Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I know they're the same vaccine. But if the package states "1 year" there's legally nothing they can do to make it a 3 year. We ONLY use the 3 year vaccines at work, even if it's the dog's first vaccine, because we don't want to deal with that crap.
I didn't know they actually bothered with 2 different vials. I thought they were all the same, just the paperwork mattered. After a few dogs, a few states and a few vets, I 've never encountered any problems other than a break in the paper trail. Even had a few one years get changed to 3 years when proper paperwork was submitted
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Yes. It's called rabies giganticism. 100% of dogs given the rabies vaccine before 12 months of age will get taller or heavier after being vaccinated.

But I'm guessing he already suffers from high prey drive and obsessive tendencies. Poor Stan.

You hit it right on the nose. ****. I heard most cases were fatal within sixteen years :'(
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I know they're the same vaccine. But if the package states "1 year" there's legally nothing they can do to make it a 3 year. We ONLY use the 3 year vaccines at work, even if it's the dog's first vaccine, because we don't want to deal with that crap.
Same vaccine, just depends on how they write up the paperwork. The doctor's assistant also gave the vaccine before the vet did the exam which is probably not legal. Unless they've changed things since I worked for a vet (which was admittedly, quite a while ago, but I don't think they have), in this state, only a vet is allowed to give a rabies vaccine.

The dog wasn't licensed, so it wasn't an issue of buying his license, I just wanted him to be legally covered with a rabies vaccine.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Same vaccine, just depends on how they write up the paperwork. The doctor's assistant also gave the vaccine before the vet did the exam which is probably not legal. Unless they've changed things since I worked for a vet (which was admittedly, quite a while ago, but I don't think they have), in this state, only a vet is allowed to give a rabies vaccine.

The dog wasn't licensed, so it wasn't an issue of buying his license, I just wanted him to be legally covered with a rabies vaccine.
I think in every state the vaccine must be given by a veterinarian, so nope, that wasn't legal either. Obviously they totally know what they're doing
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

While I feel the original article is a little over the top, a friend of my sister's has spent over $17,000 treating her dog after a very severe rabies vaccine reaction. Seizures, incontinence... its horrible. She is showing some new symptoms now and its life threatening. She went to the vaccine company, who offered her $1,000 *if* she would keep her mouth shut about the reaction.

http://championofmyheart.com/

I have only vaccinated Wesley and Riot once, because there was a parvo outbreak. I didn't do their puppy shots and they most likely won't get vaccinated again. Wesley's sister was vaccinated in exactly the suggested protocol, and almost died of Parvo.

Part of my aversion to vaccines is because I have had two very serious vaccine reactions- first a penicillin shot in my lower back which caused my entire back to be bruised, my heart rate to skyrocket. I am also horribly allergic to flu vaccines, and the worst reaction I ever had was going into shock (not fun). I have never actually gotten the flu (I thought I had this week, but it turns out it was the stomach flu which is a different virus).

I understand why people are cautious and get vaccines, I really do. I just don't do it for my dogs because I feel it is too risky.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?

Last edited by OwnedByBCs; 01-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
vaccine reactions- first a penicillin shot in my lower back which caused my entire back to be bruised, my heart rate to skyrocket.
That sucks about the penicillin, but it's an antibiotic, not a vaccine.

There's a chance that any injection, drug, or chemical could provoke a negative reaction in an individual.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
That sucks about the penicillin, but it's an antibiotic, not a vaccine.

There's a chance that any injection, drug, or chemical could provoke a negative reaction in an individual.
I understand that, but it was an example of my perhaps unreasonable aversion to what I consider to be unnecessary medications, vaccines, whatever- I have had so many issues with them myself.

I did say "two vaccine reactions"- which you're right is not accurate- I meant "injections". Sorry

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Obey the Toad.

I guess I really don't see the rabies vaccination (for my dogs) as "unnecessary." There have been cases around here of rabies, and I have one dog who will go after critters, so it's not exactly unlikely that she would be biten by one. Also, if I want to be "legal" or participate in pretty much any dog activity they need to have it. It's not like a dog that gets rabies just gets over it after the disease has run it's course.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Is rabies 100% infective if something gets bitten by something that has rabies?

I mean, I know it's completely fatal, but is the infection rate itself 100%?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Is rabies 100% infective if something gets bitten by something that has rabies?

I mean, I know it's completely fatal, but is the infection rate itself 100%?
Nothing has a 100% infection rate. There are so many things that can happen. The concern is that when something DOES get infected with rabies, it's fatal, and highly contagious. Skunks are often carriers of rabies even if they themselves aren't affect by it. Bats can be too. There is a slight chance the immune system could prevent infection from happening or fight the infection while it's still mild, even without being vaccinated.