Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Default Raw feeders; help with organization!

Where/how do you all keep your pre-weighed meals each week? Zip-lock bags? I'm drawing a blank on any other ideas, but Frag's meals are over a pound and I cannot fit them all into a quart-sized ziploc baggy. It's annoying to bag one meal in two different bags, as well.. and I can't afford to spend a fortune on these bags all the time OR larger gallon sized bags when I'm just going to throw them out!

I need something organizational and economical, that is relatively easy to access/use/pacakge. I weigh out meat about once a week and put all of their meals in the bottom drawer of my fridge for the rest of the week.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I put multiple meals in gallon size bags.

Depending on the shape of the food you're having trouble with, you could get the wide-bottom quart size bags instead. Or plastic containers and just wash and reuse.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

For storage in the freezer, I use either gallon sized baggies Or the 2 gallon baggies. I will also reuse the bags, just turn them inside out and clean. Depending on the shape, you can also use the shoe box totes, depending on the size and shape of what you are freezing for your guys.

I usually end up stocking up on the gallon baggies when Meijers has them on sale. Or I will get the 2 gallon baggies. Stuff a couple days worth of foods into a baggie, and when its empty, I will wash it out and reuse it. All the dog/cat food goes into a 5 gallon (I think) tote in the fridge. That way its all contained and I dont' have to worry about any leakage or anyone smelling it.
When I start ordering the bulk (we are on the same FB feeding list) I've thought about using the shoe box totes for the boys in the fridge, IF I can get them in color.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ziploc baggies in a plastic shopping bag on the freezer to keep them together, just in baggies in the fridge. I move up 3 days at a time.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Alrighty, this is what I ended up doing...

Frag, Sir, and Recon each have their own "bin" (which were .97 at target for the little ones!) in the fridge with their meat for the week... this seems to be the easiest way to go.. so I can just grab some out for each meal as long as they get the whole bin in a week! Glad I had the space in my fridge.. haha.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Kung Pow Fish

i dont prebag meals. i dont use bags anymore at all, because every single bag iv ever purchased leaks when it thaws. i buy dollar store plastic bins and throw meat into that to freeze. when i thaw bins, i just eyeball it. i dont weigh, i dont measure. i monitor pewps and ribbiness

a lot of people make raw too complicated. the key is balance over time. you dont have to have ever ratio perfect every meal, as long as it amounts to the same thing in the end.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Kung Pow Fish

also, howdy neighbor. i recognized your oranges and sour cream from carnivore carryout XD
Old 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
i dont prebag meals. i dont use bags anymore at all, because every single bag iv ever purchased leaks when it thaws. i buy dollar store plastic bins and throw meat into that to freeze. when i thaw bins, i just eyeball it. i dont weigh, i dont measure. i monitor pewps and ribbiness

a lot of people make raw too complicated. the key is balance over time. you dont have to have ever ratio perfect every meal, as long as it amounts to the same thing in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
also, howdy neighbor. i recognized your oranges and sour cream from carnivore carryout XD
HAHA! We have the whole crew over here, huh?

That is what I have finally gotten over... The three bins have enough meat to balance out the week, and each meal is eyed now. SO, not as complicated as I used to make it. The whole meat shipment I get will be going out in the snow until I need to bring it in to thaw. XD

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Active Pup

I use plastic tubs (I think most of them are ziplock brand, actually) because I can reuse them. I did ziplock bags for a while, but washing then was a pain, and eventually I stopped washing them and just chucked them.

So I invested in some tubs. I have three sizes: very large ones that will hold two large duck frames; smaller square ones that hold one chicken leg quarter, and smaller rectangular ones that hold a pound of ground meat with room to spare.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

You can't fit meals over 1lb. in quart sized baggies? That's weird.. I bag up Piper's boneless meals and they're about 1.3lbs. and they fit with room to spare.

I use quart sized baggies for almost everything. I don't really care that I end up throwing them out, it's just easier for me. I bag up bone in meals and boneless meals separately, one for each feeding (except for Piper's boneless, one baggie = 2 feedings). Turkey necks I put in gallon sized baggies; my butcher cuts them down for me so they fit fine. I've really never had an issue with the baggies leaking.. maybe every once in awhile but it's rare. I use the Walmart brand ones.