with Frodo.
Can't go to the dog park? Don't care.
Can't walk Frodo through a crowded park? Don't care.
Can't let him loose in all situations? Don't care.
Can't leave your house whenever you want/need to? CARE, ALL THE CARE!

And I think if we were in our own home, it would be a lot easier to deal with. No, letting him stress out and bark is not a good solution, but if I had to stop by the house quick, I could. But living in an apartment makes it NOT AT ALL OKAY because we risk noise complaints and eventually the apartment building saying we have to get rid of the dog.
On that same token I would not take in any more issue dogs while living in an apartment, but down the road when we have a home of our own, I totally would. Just not SA if I can help it!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Vizsla mom

I would never pick Squirt again ..he's 19yrs old& he was PERFECT for 6yr old me to play with. He came from a puppy mill (my parents didn't know at the time) and he is terribly food aggresive& also very wary of people. He is my love but if someone said here's a dog& described Squirt, I would pass. At 6, I wanted a Yorkie. We couldn't find a breeder so we got a mix about a year later after searching for a breeder for forever.

As I grew up, I realized I still loved Yorkies but they were better off with someone else. I wanted a running partner& then, an agility partner. We researched& I got put on a waiting list for a Vizsla. Since bringing her home 4.5months ago, I simply couldn't be happier. I got a 37lb lap dog who wants nothing more than to have me love her. She has DRIVE .. she is smart as a whip& yes, some days I wonder why I ever brought a psycho high-energy dog into our world but then I come to my senses and realize she's absolutely wonderful for our world!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I would totally take in more dogs with issues, by choice. Dogs who are food aggressive, dog aggressive, fear aggressive with strangers, can't handle crowds, dangerous and inappropriately protective in the home, SA, etc.

I would not take in another dog who is all of the above.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Sport Model Pug

Yes. Izzie was supposed to be a border collie from the humane society. That border collie went to live with a nice couple of doctors who run long distances every day.

Izzie is a great dog and I have adored her from day one. Even though we struggle sometimes in agility and other activities I love working through things with her... Well it's more of me struggling and Izzie going "well if you don't know what you're doing I'm not going to listen to you" lol.

So yeah, I would pick her again in a heart beat as most of our problems are me anyways lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I may be the odd one out for saying this, but I ABSOLUTELY plan on having issue dogs in the future. Maybe not for keeps, but definitely at least fostering. I enjoy the work that Frodo and I have done with his people and dog issues, and yeah, I'm really really proud of how far he has come. It's not Frodo's dog issues or people issues that limit us (and maybe I should have been more clear about this in my first post), it's the SA that I can't stand
You're not alone lol. Working through everything I have with Web & Kim as well as helping friends, family, clubmates, and (briefly) students work through issues is just immensely satisfying to me. That Webster is even functional now much less able to focus and compete and have fun at, of all things, dog agility trials...that Kim is my bombproof sidekick with insatiable curiosity and willingness to try anything and trust me utterly... I can't even describe the warmth and pride and adoration I have for both of them as a result not only of who they are but the journey that brought us here.

Mira is my soulmate and I don't mean to downplay how much I *love* how effortless our teamwork and bond is, either. To not have to generalize or worry about distractions or anything like that...to have a dog so bonded and so willing to please and engage right out of the box is wonderful too...

My future "project" dogs may be fosters rather than keepers but I plan to have issues in the future . Life is so carefree these days in terms of majors canine behavioral projects that I borrowed a puppy, remember. Lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm All Ears

Hm... as far as dogs with issues go, I think it would depend on what the issues were for me. I would definitely not want to deal with SA again. However, I really have discovered how much I love dealing with a more 'complex' kind of dog. Summer is very straightforward and it's nice to have that around. It's never been a worry for her (aside from the SA). I can take her anywhere and she's great. She's bombproof. But Mia's sharper personality fits me much better. I am always proud of how great she is. It's been work but very rewarding.

I've really been thinking about Trey lately. I think I might would try another dog with such extreme fear issues as he had in the future at the right time. I don't have room for that right now, though. But I find myself thinking of him and how he was pretty much stuck at home because his fear was so crippling. I have so many more tools that I could use with a dog like him now though! I often wish I could just have him back for another try. I think a shut down/shy rescue sheltie is in my future. If not a sheltie, maybe a similar breed.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
such sights to show you

I dig it, PW.

I love how easy Squash is, and how easily we work together. He can be a little uneasy in new situations but he always acclimates and bounces back well. I love having a goofy, funny, go anywhere, do-anything, love-everyone dog. His energy and inherent mischievousness can be challenging, but at the end of the day he is temperamentally an easy, easy dog.

But at the same time, I actually LIKE some of the harder things about my other dogs.

Pip is shy and doesn't care for a lot of things. He pretty much ignores strange dogs, but he gets very worried about unfamiliar environments and fears human Stranger Danger. Definiately NOT a go anywhere, do-anything dog. But he's PERFECT for how I like to go to the dog park - I don't go to the dog park to socialize, I go for a nice, quiet hike in the woods with my dog and he's perfect for that. We just stay in our own little world, he sticks close by me, and I can zone out without worrying about where he is or what he's getting into or who he's bothering. And at home, he is the sweetest, sweetest boy.

Maisy is... Maisy lol. She's kind of dog-socially inept. The majority of the time she is fine with other dogs, and then the rest of the time... not. She can be fairly DR although her MO primarily seems to be stealthily evoking snark from other dogs and then reacting back to them. She can get completely obsessed with and distracted by other dogs in a class setting, can be a bully, and plays really roughly. She's not a dog park dog, she's not any kind of ring sports dog (oh god imagining her off leash in any venue... just NO). But she is the BEST mushing dog, the best big sister dog, as sweet as can be, loves ALL humans... and she has taught me SO much about training, patience, acceptance, and judgment (like... judging a situation and how to handle it, not being judgmental which I did just fine on my own ) that I would choose her again a thousand times even knowing all of her quirks ahead of time.

I like having easy dogs, but I like having hard dogs, too. God help me, I actually like it. I do the things each dog is easy about with that dog - Pip and Squash at the dog park, Maisy not. Squash and Maisy mushing, Pip not. Squash at Rally, the others not. Pip and Maisy help hold down the couch when I'm feeling lazy, Squash not so much.

I guess part of the joy of having multiple dogs is that everyone is good at something, even if everyone isn't good at everything.